This OLD FASHIONED PUMPKIN ROLL yields a tasty and flavorful pumpkin cake roll. It's an easy to follow recipe yet the outcome is a crowd pleasing cake which everybody loves.
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup pumpkin puree
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
1 pack 8 oz cream cheese
6 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place oven rack in the middle of the oven and pre-heat oven to 375 F
- Prepare the pan: Use 15x 10 inch pan and line the pan with parchment paper leaving an extra inch sticking out off the pan. This will make the pumpkin roll easy to transfer and easy to roll. The parchment paper don't stay in the pan, so just be patient and put a fold on the parchment paper to shape on the pan. I have to mention it again that 15x 10 inch pan is a must in this cake.
- In a small bowl, add in all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, ground cloves and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, add in the sugar and egg together. Beat using a wire whisk or electric mixer until smooth. Add in the vanilla extract and pumpkin puree and mix.
- Add the flour mixture and mix gently using a spatula. Mix until incorporated.
- Pour mixture in the middle of the pan and spread evenly at the edges.
- Bake for 13 minutes in a preheated oven.
HOW TO ROLL OLD FASHIONED PUMPKIN CAKE ROLL
- When the cake roll is cooked and baked, pick up the parchment paper and the cake and place in a flat surface.
- Roll cake while it's still hot.Don't remove cake from parchment paper. Start from the one short end to the other short end. Put cake in a wire rack until cool down.
- When the cake is cool, gently unroll the cake and taking off and removing the parchment paper as you go along. Spread the prepared cream cheese filling. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T FILL 1/2 INCH OF THE EDGES. This is very important so that the filling will not spread out.
- Roll the cake again and wrap it with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or 4 hours before serving.
- Sprinkle cake with powder sugar.
HOW TO MAKE CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- Place cream cheese and butter in a medium sized bowl. Beat until smooth.
- Add in powdered sugar and beat again until smooth. If there are more lumps, smoothen the filling by mixing using a spatula.
Recipe adapted from Gimme Some Oven
I have to emphasize that you need to use 15 x 10 inch jelly roll pan.
I did not add vanilla extract in the frosting as I found it too thin.
Please see content above for more info and answers to your questions.