Siopao Recipe or Chicken Buns with Chicken Breast Filling. You will not believe how easy it is to make these little BUN-NIES! This is my version of Siopao or Steamed Buns. This is perfect for snacks or will do as an easy meal idea for dinner. My husband brings it to lunch and he packs four to five pieces of these chicken dumplings. So, get your sleeves rolling and make these. You will be glad you did because it will make you look like a pro in Chinese/Asian cooking ... at least, I say it to myself.
NOTE: I GOT ANOTHER SIOPAO DOUGH RECIPE THAT IS MORE FLUFFY BUT A LITTLE BIT COMPLICATED STEPS: Click here: Fluffy Siopao Dough
I was awaken by the birds chirping and the cool breeze squeezing through my window. A sign of spring. Spring is my favorite season because you can feel the gentle touch of the sun, you can smell the leaves and just like the trees are springing its sleeping leaves, for me it is a palpable show of hope.It is an emergence of new life and new beginnings. This is a blossoming month.
I likened spring as a bridge that connects the barren months of winter to light months of summer. It is also a time for coming back home. The birds that immigrated come home. The whale goes back to their breeding ground and the hibernating animals are called out to socialize again. Loove it!
BTW, Today I watched the Son of God the movie and I was so amazed on how the movie embodied the book of John. While watching the movie, it felt like the words that I read in the Bible were coming to life. There was solemn feel in the movie theater. It showed that everyone was taking the movie to heart. I love the movie. I was encouraged to re-read the Bible and look at it in different angle. When I was just reading the Bible, I did not really imagine the fears and doubt the apostle had. But this movie showed those raw emotions and how much they were so confused of their new found faith. And there are some line of the movie that touched me:
1. Do not be afraid, trust in God. 2. And when Magdalene saw Jesus, she said, "Teacher." 3. I love how the movie projected the hope, the rejuvenation and the new courage to proclaim their faith when they saw Jesus alive and has risen to heaven.
There were several scenes and phrases that I want to share, but I do not want to spoil the movie for you. Just watch it.
And the the highlight of the movie is the shroud. I thought there was some kind of connection between these buns and the white cloth that Jesus wore. It was white and soft. Because of that, I was inspired to make these chicken buns ...
Here are some recipe that used Hoisin Sauce. You might want to try them: Honey Chicken Wings and High Protein Ground turkey meatballs. And check the How to Clean Leeks .Ipost for step by step instructions on how to clean leeks. I link this entry to A Bowl Full of Lemon and The Comforts of Home sites.Please check it out.
- DUMPLINGS DOUGH FROM SCRATCH:
- 2¼ cup All Purpose Flour
- 2¼ tsp rapid rise fast yeast
- 1 tsp white sugar or super fine sugar
- 2 tbsp warm water
- ¾ cup warm milk
- spray oil to spray the steamer
- STEAMED BUNS FILLING:
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey or agave ( I used agave)
- 1 tbsp or more Hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp canola oil or any oil of your choice
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ piece fresh ginger root,grated
- Place the chicken breast in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix together the sugar,soy sauce, honey, Hoisin. Pour the mixture over the chicken breast and marinate overnight or 30 minutes. When the chicken are ready, remove the chicken breast from the marinade. Pre heat oven at 350 F and cook the chicken breast on a wire-lined baking sheet.Bake the chicken for 30 - 40 minutes and let it cool. Remove the chicken breast from the wire rack cut into small pieces of cube or shred the chicken breast.
- Heat the oil in a pan and stir fry the leek,garlic and ginger for 3 minutes. Add in the cubed/shredded chicken breast. Add in Hoisin sauce, salt or pepper to taste ( this part depends on how how you want your filling to taste). Set aside to cool.
- TO MAKE THE DUMPLING DOUGH:
- Mix the flour into the electric mixing bowl with the fast rise yeast. Place the milk,water ,sugar in a heat safe cup or bowl and mix to dissolve the sugar. Heat the mixture in a microwave oven for 1 minute then add into the flour mixture. Knead using an electric mixer until smooth. OR you can manually knead it in a floured surface for 5 minutes. Roll into sausage shape and cut into 16 piece. Cover the dough and let it stand for 25 minutes.
- Spray the steamer with non-stick oil . Set aside. Flatten the dough pieces into 4 inch rounds.Place the spoonful of filling in the center of each. Draw up the sides to form a "moneybag" and twist to seal and arrange on the steamer rack. and place the dumplings on the base of the steamer. Do not put on the heat yet. Look instructions below.
- Put 3 cups or more of water on the base of the steamer and let the water boil. Place the steamer containing the dumpling on top and steam the dumplings for 15 minutes after the water boils.Transfer bun in a flat plate and enjoy it while it is hot.