Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana: A Delicious and Hearty Soup for All Seasons. It is a mouthwatering Italian-inspired soup that’s sure to become a favorite in your household. It is straightforward to make, just perfect for quick night soup comfort.
What is Zuppa Tuscana
Zuppa Toscana, in Italian, translates to “Tuscan soup” or “Tuscan-style soup.” It’s a soup from the Tuscany region in Italy known for its hearty and flavorful ingredients. Zuppa Toscana is the most popular soup carried by the Olive Garden. It is well-loved for its rich and satisfying flavor.
How do you Say it?
The pronunciation of “Zuppa Toscana” is roughly “zoo-pah toh-skah-nah.” The “Z” in “Zuppa” is pronounced like the “ts” in “cats,” and the “c” in “Toscana” is pronounced like “ch” in “cheese.”
This article delves into why you’ll love it, how to make it, and the best ways to store it while providing a detailed look at its ingredients. Let’s explore this comforting dish together.
Why You’ll Love It
- Olive Garden Copycat– this is my take on the Olive Garden Version. However, Olive Garden keeps the ingredients a secret, including the amount of salt and spices in their recipes. The salt content can vary depending on the specific preparation and any changes to the recipe made by the restaurant. If you have dietary concerns or restrictions, it’s best to inquire directly with Olive Garden or consult their nutritional information, which they may provide on their official website or restaurant.
- Savory and Comforting Flavor–Zuppa Toscana boasts a rich, delicious flavor that’s incredibly satisfying. Combining sausage, potatoes, and kale creates a comforting and wholesome taste.
- Taste of Tuscany – this dish hails from the Tuscany region of Italy, known for its rich culinary traditions. Zuppa Toscana captures the essence of this beautiful region in every spoonful.
- Family Favorite- Many people love Zuppa Toscana for its perfect blend of flavors and versatility. It’s an ideal comfort food for any occasion.
- Time-Saving with the Instant Pot–One of the key reasons to love Zuppa Toscana is its compatibility with the Instant Pot.
- So easy– Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana is easy to make, satisfying, and flavorful. Whether you’re a novice cook or an experienced chef, this soup is sure to please.
Let’s take a closer look at the key ingredients that make Zuppa Toscana so delightful:
What’s in my Pantry?
- Italian Sausage: Adds a savory, slightly spicy kick to the soup.
- Russet Potatoes: Provide hearty texture and flavor.
- Kale: Brings a touch of earthy freshness.
- Heavy Cream- I used some leftover Heavy whipping cream from my post-cream Cheese Pasta Sauce.
- Water and Bouillon- Provides a flavorful base. I did not have beef broth, so I used water and beef bouillon powder.
- Onion –For aromatic depth.
The Instant Pot is your trusty kitchen companion when making Zuppa Toscana. It streamlines the cooking process, ensuring you enjoy this culinary masterpiece in no time.
This is an overview of the step-by-step instructions—a complete and detailed process in the recipe card.
- Set your Instant Pot to ‘Sauté’ mode. Melt the butter and cook the Italian sausage until browned. Add chopped onions and spices.
- Pour in the water and add cubed potatoes. Cover the Instant Pot using the pressure cooker lid button. Once the cooking is complete, release the pressure manually.
- Stir in chopped kale heavy cream.
Tips and Tricks
For the best Zuppa Toscana experience, keep these tips in mind:
- Use your favorite sausage for the best flavor.
- Use heavy whipping cream for a richer consistency.
- Add Gochugaru or pepper flakes to make it spicy.
- Experiment with different types of potatoes for a unique twist.
- While the classic Zuppa Toscana is delightful, several variations exist. Add some bacon for an extra layer of smokiness, or substitute the kale with spinach for a milder taste.
- Enjoy Zuppa Toscana with crusty bread or a simple salad to complement its rich flavors. It’s the perfect choice for a cozy dinner or a hearty lunch.
- Can I use turkey sausage instead of Italian sausage for a healthier version of Zuppa Toscana?
Absolutely! Turkey sausage is a great alternative and can make your Zuppa Toscana leaner.
- What are some creative garnishes for Zuppa Toscana?
You can garnish your soup with grated Parmesan cheese, fresh herbs like basil, or a drizzle.
- Can I freeze Zuppa Toscana for later consumption?
Yes, you can. Ensure that you let it cool down completely and put it in a sealed container. Freeze. Thaw before reheating in the microwave.
How to Store
Storing Zuppa Toscana is a breeze. It can be kept for up to three days, though it’s often so delicious that it doesn’t last that long!
Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- 1 Instant Pot Duo Crisp Plus Air Fryer 8 quart
- 1 chopping board
- 1 Ladle
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 lb Premium Pork Sausage
- 1/4 cup Chopped Red Onion
- 1 lb Cube Baking Potatoes please see notes
- 2 cups Water
- 11/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 4 Leaves Kale
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Beef Bouillon Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
Prepare the Ingredients
- Wash the kale, remove the stem of the kale, and roughly cut it off. Set it aside.
- Wash the potatoes and cut them into big cubes. Set it aside.
Prepare the Instant Pot
- Put the inner pot to the base and push the saute button setting. Wait for three minutes and melt the unsalted butter. Once melted, add the premium sausage and cook until brown.
- Add the chopped red onion. Add all the spices. Add the water and the diced potatoes.
- Cover the Instant Pot using the pressure cooker lid. Push the pressure cooker button setting and set the timer to five minutes. Quickly release when done.
- Cancel the pressure cooker button setting and push the saute function. Add the heavy whipping cream and add the kale. Gently mix and let your Zuppa Toscana simmer until the kale is wilted.
- Make a giant cube of cut potatoes. You want to be able to eat potatoes in the soup.
- When the potatoes are still hard with the cooking duration, continue cooking in saute mode before adding the Heavy Whipping cream and Kale.