This Tocino Recipe is the only recipe you need. It taste very similar to store bought, that you can't tell the difference between them.
Place the meat in a large electric mixing bowl.
Add in the dry ingredients except the Annato powder.
Add the wet ingredients and mix at low speed until the liquid is totally gone or cut in half, then add the Annato powder. And continue mixer at the lowest speed. Please see notes.
Continue mixing until water is gone, or half gone.
When ready, divide Tocino in a small ziploc and freeze.
Thaw before cooking.
- You can use hand to mix, but it is too much work, so use your stand up mixer, using the hook.
- Mix until there's no more water, or half. This will take a long time, maybe more than 1 hour.
- The meat will get tangled in the hook, so watch it. Untangle and mix again at lowest speed.
- It is a must to mix thoroughly, for the marinade to seep through the meat.
- You can use your hand, but it is really tiring.
- You can skip the Annato powder, but I prefer to use it, as it adds more color.
- When cooking, add only the water if you think the original fluid from the meat is not enough to soften it. Add 1/8 cup.
- When the meat has softened and there's too much water, drain it and add in cooking oil to add crisp.