This post How to Prepare Chicken Drumsticks for Lollipops will be helpful for you when you are planning to cook chicken drumsticks. Here’s the process with pictures of how to do it.
This is a detailed instruction on how to prepare your drumsticks for Lollipops. In my post, Drums from Heaven and Chicken Lollipops, I showed you the recipe and overview of how to do it, but not a step-by-step image of the process. So here it is!
Preparing the chicken drumsticks and chicken wings sections are called Frenching. In this technique, you need to remove the meats from the knuckle of the chicken leg. Wings are trimmed to expose the bone by partially cutting and pushing back the meat towards one end.
Tools to Use
Table of Contents
- Sharp knife
- Kitchen shears
- Cutting board
- Paper towels
Chicken Drumsticks are a very versatile ingredient when it comes to cooking. I have used it for my Chicken Adobo and Drums of heaven. You can use it for your soup- Tinolang Manok. The possibilities are endless. In this case, I am thinking of you making Chicken Lollipops as an appetizer for your party.
How to French Chicken Drumstick?
- Place the drumstick on a flat surface and make a cut to the end.
- Push the meat to the end and form the meat into an arranged round meat.
Basic Anatomy Of Chicken Wing
Let’s understand the basic physical structure of chicken wings. This will help to understand the way of Frenching easily. You can divide the chicken wing into three parts:
- Drumette: this is the meatiest part of the chicken, with a single bone related to the chicken body.
- The Flat /Mid-Wing: this is a midsection between the elbow and wingtip of the chicken.
- The Tip: the last part of the chicken wing with a bit of meat. It is usually discarded or stored for chicken stock or any other purpose.
How To French Chicken Drumstick And Wing Sections
Frenching The Drumette:
It is a technique to prepare chicken wing bone for a fancier presentation. This is a good way of cutting for many aesthetic reasons. So, let’s Place the chicken wing on the cutting board with the bone facing up. Grip the drumette tightly from the meaty side and scarf off any meat or skin with a knife from the other side. Now from the top of the bone, scrape the skin downwards towards the meaty part (Which you grabbed in your hand already). Now use a paper towel to hold the bone and kitchen shears to remove the tendons.
Frenching the flat/Mid wing
Lay the leg and cut around the circumference of the bone with a small sharp knife just above the meat. Now cut the angled part (joint). Be careful not to cut the meat or skin. Now chicken drumstick Frenching is done. Repeat all steps for each drumstick.
How to Prepare Chicken Drumsticks for Lollipops
- sharp knife
- Paper towel
- Place the chicken drumsticks on a flat surface and cut the skin and connective tissue from the knuckles as shown above.
- Push the meat down to one edge and clean any excess meat from the bone. Season according to the recipe you are making.
Hi, my name is Shobee. Welcome to The Skinny Pot, where we cook Easy Recipes from the available ingredients from our pantry and fridge! We’re your go-to source for simple and delicious recipes that make the most of what you already have at home. Talk about the pantry challenge. Read more...