BRAZO DE MERCEDES RECIPE. NO FAIL AND EASY RECIPE INSTRUCTION FOR SURE SUCCESS. Read the tips and watch the video to guide you. If this is your first making it, be ready to celebrate.
What is Brazo de Mercedes?
Brazo de Mercedes is a Filipino sweet cake famous in the Philippines. It’s name was derived from the Spanish word Brazo which means arms. It actually has its religious origin from Arm of Lady of Mercy. I am not why it’s called this name when Brazo’s origin happened by repurposing egg yolks from making mortars during in Spanish colonial period. I am guessing since it’s formed like an arm, and our devotion form Lady of Mercy, the name could have happened through that.
HOW TO MAKE BRAZO DE MERCEDES?
It took me awhile to really make this, because I thought it would be hard for make my own. But since nobody really make or sells Brazo de Mercedes in my nook here, so out of necessity I made my own and now you can too. And this Brazo De Mercedes recipe is all you need to succeed it. Below are the must list I have to do before I make this delicious Filipino dessert.
- Prepare all of the ingredients and grease all sides of the pan generously.
- Have patience . You need this when you are making the meringue and removing the wax paper.
BRAZO MERCEDES RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
Cream of Tartar
I DON’T HAVE CREAM OF TARTAR WHAT CAN I USE?
You can use 1 teaspoon lemon juice or white vinegar for 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar.
Equipment needed when Making Brazo de Mercedes:
- Well greased pan
- Wax paper
- Electric mixer. Although you can use your arm and hands to make the meringue,but it is so tough to do so, so invest in an electric mixer.
How to roll Brazo de Mercedes?
Gently roll your Brazo de Mercedes gently and patiently.Don’t worry if it cracks a bit.
TIPS FOR MAKING A NO FAIL BRAZO DE MERCEDES:
- Grease all sides of the pan generously.For this I used 10×12 inch pan.
- Separate the eggs in the separate small bowl, then put it in the mixing bowl. This way, you will not risk the whole batch of egg whites when a yolk accidentally taint in it. Use chilled eggs.It is easier to separate.
- While mixing, make sure to pause and scrapes the sides of the egg whites mixture for even mixing. This will help to make an even consistency of your meringue and hold the cake’s shape.
- Stiff peaks is a must as it hold the shape of the Brazo. Check out the video how it looks like.
- I think it looks better if the direction of the fork is cross wise than lengh twise. Dont. push the fork deeply,just lightly.
- Very gently remove the wax paper from the cake, but don’t get discourage when the cake breaks a bit. You can cover it with powdered sugar. THAT’S WHY IT’S VERY IMPORTANT TO GREASE WAX PAPER GENEROUSLY WITH NON STICK OIL OR JUST COOKING OIL. I USE CANOLA OIL.
- Using a knife, make sure the cake is not sticking on the pan.
- Put the filling at the middle of the cake. Although you can spread the filling on the whole cake,but I just find it cleaner to fill at the middle.
- Always keep watch on you custard when you are cooking,as it sticks on the bottom and it burns quickly.
- Be patient when spreading the meringue. It was annoying to spread it, but if it is not flat and level as how you want it, it’s ok as it will flatten equally after baking.
- Pre heat you oven.
- Don’t forget the powdered sugar and cover with wax paper before flipping the pan. It helps for easy rolling of the Brazo de Mercedes. Check out this blog for more info.
BRAZO DE MERCEDES RECIPE
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 CAN 14 OZ condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- Prepare pan by generously greasing all sides of the pan 10 x 12 inch pan with oil and cover it with wax paper, then grease the wax paper. You can brush the oil or spray it. Set aside.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, mix egg yolks, condensed milk and cook in a low heat. Scrape the side from side to side. Cook and stirring constantly and add the butter 1 tablespoon at a time until sticky.
- Remove the filling from the heat and let cool.
- Separate the egg yolks from white. Use a small bowl when separating them so that you will not risk throwing the whole batch of egg white just in case it's tainted with egg yolk.
- Using electric mixer, add cream of tartar and mix until frothy. Add the vanilla extract and mix.Add the sugar 1/4 at a time mix until stiff peaks.
- Spread mixture in the prepared pan and level with a spatula. Create pattern using a fork or icing zigzag pattern.
- Bake in a pre- heated 350 F oven for 20 minutes, or until top is brown.It puffs up when baked but deflates a little once out of the oven.
- Sprinkle top with powdered sugar and cover with parchment paper and flip meringue and fill the middle with custard.
- Roll meringue and roll tightly like a jelly roll. Chill before serving.
Hi, my name is Shobee. Welcome to The Skinny Pot, where we cook Easy Recipes from the available ingredients from our pantry and fridge! We’re your go-to source for simple and delicious recipes that make the most of what you already have at home. Talk about the pantry challenge. Read more...