How to Make Siopao with Meatballs Filling? Fret no more… the best snack is in the blog right at this moment in the form of this Siopao with Bola Bola Filling. Yum, I’d say.
Since Siopao is one of my most favorites snacks, today, I am sharing this Siopao which is filled with Meatballs or as what we call it in the Philippines, Bola-Bola which means balls. .
The dough of this Siopao is very versatile… there is a hint of sweetness in it that it just blends well into whatever filling you put into it. And the taste of the meatballs got along so well with the Siopao dough. It is just fitting to describe this Siopao recipe as easy is just fitting because:
1st: The Bola Bola filling was uncomplicated to make.
2nd: The dough is not that demanding to make. Although the first step of the dough is heating up the flour mixture, once you have tried it, it becomes a no brainer that you will be making another batch of Siopao.
3rd: And yup, the assembling. Yeah, I know, you will get your hands a little dirty but think of the rewards from your labor. You can save money by not buying meals from your work cafeteria because this is portable. Then you can freeze it too so that your kids can just take it out from the freezer and eat this Siopao their snacks.
How to Make Siopao with Meatballs Filling
- WARNING: IF THE DOUGH IS TOO GOOEY TO HANDLE SPRINKLE WITH MORE FLOUR AND ALSO SRINKLE WORK SURFACE WITH FLOUR UNTIL DOUGH CAN BE HANDLED EASILY.
FOR THE DOUGH:
- 3 cups All Purpose Flour flour plus ⅓ cup all purpose flour separate use
- ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2¼ teaspoon Rapid Rise Highly Active Yeast or 1 packet of Rapid Rise Highly Active Yeast
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅔ cup milk plus ⅓ cup separate use
- ½ cup water
- 1 egg room temperature
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- 3 lbs. lean hamburger meat
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 2 cups Quaker minute oatmeal not old fashioned
- 2 well beaten eggs
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/ s teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
Instructions for the Dough:
- Grease a large bowl with cooking oil set aside- we will use it to rise the dough.
- Place 3 cups flour,granulated sugar,salt,baking powder and yeast in the mixing bowl and mix completely using a wire whisk.Set aside.
- Place the additional ⅓ cup flour, ½ cup water and ⅓ cup milk in a small sauce pan and mix with spoon or whisk to incorporate, then heat it a low fire until pasty in texture ( as shown in the photo here
- When the flour is already pasty, add it to the 3 cups flour mixture.
- Place the butter in a microwave safe cup and heat for 1 minute or until the butter is lightly melted and pour into the mixing bowl.
- Heat the ⅔ cup of milk in the microwave for 1 minute and add into the mixing bowl. Mix all of the ingredients TWO TO THREE TIMES using the electric mixer THEN add in the egg
- Mix the dough using an electric mixer with a hook on. Mix until it will for a fluffy and soft dough. NOTE: You will notice that the dough is not mixing well, but continue mixing because eventually, the dough will become soft and smooth.Transfer the dough to the greased bowl and let the dough rise in a warm place for around 1 hour.
PREPARING THE SIOPAO
- When the dough had risen after an hour, form the dough into a small log and cut it into 7-14 small balls-IN MY CASE, THIS RECIPE YIELDED 14 LARGE SIOPAO .Using your hand, flatten the dough and place the steamed meatballs on the middle. Seal the dough on the edges and arrange it on the steamer. Do the same to the remaining dough.
COOKING THE SIOPAO:
- Cut parchment paper into 14 pieces. Around 2x2 size
- Boil 4-10 cups of water and steam the siopao for 20 minutes. You can freeze these siopao and microwave it wrap with wet paper towels and heat it for 1 minute before eating or steam it so that it is soft and fluffy.
For the Meatballs:
Mix the meatballs and shape into balls (a scoop works well):
- Place the meatballs into a steamer filled with 10 cups of water. Steam the meatballs until cook through.