FOR THE CAKE:
- 6 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 80 ml canola oil
- 100 ml regular milk
- 10 tablespoons cake flour
- total of 1 teaspoons mango flavor ( separated)
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoons, cream of tartar
- 11 tablespoons granulated sugar
- powdered sugar to spread generously on the cooked cake
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces (1 pkg) cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE CAKE BATTER:
- Pre heat oven at 350 F and put the wire rack at the middle of the oven.
- Measure the liquid ingredients accurately.
- Put egg yolks in a small bowl.
- Add in the sugar and mix. Add the cake flour. Mix
- Add the oil and milk / mango flavor mixture and mix.
- Mix using a wire whisk until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
- Add the extra teaspoon of the mango flavoring
- Set aside.
FOR THE MERINGUE:
Put egg whites in a stand mixer bowl and mix until frothy.
Add the cream of tartar and mix. Add the sugar intermittently. 3 times and mix until stiff peaks.
You can tell if it is stiff peaks, when meringue forms a horn when you pull the whisk upward.
PREPARING THE CHIFFON CAKE:
When meringue is ready, scoop about a cup of meringue mixture and add it into the egg yolk mixture.
Use a folding method in mixing. Using a spatula, scoop mixture then pull up until all of the mixture are incorporated. Do this gently, folding too hard will result in a hard chiffon cake.
Add mixture into the rest of the meringue and mix again using the folding method.
Transfer mixture into a NON GREASE, but lined 6 inch pan and pour cake batter tap the pan in a flat surface to remove air bubbles. Divide equally in 4 6 inch pan.
Bake at pre heated 350 F oven for 10-15 minutes. Start checking at 12 minutes using a toothpick test method.
When chiffon cake is done, let cool and remove the parchment paper and continue to cool. Try to scrape sides of the pan using a knife.
DECORATE THE CAKE :
In order to make this rose mango decor, slice the mango in vertical(short way) and horizontal cut (long cut).
Start arranging the mango from the outside using the horizontal cut and then use the vertical slice towards the middle. Please watch video.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- Place cream cheese in a medium size bowl and beat until soft and smooth.
- Add the heavy whipping cream slowly in about 4 intervals - until the cream cheese resembles a liquid mixture. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Add the sugar and vanilla extract and beat in between to smoothen mixture.
- Beat until stiff peaks.
- Use immediately.
In the photo above, I double the recipe, so I have 4 layer cake.
If doubling the recipe, use 4 (four) 8 " pan.
WHAT I DID WRONG?
I made the mistake of not mixing the cream cheese well and make it very smooth before adding the sugar.
Then I did not smoothen it out when I added the powdered sugar.
So before you add the whipping cream, make sure the sugar and cream cheese are very smooth.
When doubling the recipe, it does take take a while to be able to get the stiff peaks for the eg whites that you might think it's not forming, just be patient. You'll get that stiff peaks.
You can keep the recipe and divide the batter equally in (4) four 6" inch pan.
This cake is not to be used for layer cakes.
The cream cheese frosting is very soft, so it is only not applicable for cake decorating.