Yema Cake with stable frosting and the cake was cooked in the Instant Pot. There is nothing quite like the flavors of sweet custard and sponge cake. This cake recipe makes a deliciously sweet and creamy cake people will beg you to bring to every occasion!
What is Yema Cake with Stable Frosting?
Yema cake is a play on a classic Filipino confection, Yema. Yema is a sweet custard candy that is popular throughout the Philippines. It is buttery, creamy, and delightfully sweet! That candy inspired Filipino chefs to create a deliciously rich cake!
The Yema cake that the candy-inspired is an absolutely decadent dessert! It uses a traditional simple sponge cake frosted with all the amazing flavors of Yema. It’s an unbelievably decadent and easy treat!
Why You’ll Love This
- If you have ever tried flan or custard cake and liked it this delicious Yema Cake recipe will fill you with delicious joy! The steps in this cake are easy to follow and in no time you can have a cake worthy of a bakery window!
- The creamy flavor of this candy-inspired cake is so irresistible you will have dreams about it. The soft and fluffy sponge cake and delicious Yema frosting make the perfect dessert bite in this cake!
- This cake tastes like the Philippines. If you are homesick and want a bite of authentic Filipino dessert this succulent is just right! It might even taste better than mom’s, but don’t tell her that!
- Impress your loved ones by sharing this delicious Yema Cake. It makes a great addition to a party or a thoughtful gift during the holiday season! This recipe is just the thing to bring back warm memories of family and home around the holidays.
Ingredients for Yema Cake
- Sponge Cake- See the notes for details on how to make the deliciously easy sponge cake for this recipe!
Stable Frosting Ingredients
- Egg Yolks –This ingredient acts as a binder and adds richness to this sweet, creamy frosting.
- Evaporated Milk –Evaporated milk makes the creamy base of the custard filling for this sweet and spongy cake.
- Condensed Milk –Condensed milk adds sweetness and even more cream to the delicious custard in this recipe.
- Butter– adds smoothness and taste to custard
How to decorate Yema Cake
- Almond Slivers (Optional) –These tasty nuts can be added to the outside of the cake for decoration.
- Grated Cheese (Optional) –I like to finish this cake with a sprinkle of grated cheese for a little extra zing and salt.
Mix the Yema Stable Frosting:
- In a bowl, combine condensed milk, egg yolks, and salt (if using). Whisk until well-blended and evenly colored.
- In a wide, non-stick pan over medium-low heat, heat butter until slightly melted and still warm (NOT hot).
- Add the egg-milk mixture and stir well to combine.
- Cook, stirring regularly and scraping sides and bottom with a spoon, for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the mixture thickens to a spreadable paste. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Assemble the Yema Cake:
- Once the sponge cake is completely cool, remove the sponge cake from the pan and remove the parchment paper. Please see the notes for the Sponge Cake Recipe
- Spoon about 1/4 of the Yema on top of the bottom cake half layer. Using a spatula, spread evenly to cover the surface with about 1/8-inch thick Yema filling.
- Place the top layer half of the sponge cake on top of the frosted cake layer.
- Scoop and spread enough Yema frosting on top of the cake to cover the surface and make a frosting layer with about half-centimeter thickness.
- Set aside about 1/4 cup of the Yema and using an offset spatula, spread to cover the sides of the cake.
- Scoop a handful of almond slivers and gently tap on the sides of the cake.
- Pipe the reserved 1/4 cup Yema frosting on the top and at the bottom edges of the cake to decorate.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on top of the cake. Serve immediately or chill in the fridge.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- If you are using my Instant Pot Sponge Cake recipe, cook the custard while the cake bakes.
- Remember to scrape the bottom of the pan as you cook the Yema custard mixture.
- Wait until the Yema and sponge cake have both fully cooled before decorating.
- To help you fill the piping bag, stretch the piping bag to stand inside a tall cup. Fold the top edges over the rim of the cup then fill the bag.
How to Serve Yema Cake
This cake can be decorated and then served immediately or chilled and taken out when you’re ready to serve. This cake makes a gorgeous special occasion cake. It is an eye-catching dessert that everyone at the party will be talking about!
Pair this rich and creamy cake with a hot cup of coffee or tea.
How to Store Yema Cake
One of the best things about this cake is how lovely the Yema frosting looks, so you do not want to disturb it when you store this cake. Carefully move the cake to a large enough airtight container that it can sit without bumping the sides. A reusable cake box is best, but any large, flat-bottom airtight container will work.
Place the container in the refrigerator and store this cake for up to 1 week.
What’s the Difference Between Yema and Dulce de Leche?
While both of these confections are creamy and have a delicious caramel flavor they are different. Yema is a custard, meaning eggs and dairy are used to craft this saucy treat. Dulce de leche, on the other hand, uses only dairy and no eggs.
What’s with Yema Cake and Dogs?
If you look online you will find lots of people asking about Yema Cake and dogs. It’s a funny trend where people will share some Yema Cake with their pup.
I DO NOT recommend this. While Yema Cake is not toxic for Fido, it’s not good for them either. Sugar, fat, and dairy are all not great additions to your dog’s diet.
If you want to give your pup a treat opt for a genuine dog snack or treat. Treats crafted with pups in mind will always be more healthy and more delicious for your fur baby, and there are lots of choices out there! Plus, that leaves a more delicious cake for you!
More Recipes You’ll Love
If you loved this custardy cake you have to try out these ideas for easy and rich desserts!
- 1 small saucepan
- 1 mixing spoon
- Sponge Cake please see notes for the recipe
Stable Frosting ( Custard Ingredients)
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Make the Stable frosting
- Mix all of the ingredients in the saucepan.
- Turn the heat to low and stir continuously until the mixture becomes sticky.
- Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool down.
Assemble the Yema Cake
- Remove the sponge cake from the pan and remove the parchment paper. Let them cool down.
- Put the cake on a flat surface and put one-fourth cup of frosting. Put the other sponge cake on top. Frost the cake and smoothen using a spatula.
- Decorate with cheese, shaved walnut, and cheese. Or whipped cream. Please see the notes for the whipped cream recipe.