Learn how to make this Ghost Pattern Pumpkin Roll Cake with detailed instructions and get the free printable pattern.
- 1 baking sheet 15x10 size pan
- Pattern Design
- Hand Electric Mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Small Strainer
- piping bags
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter at room temperature
- 2 1/2 tbsp White Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup Cake Flour
- 1 large egg white at room temperature
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz Low Fat cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter at room temperature
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
Pumpkin Roll Cake Ingredients
- 3 large Eggs
- 3/4 cup White Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Pumpkin Spice
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar for Dusting
- 1/4 cup Milk to remove the Powdered sugar
How to Make the Pattern Paste
- Put the egg whites in a small bowl and add in the granulated sugar. Mix until frothy and smooth.
- Add the softened butter and mix. Add the cake flour. Mix completely until there are no lumps.
- Separate the pattern paste into two colors. Remove one tablespoon of the paste and color it black. Put it in a piping bag. Put the remaining paste in the piping bag.
Prepare the Pattern Paper
- Place the pattern paper on the 15 by ten pan. Please see the notes
- Put a parchment paper on top and spray with nonstick oil spray. Spread the oil using a paper towel.
- Trace the ghost. Add the eyes. Freeze the pattern while you are making your pumpkin cake roll cake.
How to Make the Pumpkin Roll
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Add the egg into a large bowl and add in the sugar. Mix until pale in color. Add the vanilla extract. Mix. Strain in the flour and mix until smooth. Add the oil mix five times and add the baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, and salt. Mix until there are no lumps present.
- Add the pumpkin puree and mix gently until smooth. Remove the patterned paper from the freezer and put it in the pan.
- Pour the pumpkin roll batter into the 15 by 10 size pan. Spread the batter using a spoon and make sure the batter is even.
- Bake in the preheated oven for eighteen minutes. Start checking at fifteen minutes using a toothpick test method.
How to Remove the Cake from the Pan
- When the cake is done, set the pan flat and generously sprinkle the cake powdered sugar.
- Gently scrape the side of the cake with a knife.
- Cover the cake with parchment paper bigger than the cake pan and cover with a chopping board or any flat object bigger than the baking pan you are using. Hold the pan and the chopping board in between your hands and flip,
- Gently remove the pattern paper. Sprinkle the cake with powdered sugar and cover the cake with a towel. Top the towel with a pan larger than the baking sheet. Hold the chopping board and the pan in between both hands and flip.
- Roll the cake using a towel while it is hot. Let the cake cool down for the cake to build a rolled "muscle."
- Make sure that the cake is cool. Unroll the cake, fill it with the cream cheese filling, and roll it. Brush the cake with milk to remove the powdered sugar. Transfer to plastic wrap and chill.