- 3 lbs ox tail or beef
- 1 /2 to 2/3 cup creamy Peanut butter
- 4-5 pieces string beans
- 10 oz of baby bok choy
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1 piece of small eggplant
- salt to taste
- Place Ox Tail or Beef Meat in a crock pot.
- Add enough water to cover the meat.
- Slow cooked on high for 4-5 hours on high or overnight on low. When using Beef, lower the cooking time .
- When the meat are done and ready, heat the cooking oil in a separate cooking pan and saute' garlic and onion. Around 2 minutes.
- Add in the broth from the cook meat , the eggplant and string beans (if using ),and let it simmer to blend the flavors, and cook until the eggplants are soft.
- Add in 1/2 to 2/3 cup of peanut butter.YOUR AIM SHOULD MAKE THE SAUCE CREAMY AND WITH A GENTLE TASTE OF PEANUT BUTTER (NOT OVERWHELMING), SO ADD THE PEANUT BUTTER VERY SLOWLY.
- Keep on stirring so as not to burn the peanut butter at the bottom of the cooking pan.
- Add the Oxtail meat and the bok choy.
- Serve with sauteed Shrimp. Enjoy this Filipino cuisine!
I usually add the smallest amount of salt to taste because I like the taste of the shrimp paste to give it taste. I usually get my kare kare and slather it with the shrimp paste.
You can add all the broth if you want to just like I do, because my kids love the left over kare-kare even with just the soup.But note that this recipe yields a lot of broth. So it's up to you if you want to have small amount of soup in your kare-kare.