I hated banana. Somehow, I felt obligated to have them in my house and see it on top of the fruit stand because my daughter loves banana smoothie. So I always found myself in the banana aisle looking for the ripest bananas. For some reason, the ripest is the sweetest.
After my uncle ( bless his soul) egged me to eat banana saying, " It's good for your health, lot of potassium which is good for the muscles of your heart. Come on, eat... " I still need to be pushed and be bribed to eat them. Then out of the blue, I came up with this recipe just for the purpose of eating banana in different form.
I pretty much hid the banana somewhere in the batter and magically melded the banana into it and turn it into uhhhhh, bread. Not a rocket science but can you imagine the creativity unfolding here?
When this recipe came to be, I changed the Food Network basic banana recipe and added some twists in it by adding some of my favorite ingredients with the goal of annihilating the banana shape and look. Talk about sneaky eating huh! Mashed bananas with apple plus chocolate equals banana bread; and I am telling you, I ate it like there is no banana in it. I even it made this twice in a week. Of course there is the " smell" of the banana, but somehow, the chocolate, ground cinnamon and apple hid that; and they blended perfectly. I like the texture of the soft apple sneaking in the bread's recesses and the gentle bitterness and crunchiness of the chocolate chips is a sweet surprise too as you chew the bread. Who would have thought that these three can become best friends...
UPDATE: Currently, I am experiencing a banana hysteria. I added the banana in my ice cream and made a banana split. I added caramel in it and even drank a little bit of my daughter's banana smoothie. Now I am thinking myUncle is smiling upon me from heaven.
WEIGHT WATCHER'S POINTS :
Servings: 10• Serving Size: 1• Old Points: 4 • Points+: 5 • Calories :263• Fat: 10.5 g • Protein: 3.9g • Carb:20 g • Fiber: .8g • Sugar:20.2 g • Sodium: 322mg
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup butter ( 1 stick), at room temperature, melted
- 2 pieces over ripe banana
- 1 small Red Dellicious Apple, chop ( 1 cup when chopped)
- ½ cup Chocolate Chips Semi Sweet
- Grease bread pan with oil and line it with parchment paper. Set aside. In a medium bowl, mix flour,baking powder,baking soda, cinnamon and salt uisng a wire whisk. Set aside.Place the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and mix until pale in color, or sugar is melted. Add in the egg one at a time and continue mixing in low speed.Add the mashed banana until fully combined. Add in the flour mixture and mix in low speed just until the flour disappear. Remove bowl from the electric mixer stand and fold in ¼ of the chocolate chips and fold in the apple.Gently transfer batter into the prepared bread pan and flatten the batter and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top. Bake at 350 F for 40 to 50 minutes or until the skewer/toothpick comes out clean.