This is a soft ,cheesy and pillowy Ensaymada that you can make at home. It has step by step clear instruction and video to guide you. Gone are the days when you have to buy one.
- 2 1/4 All Purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Active Dry yeast
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup butter (softened at room temperature)
- WATER ROUX:
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup water
FOR THE TOPPINGS:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened for easy spreading)
- sharp cheddar or mixed Mexican cheese
- BRUSH PAN AND BOWL WITH MELTED BUTTER AND SET ASIDE.
- Mix flour and water in a small saucepan.Turn on heat in low fire and mix until pasty. Let cool and set aside until use. This is how pasty looks like : pasty
- Warm 1/2 cup milk and add the yeast. Set aside for 5- 10 minutes until bubbles from.
- Mix flour, sugar, salt in a large size bowl and make a well in the middle. Add the proofed yeast and mix using a wooden spoon or spatula. You can use your hand too if you want. just coat it with small amount of oil
- Add the egg and mix until dough is incorporated. then add the water roux and try to mix until dough is incorporated .
- Add the butter intermittently. Add small amount of the butter, then mix, Add butter then mix, add the rest of the butter until you are able to form a smooth workable dough. Transfer the dough in oil bowl and cover with cloth or plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for an hour until it double its size.
- When ready, punch the dough twice and work on it in a floured surface. Form a circle and divide into 16 pieces. (depending on the size of Ensaymada you want)
- Form each piece into a log and coil dough from one end to another end. Transfer coiled dough and put into a prepared pan. let rise for another 30 minutes.
- Bake in a pre heated 350 F oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool and frost
f FOR THE FROSTING:
- Soften butter and spread on top of the bread. sprinkle with cheese first and sugar.
- You can also mix the butter and sugar first and frost into the Ensaymada and add the cheese.
Yes this is a sticky recipe. As you added the butter, knead until you are sure the butter had been incorporated. So, maybe, 4-5 minutes.
BE PATIENT WHEN THE DOUGH IS STICKY. DON'T ADD TOO MUCH FLOUR. JUST COAT HAND WITH OIL.
- Category: Brunch
Keywords: #how to make ensaymada #how to make soft ensaymada # how to make soft ensaymada #what is recipe for ensaymada # filipino ensaymada recipe