HOW TO MAKE BILO BILO WITH LANGKA (JACKFRUIT). Bilo Bilo is a famous dessert in the Philippines made with glutinous rice flour formed into balls.
- 1 medium size purple sweet potato, sliced
- 1 medium size yellow yam, sliced
- 1 can 10 oz jack fruit in syrup, drain and cut in strips
- 1 cup large tapioca pearls, cooked
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 can coconut milk
FOR THE GLUTINOUS RICE BALLS:
- 1 to 1 1/4 cup Glutinous rice flour
- 3/4 cup water ( to mix with the glutinous rice flour)
- yellow and purple food color (just a hint of color)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
TO MAKE THE GLUTINOUS RICE BALLS:
- Mix the glutinous rice,sugar and water in a mixing bowl.
- Mix by hand until you are able to easily make a dough. If the mixture is too wet, add glutinous flour 1 teaspoon at a time until you can form a ball .
- When the mixture is ready to work on, divide into 2 put in a separate bowl.
- Color each bowl mixture with purple and the other bowl mixture with orange food color.
- Form mixture into small balls and set aside.
- Pour water in a large pot and add sugar, yam and sweet potato. Let boil in medium heat to soften yam and sweet potato.
- When it's boiling, add in the coconut milk and the glutinous rice balls. Let simmer and let the glutinous balls float on top and test one piece and check if it is cook through inside. When there is a hint of solid white inside the balls, continue cooking in low heat and check again.
- When ready, add the langka and the cooked tapioca pearls and let simmer in low fire for another 3 minutes. Turn off fire.
Serve it hot!
You can make a huge batch of Ginataang Bilo bilo and freeze them. You just have to thaw it,then heat it up in the microwave as the glutinous rice balls tend to harden.
If you notice that it's becoming dry, you can always add a small amount of water.