This Mongolian BBQ is a replica of the Mongolian BBQ near me. It’s a simple one-bowl dump meal that is customized to your liking. Fill it with veggies and meat of your choice.
If you like this post, you can check out this noodles recipe: Chicken Alfredo, Filipino noodle – Pancit Canton, and Beef Broccoli
Mongolian BBQ is a hearty combination of tender meat, crisp veggies, and a flavorful sauce on top of a bowl of noodles. Truly satisfying yet easy to make!
Want more hearty dishes? Check out my recipes for Filipino Pancit Canton, One-pan Chicken Alfredo, and Beef Broccoli.
This Mongolian BBQ is so easy to make at home. I could not be happier having my own version. Having this dish cooked right at home is divine. It smells delicious as it cooks, too!
I frequent a restaurant serving this dish and totally enjoy it. But since it had been more difficult lately to just go out, I had to make it at home. Luckily, the recipe I developed is close enough if not better.
Aside from the freedom to make this anytime I want, I can ensure that only the freshest ingredients go into my meal.
So, if you are just like me who wants only the healthiest meals for the family, make this recipe with me!
What is Mongolian BBQ?
While it is called as such, it is not a traditional dish in Mongolia nor is it barbecued. Instead, it is an invention by a Taiwanese restaurateur. The dish became so popular in Taiwan that it became a favorite worldwide.
It is a complete meal on its own. It has protein, fiber, and carbs all in one enjoyable dish stir-fried and served in a bowl along with several sauce choices.
What are the sauces at Mongolian BBQ?
In this recipe, we use the following:
- oyster sauce
- hoisin sauce
- dark soy sauce
- peanut sauce
Other kinds of sauces that you can serve as options are:
- sweet and sour
- Korean BBQ
What oils Can I use?
- You can use this Green Onion Oil
- Sesame oil
- Chili garlic oil
- Canola oil
- Avocado oil
- Peanut oil
- Olive oil
What noodles do you use for Mongolian BBQ?
I like using the Yakisoba kind for this dish. But you can also use anything that you want like rice noodles, egg noodles, ramen noodles, or even any pasta.
How do you make Mongolian BBQ?
- Prepare the ingredients: Cut the meat and veggies into thin strips. Prepare a spread of sauce and oil options for everyone to choose from.
- Combine: Get a deep bowl. Add the meat
- Add the veggies of your choice
- Add the noodles and oil
- Add the sauce
- Make an Assembly Line- this is our bowl ready for stir-frying.
- Stir-fry: Lightly grease your wok. Heat it to medium-high heat. Pour in the contents of your bowl and stir-fry until everything cooks through.
- Serve: Once done, transfer to a serving bowl and serve with rice. Enjoy!
A Family Affair
- Make preparing this dish a family affair. Ask your kid to be your “assistant chef” and allow him or her to help in preparing the bowls. Aside from the bonding experience, your kid will be more than happy to eat veggies this time!
Personally, I like the combination of oyster and hoisin sauce. Meanwhile, my husband likes his dark soy sauce and vinegar combo.
For my son, he gets soy sauce in his bowl. And we all like adding some sesame oil.
How to Store
You can choose to put fresh veggies in individual airtight containers for later use. If you will cook the meat separately, you can refrigerate it for up to 4 days.
Unfortunately, you cannot store leftover cooked Mongolian BBQ without it getting soggy. The good news is that it is easy to portion when cooking to avoid having leftovers.
- You can make this on the stovetop. But for a more intimate dining experience with the family, you can set up a portable stove. It is very much like the ones that are used outdoors and are fueled with butane. Set that up in the middle of the table and surround it with the mini bowls of other ingredients.
- Cut up the veggies in thin strips that are as uniform in size as you can. This way, you are certain to cook them uniformly, too.
- For the proteins, you can choose to add shrimp, chicken, scallops, or even crab meat. You can add anything that you wish really. This is such a versatile dish.
- Metal Spatula
MONGOLIAN BBQ MEAT:
- 1 lb beef tenderloin steaks slice into strips
- 1 lb pork thinly sliced into strips
- 3 pack Yakisoba noodles each pack weighs 17 oz
MONGOLIAN BBQ VEGETABLES:
- 2 large carrots matchsticks slice
- Bell pepper diced
- Green Onion
- Flat Green Beans
- Green Beans thinly sliced
- Mung Bean sprouts
- garlic chopped
MONGOLIAN BBQ SAUCE:
- Oyster sauce
- Hoisin Sauce
- Dark soy sauce
- Peanut sauce
MONGOLIA BBQ OIL:
- Sesame Oil
- Canola Oil
- Vegetable Oil
- Water to sprinkle the wok.
- Slice beef into thin strips. This process is very important, since we want to meat to cook with the veggies.
- Slice the veggies very thinly.
MAKE A SPREAD FOR YOU MONGOLIAN BBQ:
- NOW, YOU DECIDE WHO WILL BE THE DESIGNATED "CHEF."
- Line table with the sauces, oil and put veggies in separate bowls.
- Prepare a deep bowl.
- Add in the Yakisoba noodles, beef strips, vegetables on top of each other.
- Add in the sauce of your choice and oil of your choice. Add a 1 tablespoon of sauce and oil. Into the bowl.
- For mine, as see in the picture above, I chose hoisin sauce and oyster sauce. Then I had the sesame oil.
- My husband, he had dark soy sauce and 2 teaspoons of vinegar and had sesame oil.
- For my son, he had soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Turn on the stove to high medium heat.
- Using a paper towel wipe oil into the wok and pre heat the wok. , or just pour a small amount of oil and spread it on the wok.
- Pour the content of the bowl at the same time, and enjoy that sizzle. Stir ingredients and sprinkle water on the side of the wok, and stir until the meat is no longer pink.
- Pour your Mongolian BBQ in a bowl. Eat it with rice.
This Mongolian BBQ looks amazing! I love all the fresh veggies!
Love how easy and delicious this recipe for Mongolian BBQ is to make at home. It is the perfect dinner to make any time.
This is such a delicious and flavorful meal. I love the sauce and can use it for so many other dishes too. Just a fantastic recipe!
This Mongolian BBQ was very flavorful and so easy to make. The kids and I had it for lunch and then decided to eat it again for dinner; it was so delicious tasting. Great recipe-will save to make again! Have a wonderful day.
I love making delicious meals like this. Even my kids were able to help out. Delicious!!
Amy Liu Dong says
I love this recipe. It’s easy and def delicious, and I am so excited to make this for everyone.
This is my kind of meal and the flavors were outstanding. So easy to make and is now marked as a family favorite!
We loved this fun and delicious meal and will be doing it again. Thanks for the inspiration!
I adore one dish meals especially ones like this with tangy sauce and a great way to utilize veggies!
This is definitely a Happy Meal Platter. I can add anything of my choice. Very interesting and flavorful too.