CHINESE PORK BELLY WITH BEST CRACKLES OF CRISPNESS.
Juicy meat, best crisp roasted pork belly and delicious rub you can smother on the pork lean meat. This is the recipe you must try. This is just similar to the Chinese pork belly take out you can get. Check it out on the blog.
Hello, guys!! Today, I am sharing with you one of my most favorite Filipino meal - CHINESE PORK BELLY WITH BEST CRACKLES OF CRISPNESS. Seriously, it is so delicious and if I can, I will eat this every single day of my life. But this Chinese Pork belly fell into the category of comfort food... hmmmm, it's not that healthy. But I made it a little healthier BY ROASTING IT- will that do?
SO THIS IS A ROASTED PORK BELLY WITH A TOTALLY CRISPY SKIN AND REALLY TASTY FLESH. HOW DID I ACHIEVE THAT?
keep on reading...
THE NOT SO SECRET TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST PORK BELLY:
- poke holes on the the skin - lots of it
- make sure that the slab of pork belly meat is dry, by patting it dry with paper towel and refrigerate it uncovered overnight.
- bake it for an hour and then broil.
- cover it with rock salt.
WHAT IS BROIL THE PORK BELLY?
- Broiling is not similar to BAKING.
- Broiling is just one of the feature on your oven. You can usually see it on top near to BAKE BUTTON.
- It has LO, MEDIUM, HI choices.
- Unfortunately, you have to use the broiling feature toward the end of the cooking to get that BEST PORK BELLY CRISP.
MY OVEN DO NOT HAVE A BROILING FEATURE :
- You can deep fry the slab of meat, almost on how I cooked my Lechon Kawali Recipe.
- In this post, I used pepper,salt and five spice powder. This combination just make the pork belly very tasty and there is a distinct smell from the five spice. If you don't have five spice powder, you can just use salt and pepper and add a little bit of Paprika. I am not a big fan of the paprika, due to the smoky smell and flavor, but it will do.
- If I were you though, I will invest in Five Spice Powder since after making this, you will be making it again.
WHAT KIND OF PORK BELLY TO BUY?
- I highly recommend using a pork belly with good amount of fat, and good amount of flesh in it.
- Some pork belly I saw in the store have no pork belly in it, and that's a no,no. The fat seeps through the hole and helps make those crisp bubbles.
- Choose pork belly that has even thickness. It will have evenly cooked crackling.
MY PORK BELLY WAS CHEWY NOT CRISPY:
- Did you broil it? We roast it first by baking, then we change the feature to broil.
- Was the meat dry? It's the dryness of the skin that makes it crispy.
HOW TO SERVE CRISPY PORK BELLY?
- I use the ready Filipino lechon sauce Mang Tomas
- Mixture of vinegar,soy sauce, garlic, onion and tomatoes
- Fish sauce with vinegar
- Simply just fish sauce
So, let's get cooking!Print
CHINESE PORK BELLY WITH BEST CRACKLES OF CRISPNESS.Juicy meat, best crisp roasted pork belly and delicious rub you can smother on the pork lean meat. This is the recipe you must try. This is just similar to the Chinese pork belly take out you can get. Check it out on the blog.
2 lbs of pork belly slab
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon five spice powder
1 cup coarse salt ( I used coarse Kosher Salt here)
Put pork belly slab on a flat surface.
Using an ice pick, nails, or skewer, poke holes on the skin- lots of holes . Pat dry the belly.
Flip the meat and rub it with salt, pepper and five spice powder. Making sure that all nooks is covered with the rub.
Filp the belly again and pat dry.
Put the pork belly on a tin foil and cover all side with the foil, leaving the skin open.
Refrigerate the pork belly uncovered, overnight to make the slab dry.
When ready to cook, pre heat oven at 350 F.
Brush the pork bell with vinegar and cover the pork belly slab with rock salt. I used coarse Kosher salt in this post.
Bake in a pre heated 350 F oven for 1 hour.
After an hour, remove the pork belly from the oven. Remove the salt from the skin. Try to skim off the rock salt as much as you can, so that the meat is not too salty.
Change oven setting to broil. and move the rack to the lowest level. About 10 inch far from the top. This is very important, because if the belly is close to the top, it will burn, so make sure the pork belly is far from the top.
Broil pork belly for 25 minutes.