Twisted doughnut recipe is up on the blog today. This recipe yields a crunchy on the outside,and soft in the inside twisted doughnuts. This Filipino Twisted doughnut will hook you. You'll keep coming back for more.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 packet active yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk,room temperature ( I prefer evaporated milk)
- 1 large egg,room temp
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- canola oil for frying
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar inside a brown paper bag for coating
- Put flour in a large size bowl and mix using a wire whisk and set aside.
- In medium heat, melt the butter in a small sauce pan. When butter is melted, add milk then remove from heat. Add egg , sugar and salt and mix until dissolve. and mix completely then add the yeast. Let yeast sit for 5 minutes. You will see bubbles.
- Pour mixture into the flour and mix with a wooden spoon or a spatula. Mix and then use your hand until smooth and form into a round ball and cover with a plastic wrap. Let dough sit in a warm place for an hour until it double its size.
- After an hour, punch the dough to deflate air and knead until smooth. Cover again and let it sit again in a warm place for another 30 minutes.
ROLLING THE TWISTED DOUGHNUTS:
- Uncover the dough and knead for a few minutes and form into a ball. Divide the ball into 2 then divide equally into 16 pieces.
- Take a piece of dough and starting in the middle, roll the dough into a string form. When rolling dough, roll the other upward and the other hand downward to form a tension. Pick up dough and twist. MAKE SURE TO SEAL THE END, SO THAT DOUGH WILL NOT UNTANGLE WHEN FRYING.
- Let the twisted dough expand for another 20 minutes and roll to the other side and let sit for another 10 minutes.
FRYING THE TWISTED DOUGHNUTS:
- Heat a large amount of oil in a deep skillet setting it 350 F and lower heat to medium, to get that crisp outside and soft inside shakoy. Fry doughnut until golden brown each side.
- Put about 3-4 doughnuts as they expand.
- Strain the cook doughnut and put them in a brown paper with sugar and shake so that doughnuts is coated with sugar. Do this while doughnuts are still hot.
FREEZING TWISTED DOUGHNUT:
- Line the twisted dough in a flat pan and freeze them. When dough are hard, transfer them in a zip loc and freeze until you are ready to cook them. Thaw dough until soft before frying.
- Category: dessert
- Method: frying
- Cuisine: Filipino
Keywords: twisted doughnuts, filipino twisted donuts,shakoy recipe