This Steamed Pork Belly with Asian Glazed Sauce is the adjacent recipe each time I make Lechon Kawali because both recipes prelude with pre boiling the meat to soften it.
You cannot go wrong with pork belly. It is always a crowd favorite and it never fails to please.And this menu today is just one of those pork belly recipe that my family enjoy.It is a very simple recipe and very tasty. Since the meat had been pre boiled, steaming it upped its softness to the next level, that each bite of the meat simply melts in your mouth. The hoisin sauce and cooking wine which serves as a marinade and glaze make this recipe flavorful. You’ll have more than one serving.
I usually buy a huge batch of pork belly so that when I crave for it, it is readily available. I boil the pork belly in batch and divide it accordingly depending on the menu I want, and then I freeze it. Since a pork belly is unfortunately very fatty, it usually sits in my freezer for 2 to 3 months until I use it. I am telling you, if I have a choice, just like Lechon Kawali, I will make this steamed pork belly every single day because it is very addicting specially when topped on rice.
- oven safe plate
- 2 lbs Pork Belly pre boiled
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 1/8 cup Hoisin Sauce
- 1/8 cup Rice Cooking Wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 stem Green onion to garnish
- Fill steamer with 6-10 cups of water and let the water boil.
- Slice pre boiled pork belly into 1 1/2 inch by 1 1/2 inch thick.
- Transfer meat and arrange into a heat safe container. In my case,I used a glass pie pan and then steam ,(boiling water) , the pork belly until more juices comes out-around 10 more minutes-
- Drain the juices into a separate container and mix with the Hoisin sauce,cooking wine and water. Set aside.
- In a pan, heat canola oil and saute the onion until translucent. Add in the pork belly and let it absorb the onion flavor for 2 minutes. Mix in the Hoisin sauce mixture and let the meat simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Season with salt if you need to, but the seasoning of this recipe is ample for us. Garnis with green onion.