When ever you attend a Filipino gathering, you will always find Pancit Canton. This is very popular in my country that whenever you are in a Filipino party, this is guaranteed to be present. Pancit is also a MUST and always served on BIRTHDAYS TO WISH SOMEBODY A LONG LIFE AHEAD.
Experience a little bit of the Filipino Culture embodied in a meal.
Now, it is not my birthday today, but I made this Pancit Canton because I was just craving for one. This right here, in front of you my dear readers, is a Filipino Food Tradition and I believe you need to learn it because this is utterly famous every nooks and crannies in my country and even around the world… WHEN THERE IS A FILIPINO, THERE IS PANCIT. How does that mantra sound?
And I am not lying. We Filipinos tend to be very proud of our Pancit Tradition. We bring it to our Christmas potluck, Company party, give it as birthday present and we make sure it will be the center of the discussion… that’s how proud we are of this meal.
If you are concern with how to get the noodles, Pancit Canton is now being carried in most of the grocery stores nowadays. Just head to your International Food Section and you will find it there. And mind you, it only cost less that $ 5.00. And it is fast prep- less than 40 minutes. Another plus, it is very portable for pack lunch, for pot luck and it is still good the next day. So wait no more and make this Pancit Canton, will yah?
There are so many ways how to prepare Pancit Canton. Pretty much, it is a stir fried noodles, loaded with veggies and various meat in them. You can add shrimps, pork, cabbage, carrots in your Pancit but to make it more unique, add in pork liver since it does add a distinct flavor. You can skip the liver part if you are averse to the idea but I tell you, if you skip it, you miss a little bit of distinct flavor but it does not mean that your Pancit Canton will not tastes good. Serve your Pancit with lemon which is the famous way how we Pinoy serve it; or,pair it with rice or simply eat it directly. And here is a weird part…you can make a sandwich with Pancit Canton; just tuck it in between sliced bread as filling. Enjoy it, will yah?
AN ISLAND FAVORITE FILIPINO PANCIT CANTON RECIPE DONE IN 40 MINUTES
- 1 pack 8 oz flour stick Pancit Canton
- 2-3 inches carrots Sliced into Strips
- 1/2 of large pepper cut into strips
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped
- 1 lb pork loin in thin cuts cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 lb liver OPTIONAL
- 1/2 lb shrimp peeled
- Vegetables like cabbage spinach , or Chinese cabbage ( any of this)
- Green beans cut into bite size
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 cans 32 oz Chicken Broth
- 1 Chicken bouillon or Soy sauce to taste
- Lemon for serving
- Green onion cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Heat the cooking oil in a large pan and saute' the garlic and onion. Add the pork and cook until brown. Add in the liver (if using), and shrimp; and cook until the shrimp turn orange. Add water or Chicken stock and add in carrots and green beans. Season your soup mixture with soy sauce and bouillon. Season according to your taste. Add in salt if needed. Add in the Pancit canton, mix and cook until the Canton is soft but not soggy. Usually the time when the liquid has been soak through by the noodles. Turn off fire and add in the vegetables. Serve with lemon .ENJOY!