Buko Pandan Salad recipe in 3 colors. With easy access of Gelatin, you don’t need Agar Agar, and since Pandan flavoring is easily availablr too, you can easily this Buko Pandan Salad at home.
BUKO PANDAN SALAD
The last time I ate this was when I was in the Philippines; So, it has been 19 years. It is not because it is hard to make, or the ingredients are hard to find, but it’s because I chose to. But when my friends 50th birthday, arrived, I opted to make this and Ensaymada to make something really “Filipino.”
In this recipe, I used Pandan leaves as flavoring; but you don’t need to do that. You can use Pandan flavoring and for the gelatin, you can use Knox gelatin which can easily accessible in the store. And I just found out that Walmart sells young coconut, SO LET’S MAKE THIS.
WHAT ARE BUKO PANDAN SALAD INGREDIENTS:
9 pieces of frozen pandan leaves but thawed OR 3 TEASPOONS OF Pandan flavoring
3 food coloring of your choice
2 – 3 cups young coconut, shredded with coconut water
1 can condensed milk
1 Nestle’ Heavy Cream
3 packets of non flavored Gelatin
HOW TO MAKE THE PANDAN EXTRACT
Instead of using the pandan flavoring, I made my own extract by boiling the leaves in a 1 1/2 cups of water for each color. There is also another way to extract Pandan which you can find here:
How to make buko pandan:
- Making buko pandan salad is very easy, really. You just have to mix them together. In my situation, though, I had to crack the coconut open. And shred the coconut meat. This can be avoided if your grocery store butcher will crack the coconut for you. Just make sure that he keeps the coconut juice, since we need it for this recipe.
- Making the gelatin: In hind sight, I should have boiled 4 1/2 cups coconut juice with the pandan leaves in one batch, and just divide it in 1 ½ cups in different bowls, then add the colors. OH WELL.
- Use the Heavy Nestle’ Cream. Tried it with just the condensed milk and the taste is not as good when using both.
BUKO PANDAN SALAD RECIPES IN 3 COLORS NO AGAR AGAR
- 9 pandan leaves frozen thawed cut about 2 inches or, 3 TEASPOONS OF pandan extract
- 4 1/2 cups of coconut juice
- 3 packets Know Non flavored gelatin
- 1 can 7.6 oz Heavy Nestle' Cream
- 1 can 12 oz condensed milk
- 2 1/2 cups to 3 cups of young coconut shredded
- 1 bottle 12 oz White Sago drained and washed to remove sweetness
- Shred coconut meat and set aside. Do not discard coconut water for the gelatin mixture.
- Prepare the flavored gelatin. It is up to you, how to do this, but in my part,I boiled 1 1/2 cups of coconut juice and the 3 pieces thawed pandan leaves. Discard leaves then I add the knox gelatin and the green food color and pour it in an 8 x8 square pAN and refrigerate until firm, about 4 hours. I repeat the process for the blue and red colors.
OR, YOU CAN boil the 4 1/2 cup of coconut juice with 9 thawed and cut pandan leaves. Divide the water in 1 1/2 cups per pan and add in 1 packet of Knox gelatin in each pan and add 1 /2 teaspoon of the food color of your choice and refrigerate mixture until firm- about 4 hours.
- When gelatin is ready and firm, slice into small cubes and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the condense milk and Heavy Nestle' cream. Add in the coconut meat.sago and the gelatin. Gently mix and cover container. Refrigerate and serve cold.