There is no need of Mama Sita’s Kare-Kare mix here. This Kare-kare, my friends, is made from scratch and SLOW-COOKED.
- 4 lbs ox tail
- 1½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1-2 tablespoons of fish sauce ( I used Rufina Patis)
- ½ cup onion
- ½ lb egg plant,string beans and banana heart
- 2 pieces large bok choy leaves
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 cups of water
- Shrimp Paste
- Place Ox Tail or Beef Meat in a crock pot add the water
- Slow cooked on high for 2 hours on high or overnight on low for 4 hours. When using Beef, lower the cooking time . ( I recommend setting a timer in your slow cooker, as we don't want the meat to be too soft.)
- When the meat are done and ready, heat the cooking oil in a separate cooking pan and saute' garlic and onion. Around 2 minutes.
- Add in the broth from the cook meat , the eggplant,banan heart and string beans (if using ),and let it simmer to blend the flavors, and cook until the eggplants are soft.
- Add in 1/2 to 2/3 cup of peanut butter.YOUR AIM SHOULD MAKE THE SAUCE CREAMY AND WITH A GENTLE TASTE OF PEANUT BUTTER (NOT OVERWHELMING), SO ADD THE PEANUT BUTTER VERY SLOWLY.
- Keep on stirring so as not to burn the peanut butter at the bottom of the cooking pan.
- Season with the fish sauce.
- Add the Oxtail meat and the bok choy.
- Serve with sauteed Shrimp. Enjoy this Filipino cuisine!
- Put ox tail meat in a ceramic slow cooker.
- Add in water and slow cooked on high for 5 hours and 7 hours on low.
- When meat is ready, separate the soup and ox tail.
- Saute' onion in a deep frying pan and then add the soup. Let it simmer and add the egg plant. Continue cooking until egg plant is tender.
- Add in the peanut butter and mix to blend the soup and the peanut butter.
- Add in fish sauce. Start with 1 tablespoon and add more if you want it to be saltier. The 2 tablespoons was good enough for me.
- Simmer for 1 more minute and add in the ox tail meat and the bok choy leaves. Cook for 4 more minutes and serve hot with shrimp paste.