Non greasy baked and simple to make.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, slice into cube
- 4-5 tablespoon ice water
- 1 egg used as egg wash
- 1/4 cup onion,chopped
- 1 lb ground chicken or ground pork
- 1 medium sized potato, cubed (in the video, I froze my potato, so I drain it)
- 12 oz frozen fthawwed peas and carrots, drain water
- 2/3 cup raisins
- soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon oil
- water to soften potato
- Pre heat oven at 400 F and place rack in the middle of the oven. Line baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside until ready to use.
- Put ingredients 1 to 5 in a medium sized bowl and mix with wire whisk. Intermittently add iced cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time and knead until all of the ingredients come together. I used about 5 tablespoons of iced cold water in this recipe.
- Wrap crust in a plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- When ready, flatten crust and using a cookie cutter cut into rounds.
- Add filling in the middle and seal. As shown in the video
- Heat cooking oil and saute' onion until transparent.
- Add in the meat and cook until brown.
- Add the potato and about 1/4 cup or more and cook potato until soft.
- Add the peas and carrot and season mixture with soy sauce, pepper and salt. Season according to your taste. Add the raisins, mix all of the ingredients and turn off heat.
- Let the Empanada filling cool and prepare to assemble.
NOTE: THIS IS A LARGE BATCH FILLING COMPARED TO THE AMOUNT OF THE CRUST. I FREEZE THE LEFT OVER FILLING FOR THE NEXT USE.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Filipino