This Chicken Empanada is a revised version what I was used to in the Philippines. Instead of deep frying these Chicken Empanadas, I opted to baked it so that it will not be too greasy and oily. For these Empanada filling, I used ground chicken so that it is higher in protein and a bit healthier. You can also use ground beef, ground pork or ground turkey for your Empanada filling but I today, we’ll settle with ground chicken, ok?
( KABAYAN MEANS FELLOW FILIPINO)
DO you know that there are a lot overseas Filipino workers who do not make their Chicken Empanada and just order it online? I know. It sounds weird at first, because since I have been making my own Empanada, I thought my ” KABAYANS” make their own too. But no. They spend so much money with shipping and handling to get this favorite Filipino snack. Patiently waiting for it to arrive, and hoping that their Empanadas are handled properly by the mailing company for it to arrive intact. So today EMPANADA IS JUST NEAR YOU, KABAYANS. Just a little step going towards you kitchen, because today, you are making your own Empanada. In this post, we will make our own Empanada filling and crust. I also have a video to guide you on how to make it.
SO Let’s get cooking.
HERE ARE MORE FILIPINO RECIPE THAT YOU MAY WANT TO TRY:
CHICKEN EMPANADA BAKED NON GREASY
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter slice into cube
- 4-5 tablespoon ice water
- 1 egg used as egg wash
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 1 lb ground chicken or ground pork
- 1 medium sized potato cubed (in the video, I froze my potato, so I drain it)
- 12 oz frozen fthawwed peas and carrots drain water
- 2/3 cup raisins
- soy sauce salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon oil
- water to soften potato
- Pre heat oven at 400 F and place rack in the middle of the oven. Line baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside until ready to use.
- Put ingredients 1 to 5 in a medium sized bowl and mix with wire whisk. Intermittently add iced cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time and knead until all of the ingredients come together. I used about 5 tablespoons of iced cold water in this recipe.
- Wrap crust in a plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- When ready, flatten crust and using a cookie cutter cut into rounds.
- Add filling in the middle and seal. As shown in the video
- Heat cooking oil and saute' onion until transparent.
- Add in the meat and cook until brown.
- Add the potato and about 1/4 cup or more and cook potato until soft.
- Add the peas and carrot and season mixture with soy sauce, pepper and salt. Season according to your taste. Add the raisins, mix all of the ingredients and turn off heat.
- Let the Empanada filling cool and prepare to assemble.