Pancit Canton Recipe. When you think of Filipino cuisine, what do you usually comes to mind? If you said anything other than Pancit Canton or Pancit Malabon, then it’s time to get acquainted with the most popular dish in the Philippines- Pancit Canton.
Original Pancit Canton – Filipinos’ Favorite Snack
Pancit Canton is consists of noodles mixed with pork and veggies cooked in a soy sauce-based soup broth. It’s typically eaten as a snack alongside fried or hard-boiled eggs in the afternoon. Some people even add chopped green onions for extra flavor!
This dish has become an integral part of Filipino tradition with its many different variations over the past few centuries. If you’re wondering why let’s start cooking and see if it’s worth the hype.
How do I cook Pancit Canton?
Pancit Canton is one of my favorite dishes! I love fish balls and fish cake, so I chose this recipe over the other ones that only have chicken or pork in them. It’s also packed with various tasty veggies and seasonings.
I start by heating the oil and cooking the vegetables first before adding the noodle so that it will not get soggy. I then cook the Chorizo Bilbao, fish cake, and meat and make sure they cook through.
I only cook the Canton noodles for a short time to not turn mushy and soggy. I season according to my liking to add more or less soy sauce.
What makes Pancit Canton Special?
You can add various ingredients to this noodle dish, and it’s a very flexible dish. Here are some of my favorites:
Chicken broth – this ingredient allows the chicken to absorb some of the flavors and cook under pressure which helps make it more tender and juicy.
Shrimp – I love adding shrimp to my Pancit Canton because it has a nice seafood flavor.
Napa Cabbage – this ingredient is added to give the Pancit a slight crunch.
Fish balls or fish cake- this gives your dish some additional protein. You can find these at most Asian markets or substitute them with shrimp. Fish balls or fish cakes will help increase the flavor of your dish.
Onions – onions work well in many recipes because they add a savory flavor and some sweetness to the recipe. Onions are packed with vitamin C, which helps build your immune system to stay healthy and fight infections.
Oyster sauce is a thick, brown sauce made from ingredients like soy sauce, brine, and corn starch. It has a savory, salty, and slightly sweet taste and is excellent for many dishes.
- Large Skillet or pan
- Spoon or spatula for mixing
This Pancit Canton Recipe uses ingredients available in your pantry, or you can buy in your Asian store, and you can also buy most of them on Amazon.
- Soy sauce and oyster sauce
- Chicken Broth/Vegetable broth
- Salt, and pepper, to taste
- Vegetables – green beans, bell peppers, snow peas
- Chinese sausage
- Napa cabbage ( Chinese Cabbage)
- Pork or Chicken Breast Slices
- Fish balls or fish cakes
- Chinese style noodles (look for “Shanghai” or “Canton” in the package)
This Pancit Canton recipe is straightforward to follow and, in this case, a one-pot recipe. Below are the detailed instructions.
- Prepare the Vegetables: Place the cooking oil in a large pan and saute the onion and the carrots. Add in the green beans or snow peas and cook until wilted. Add the cabbage and cook until the cabbage is soft but still crisp. Remove vegetables from the pan and place on the plate, and set aside. Add the remaining oil, fry the Chinese sausage in a single layer, cook until golden brown, and remove from heat. On the same cooking, add the garlic, onion, mushrooms, and sauté for about two minutes.
- Cook the Meat: Pour in the remaining oil and cook the onion. Add the shrimp and fish cake or fish balls and cook until the shrimp changes its color. Add in the meat and the broth. Season according to your liking a let it cook for ten more minutes or until boiling—season with the onion and garlic powder, soy sauce, and oyster sauce.
- Add the noodles: Add the noodles and mix gently. Cook the Pancit Canton for five more minutes and add the prepared vegetables.
What Pancit Canton Noodles can I use?
There are a lot of choices of Pancit Canton Noodles Brand to choose from, depending on your taste. I used the Shanghai Brand for this recipe, and it is a great-tasting product that I am sure you will love. The noodles have an exquisite flavor and are perfect for this dish. They are also very affordable, and you can usually find them at most Asian markets.
Here are other brands of Pancit Canton noodles you can try:
• Pancit Canton Noodles by Silver Swan – These noodles are made with natural ingredients and great flavors. They are also affordable, and can these noodles are found at most major grocery stores.
• Pancit Canton Noodles by Lucky – These noodles are MSG-free, gluten-free, and have no artificial flavors or preservatives. They are also vegan-friendly.
• Pancit Canton Noodles by AJI-NO-MOTO – This AJI-NO-MOTO product is added to many noodle dishes, both sweet and savory. They are also MSG-free, gluten-free, and vegan-friendly.
• Noodles by Maggi – These noodles are quick to cook, so you do not have to wait forever for them to be ready. They are also MSG-free and organic.
• Healthy Boy noodle brand– These noodles are shredded, making your dish extra special. They add a nice flavor to almost any dish you want to prepare with them.
• Pancit Canton Noodles by Golden Phoenix – These noodles are a healthy alternative to other types of noodles. They are made with whole wheat flour and have no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. They also have a delicious flavor that everyone will love.
What other Pancit Canton recipe can I do?
There are endless possibilities when it comes to preparing this Filipino dish. Here are a few of my favorite Pancit canton recipes:
• Stir-fried Noodles with Vegetables and Beef – This dish has delicious flavors and great texture, and the beef pairs perfectly with the vegetables.
• Chicken and Vegetable Lo Mein – This dish combines tender chicken, fresh vegetables, and perfectly cooked noodles. The Asian-inspired sauce adds a nice flavor to the entire dish that everyone will love.
• Pork Stir Fry w/ Vegetables – This is a delicious way to prepare pork for your family. It is quick to make, so it does not take up much of your time, and Pork Stir Fry w/ Vegetables are packed with flavor.
• Vegetable Chow Mein – This is a great way to get your daily dose of vegetables. It is healthy, delicious, and easy to make.
Where can I buy these ingredients?
You can find the ingredients for this recipe in Asian markets. If you do not have an Asian market nearby, you can purchase them online. Amazon, iHerb, and eBay all have a wide variety of Asian and Western ingredients. They also have a great selection of spices and sauces wherein many of them are organic. These websites also offer rare elements that you may not be able to find elsewhere.
How do you store Pancit Canton?
Making two packs of Pancit Canton makes a huge batch and can serve twelve people. Our household consists of just the three of us, so we have frozen and refrigerated leftovers.
- Place the noodles in an air-tight container and refrigerate them for one week.
- If you opt to freeze it, place it in the air-tight container and freeze; let it sit on the counter to thaw and microwave from one to two minutes.
So, there you have it! Pancit Canton is a dish worth trying to taste Filipino cuisine. You can use this Pancit Canton recipe for cooking Pancit Bihon and sauteed noodles and veggies in mind. Not only is it delicious, but it is also effortless to make. Now let us get cooking!
For more noodle recipes:
Pancit Canton recipe.
- large pan
- Spatula/Ladle for Mixing
- 2 packs Pancit Canton 16 oz each
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped separated
- 1 stick carrots
- 10 pieces green beans or peas
- 4 cups cabbage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 10 pieces shrimp, cleaned, devein
- 5 pieces Chorizo Bilbao (Chinese Sausage)
- 1 lb pork shoulder/chicken meat slice into bite size pieces
- 5 pieces squid balls or fish cake
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock/water/vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- ground pepper
- canola oil
Saute' the vegetables
- Turn on heat on medium-high. Place two tablespoons of cooking oil and saute' half of the chopped onion.
- Add in the carrots and saute until wilted about two minutes. Add the beans or peas and cook for another three minutes. Add the chopped cabbage. Cook until cabbage for about for four more minutes. Remove the vegetables from the pan and plate in a plate and set aside.
Cook the Meat
- Add two tablespoons of canola oil to the same pan and saute half of the onion until transparent. Add in the garlic and mix. Add the Chorizo Bilbao and cook for three minutes. Add the shrimp and fish ball/fish cake. Cook until the shrimp changes its color. Add the pork or chicken meat mix ingredients together. Add the soy sauce and oyster sauce. and cook for 10 minutes. Add the water/chicken stock/vegetable stock add the onion powder and garlic powder and cover with the lid. Cook in low heat for eight minutes, or until boiling.Add the Canton noodles cook gently mix with the liquid. The noodles will be less stiff and cook the canton in low heat for five more minutes. Add the prepared vegetables and gently mix the ingredients. Turn off the heat and transfer in a plate.