Instant Pot Vietnamese Pork Skewers. Like the marinade for this rich pork, some recipes soak into your head and become all you can think about. These skewers will fill your brain with delicious daydreams.
What is Instant Pot Vietnamese Pork Skewers
Every culture has its interpretation of the skewer and this delicious Vietnamese dish incorporates tons of awesome Asian flavors. Flavors like lemongrass and hoisin give this pork its signature sticky and irresistible flavor. Slicing and skewering meat is a tried-and-true way to ensure even cooking every time and my Instant Pot update makes this Vietnamese classic easy and quick!
Why You Will Love Instant Pot Vietnamese Pork Skewers
You all probably know by now, but I love my Instant Pot. This countertop pressure cooker makes the meat so juicy and tender and all you need to do is push a couple of buttons! These Instant Pot Vietnamese Pork Skewers come out so full of flavor and tender thanks to the amazing pressure-cooking powerhouse that is the Instant Pot.
Don’t panic if you don’t have an Instant Pot you can still enjoy these tasty Vietnamese Pork Skewers. This recipe includes instructions for grilling the skewers for anyone who can’t pressure-cook or prefers the grilled flavor.
Speedy and Scrumptious
Wonderfully delicious Vietnamese Pork Skewers take very little time and prep work to be sensational! This recipe uses the power of marinade and pressure-cooking to infuse a big flavor in very little time.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Vietnamese Pork Skewers
- Garlic-Garlic is a great botanical commonly used in Vietnamese cooking. Fresh is always best, but there are great frozen and refrigerated versions of this staple herb available.
- Shallot –Shallots are great for bringing notes of onion, garlic, and sweetness to dishes. Find these near the garlic in the produce section.
- Lemongrass-Lemongrass is a bright and grassy herb that is a signature flavor of Vietnamese cuisine.
- Brown Sugar –Adds a nice molasses flavor in addition to sweetness.
- Black Pepper-A little pepper brings out all the savory flavors of the pork.
- Honey-Honey helps sweeten the marinade and adds nice floral notes to the dish.
- Fish Sauce-This condiment adds salt and the rich flavor of the ocean.
- Soy Sauce-Adds plenty of salty umami flavor, but if you are watching your sodium you can swap for the low-sodium variety.
- Hoisin Sauce-This brilliantly sticky sauce has great notes of soy sauce and caramel. It adds great depth to the pork marinade. Find hoisin sauce near the soy sauce in the grocery store.
- Pork Shoulder (or Picnic Roast) – Shoulder or picnic roast is the cut of pork just below the shoulder cap (pork butt). It is rich and easy to find and work with. When in doubt, ask the butcher for help choosing the best pork roast.
- Bamboo Skewers –Bamboo skewers are the perfect choice for the instant. They are slightly flexible, easy to find, and hold up well. Avoid using metal skewers in the Instant Pot to avoid scratching the inner pot.
- Bowl- use a large bowl.
- Instant Pot Duo 8 qt
- Rice Noodles –This ingredient is very easy to find in stores and comes in varying thicknesses and styles. I like to use traditional thin rice noodles.
- Cucumber- Fresh cucumber helps to mellow out the big flavors in this dish and make everything sing!
- Basil –Basil is commonly used in Vietnamese recipes for its fresh and sweet flavor. Choose fresh basil with bright green and untorn leaves.
- Mint –Another wonderfully sweet herb to add depth to the lemongrass pork.
Vietnamese Fish Sauce Dressing:
- Green Onion Oil –This flavorful ingredient is easier to find online than in stores. Another great option is to make it yourself by simply simmering green onions in neutral oil.
- Mung Bean Seed Sprouts-Major groceries will carry this ingredient mostly in its canned form, but some specialty grocers may have the fresh version in their produce sections.
Mix the Marinade:
- Mince the garlic, shallot, and lemongrass.
- Mix everything in a bowl and set it aside.
Prep the Pork:
- Slice the pork shoulder into ¼ inch thickness and place in a large bowl.
- Add the marinade ingredients and coat the meat with it. Cover the bowl and marinate the meat overnight.
Make the Skewers:
- Before using, soak the skewers in cold water for 30 minutes to prevent them from burning when grilling.
- Cook the pork skewers in the Instant Pot with an air fryer lid.
- Place the inner pot in the Instant Pot Base. Put the air fryer basket and spray it with nonstick oil. Arrange three pieces of skewered meat and spray them with nonstick oil. Cover with the air fryer lid and push the air fryer setting. Set the temperature to 390 F and set the timer to ten minutes.
On The Grill:
- You can use a gas or charcoal grill. Charcoal would be better since it’s more authentic. Get your grill up to 400F to 450F.
- Place the skewers on the cooking grate. Keep a close eye on them.
- Flip every 2 minutes.
- The pork skewers are ready when the meat turns dark brown with some beautifully charred edges.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Plan ahead to make this recipe because the pork should marinate overnight. Fortunately, this means quick cooking on the day of serving!
- Remember to slice the lemongrass, its full flavor is only released when the stalks are broken.
- Soak the skewers for at least an hour to avoid burning!
What to Serve with Instant Pot Vietnamese Pork Skewers?
The recipe calls for rice noodles, fresh cucumber, and beautiful herbs to pair with this richly seasoned pork, but that is just a jumping-off point. Turn the table into a real feast by adding cream cheese wontons or better yet try my Cream Cheese Garlic Bread.
These Pork Skewers were made to shine so no matter what you pair them with you will have a beautiful and delectable meal!
When to Enjoy Instant Pot Vietnamese Pork Skewers?
This is a great Monday night meal. Start the pork marinade on Sunday and you will have an unbelievably easy and delicious Monday night dinner. These Vietnamese Pork Skewers are great for having guests over, too. Go the grilled route and entertain outside. The flavors of lemongrass and garlic in the pork will relax everyone on a warm summer night!
Can I Store Leftover Instant Pot Vietnamese Pork Skewers?
- Yes, these skewers can be stored. First, allow the pork to cool completely, optionally remove the meat from the skewers, and place it into an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- Reheat the pork in a microwave by putting the desired amount of pork in a microwave-safe bowl and heating for up to 2 minutes,
- Reheat the pork in the oven by preheating the oven to 350°F and spraying a baking sheet with non-stick spray. Arrange the pork in a single layer and bake for up to 15 minutes or until fully heated.
More Recipes You’ll Love
This recipe reminds me of the easy and fun feeling of a summer cookout. Here are more recipes to put you in the mood to relax and entertain!
- Food for the Gods
- No-Bake Ube Leche Flan
- One Meatball Recipe – Three Ways
- Honey Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot Meat Bread
Instant Pot Vietnamese Pork Skewers
- bamboo skewers
- pan for frying
- Instant Pot Duo Crisp plus Air Fryers 8 quart
- 2 lb pork shoulder
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 stalk lemon grass crush and minced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp lemon grass oil optional but highly recommended
- 1 tbsp lemongrass powder optional but highly recommended
- canola oil use this to fry the meat
- 8 oz Rice noodles
- Vietnamese Fish Sauce Dressing please see notes
- Green onion oil please see notes
- Bean spouts, mint, basil
Prepare the Pork
- Slice the pork shoulders into thin slices. One-fourth inch thickness.
- Place the meat in a large bowl and add in the marinade. Mix the marinade ingredients, except the canola oil, and cover with plastic wrap. Marinate the meat overnight.
- When ready, thread the meat and cook as instructed.
On The Grill
- You can use a gas or charcoal grill. Charcoal would be better since it’s more authentic. Get your grill up to 400F to 450F.Place the skewers on the cooking grate. Keep a close eye on them. Flip every 2 minutesThe pork skewers are ready when the meat turns dark brown with some beautiful charred edges
In the Instant Pot
- Place the inner pot in the Instant Pot base. Put the trivet in place and put three pieces of skewers on it. I can only cook three skewers in my 8 quart instant pot, so I freeze the leftover meat for future use.
- Cover with the air fryer lid and push the bake setting button. Set the temperature to 390 F and set the timer to twelve minutes.
In the oven
- Place the oven rack at the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 390 F . Line the skewers in a baking pan. When the oven is ready, place the pan to the middle of the rack and bake the skewer for 35 minutes.
Assemble your plate
- Cook the noodles per instruction
- Top it with the vegetables and pour enough Fish sauce dressing on top and add the green onion oil. Top with the skewered meat.