I have finally found the secret of making the skin crunchy and crispy. The secret is to pour water on the meat after a long roasting. This Pork Belly is just how my family wanted - Crispy skin, and it has the soft and tasty meat.
I have made this Pork Belly Lechon several times this year and I have finally came up with the recipe and spice mixture that my family like. I revised several meat seasonings to get the best version of this roasted belly. It turns out, I just need salt, pepper,green onion and bay leaves to make the meat smell great and tastes good.
This Pork Belly Lechon is a simpler version of cooking roast pork. Instead of the roasting the whole pig, this is the Pork Belly Lechon is the mini version of that.
It is a shame that we cannot get a pork belly slab in our local department store, so I tried ordering it from out local Asian store. I have to show a picture on how the slab should look like to avoid confusion and for me to get the right dimension of the pork belly slab. Luckily the butcher was all too pleased to do what I require. I am so excited about this meal.
- 2.5 or 5 kilos pork belly slab (Just double the reipe if using mrore)
- 5 stalk green onion
- 5 pieces dry basil leave
- 1 head garlic,crushed or chopped
- 2 tablespoons iodized salt (divided)
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper (divided)
- 2 tablespoons Canola oil
- 1 cup of boiling water
- Preheat oven at 350 F
- Clean pork belly slab and pat dry.
- Set meat onto flat surface and rub salt on the skin and into inner belly meat
- Lay the belly slab with skin on the flat surface.
- Put all of the remaining ingredients on the belly and roll the slab to form a tube and tie with kitchen twine.
- Rub oil on the meat .
- Arrange pork belly in a roasting pan and bake belly for 5 hours.
- After 5 hours, remove belly from the oven and pour 1 cup of boiling water.
- Let the belly sit for another 30 minutes before serving.