These air fryer empanadas are cooked in the air fryer frozen. They air Fried for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. I used my tried empanada dough and the outcome is very delicious.
But if you want to bake these Empanadas, you can check this Bake Chicken Empanada.
Air Fryer Empanadas
I think you should make these Empanadas because it’s perfect for snacks and portable enough for travel. You can make a huge batch of them and freeze them. You can cook them in the air fryer, or you can cook them and bake it in your oven.
Note that I used my Instant Pot Duo Crisp using the Air Fryer lid, so it can be different from the Instant Model you have, so check your manual. But if you don’t have Instant Pot, you can bake this in your conventional oven using this recipe—> Bake Chicken Empanada.
1 egg is used as egg wash
12 oz frozen thawed peas and carrots drain water
Soy sauce salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoon oil
water to soften potato
Spray the air fryer tray with nonstick oil. Place the frozen empanada and brush with egg wash. Set the air fryer button at 350 F and set the timer to twenty minutes. Line the empanada in the air fryer tray
How to Make it?
Heat cooking oil and saute’ the onion until transparent.
Add in the meat and cook until brown.
Add the potato and about 1/4 cup or more and cook the potato until soft.
Add the peas and carrot and season the mixture with soy sauce, pepper, and salt. Season according to your taste. Add the raisins, mix all of the ingredients and turn off the heat.
Let the Empanada filling cool and prepare to assemble.
How to freeze
Line the empanadas on a baking sheet and freeze. When they hardened, gently remove and transfer them to the ziplock.
air fryer empanadas
- instant pot duo crisp plus air fryer
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 1 small potato cubed
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1/4 cup dried raisins
- 2 tablesppons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3-5 tablespoons ice water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cubed, room temperature
- 1 egg egg wash
How to Make the Filling
- Heat oil in a medium-sized pan and add the ground beef. Cook until no longer pink. Add in the cubed potatoes and cook until the potatoes are softened,
- Add the green peas and carrots. Cook until the peas are thawed, about three more minutes.
- Season with soy sauce. Season according to your liking. Turn off the heat and let the empanada filling cool down.
Make the Empanada Crust
- Place four to five tablespoons of water in a large cup and add two cubes of ice. Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and add the cubed butter. Mix the ingredients using your hand until it will look like loose sand. Slowly add the iced water. Start with two tablespoons. Mix using your hand until the dough comes together. Don't add too much water. You don't want wet dough. Add more water if needed. Continue mixing until you can form the dough into a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- Sprinkle a small amount of flour on a flat surface and place the dough there. Rub some flour on the rolling pin and flatten the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Form the dough into circles by pressing a round mold on it. You can use a glass or a biscuit cutter. Remove the dough by using a dough cutter as the dough tends to stick to the surface. Place the filling on one edge and fold the dough to one end. Press a fork on the edge to seal.
- Place and line the filled dough on a baking sheet and freeze for two hours. When the dough is ready, transfer it to a ziplock.
Air Fry the Empanadas
- Don't thaw the frozen Empanadas.Beat one egg and brush the empanadas with it. Spray nonstick oil on a dehydrator rack and place four to five pieces of frozen empanadas. Push the air fryer button and set the temperature to 350 F and the timer to twenty minutes. Put the air fryer lid on and air fry for twenty minutes. Don't turn the empanadas when it says so.If you are air frying nonfrozen empanadas, set the timer to twelve to fifteen minutes.Please see the notes to bake in a conventional oven.