This Easy Drums of Heaven Recipe (Chicken Lollipops with Sauce) is a different twist from the usual fried chicken. It can be deep fried, or even better when cooked in the air fryer. They are marinated in simple spices and coated in sweet spicy sauce.
I am so excited to share with you this recipe. My family always enjoys this just for munching on a relaxing afternoon or eating it for dinner with lots of rice.
So let’s make this flavor-bomb chicken recipe. This is an extension of the chicken lollipops I made a while back. This may look intimidating but once you get past the “frenching” of the chicken, this is a breeze.
What Are Drums Of Heaven?
If you want to stop your Chinese food cravings, then try this Indochinese food. Chicken Lollipops are coated in sweet, salty, and zesty sauces, and this food is commonly used as an appetizer at gatherings and parties. Drums of heaven is an advanced form of chicken lollipops that feel like heaven in its dramatic taste. You can use chicken wings and drumsticks to try this recipe and serve your adults as a side dish, appetizer, and starter.
Why You’ll love this?
- Its delicious flavor: Take its first bite, and you will fall in love with its balanced combination of tangy, sweet, and spicy seasonings.
- Perfect as an appetizer Nothing is better than simple food to eat in gatherings and groups. Therefore, these chicken wings are perfect in size with their easy-to-hold feature.
- Versatile food: Drums of Heaven are versatile because these are easy to fit in every meal. You can serve them as an appetizer, main course, and starter. So, enjoy it at any time of the day.
Required Kitchen Tools
- Mixing bowls
- Cutting board and knife
- Wok, Instant pot, or air fryer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Chicken lollipops– you can follow my recipe for delicious Chicken lollipops to know more about it. You can use these Chicken Lollipops Wings Sections I made a while back, or you can use drumsticks.
- Non-Stick oil-You need this so that the chicken will not stick in the air fryer basket, and oil is required for frying.
- All-purpose flour and beaten egg –It will help to get a stick, gummy, and thick marination coating for a nice crust when cooked.
- Marinated and Coated Chicken Lollipops
- These spices are used to add taste to the chicken. We will spices that are staples in our pantry: garlic and onion powder, salt, paprika, and black ground pepper.
- Sweet Chili Sauce-This sauce adds a magical taste to lollipops. This is a readily available item from nearby grocery stores, or you can make your own.
- Garlic, Ginger, Green Chili, and Onion-use a food processor or chopper to get chopped garlic, ginger, chili, and onion. The use of these will give a distinctive taste.
- Ketchup-The ketchup adds sweetness and helps to thicken the sauce.
- Coriander and Spring Onions: add chopped spring onion to get a perfect Chinese look and flavor. But it is optional to use Coriander for flavor.
How to Prepare Lollipop Chicken Drumsticks
- French the Chicken Drumsticks by checking on the How to French Chicken Drumsticks post.
- Pat dry prepared drumsticks and coat them with homemade spices.
- Let the chicken rest in the fridge overnight or for at least an hour.
- When ready, bread the chicken by dipping them into the egg.
- Roll into the flour.
Cook in the Air Fryer:
Push the air fryer button and push the temperature to 400 F preheat for ten minutes.
When the air fryer is done preheating, spray the air fryer basket with nonstick oil and line the chicken drumsticks.
Spray the chicken with nonstick oil.
Air fry for twenty minutes. Turn the chicken drumsticks when required.
Make the Sauce
- Heat oil in a wok and add ginger and garlic. Fry on high flame for a minute and add chopped onions. Keep stir-frying till the onions soften.
- Add green chilies and stir for a minute.
- Add sweet chili sauce and ketchup. Let the sauce simmer for 2 minutes and add the chicken lollipops
- Garnish with coriander and chopped spring onions before serving.
What Are The Options For Serving Drums Of Heaven?
- Dipping Sauces: these are mostly served with dipping sauces such as bang bang sauce, tzatziki sauce, chili sauce, garlic sauce, or yogurt-based dips.
- Steamed Rice: if you want to eat balanced food, make the perfect pair with Instant Pot Rice, Instant Pot Tomato Rice, or Cilantro Rice Cooker Lime Rice. It will balance out the spiciness of the chicken.
- Roasted Vegetables: roasted veggies are suitable to serve with drums of heaven. So, you can use broccoli, carrots, potatoes, or bell peppers and add additional nutrition and hints to your platter.
- Fresh Vegetable Salad: fresh salads are good for making the best combo of the crunch of veggies and the softness of juicy chicken. So, make a green salad or coleslaw to add freshness to your mealtime.
Eventually, the sides you choose will depend on your liking and the circumstance. So, feel free to test and try several patterns to discover your favorite pairing!
- Marinate the prepared chicken drumstick for at least sixty minutes. For the best results, marinate the chicken in the refrigerator overnight. Remove the chicken from the fridge 10 minutes before frying.
- When frying, ensure the oil is at 350F/ 176C for frying the chicken. This temperature is ideal for perfectly cooked, crispy chicken.
- You can also make these ahead by frying them once and storing them for several hours. When ready to serve, heat the oil to about 400F/204C and flash fry the lollipops for the second time for a minute. This will give it a super crispy coating and hot chicken lollipops will be ready. Only do the Drums of Heaven stir fry when you’re ready to serve.
- Make sure that you spray the air fryer basket with nonstick oil for an easy turn.
How is it Stored?
Drums of heaven can’t be stored for later as the chicken becomes soggy, and the corn flour makes the sauce thick. I recommend serving them immediately.
- 1 Instant Pot Air Fryer 6 QT
- 7 pieces Frenched Chicken Drumsticks please see notes on how to make chicken lollipops
- nonstick oil
Chicken Spice Marinade
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup all- purpose flour
Drums of Heaven Sauce
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 2 pieces green chilis chopped
- 1/2 cup Sweet Chili Sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- Please see the notes on how to prepare the chicken for Lollipops
- Beat the egg in a small bowl until there are no white streaks.
- Put the flour inside the bowl or plate.
- Dip/Coat the drumstick with the egg and roll it into the flour. Shake the excess flour.
Air Fry the Drumsticks
- Push the air fryer button and push the temperature to 400 F preheat for ten minutes.
- When the air fryer is done preheating, spray the air fryer basket with nonstick oil and line the chicken drumsticks. Spray the chicken with the nonstick oil and air fry for total of twenty minutes. This is ten minutes each side. urn the chicken drumsticks when required.
- Heat oil in a large pan and let the temperature reach 350 F. You can also test the oil by putting the chopstick in the middle of the pan. When bubbles congregate in the middle, the oil is hot enough.
- Deep Fry four chicken drumsticks at a time until golden brown and fry the rest of the drumsticks.
- Remove breadcrumbs residues and double fry the drumsticks.
Drums of Heaven Sauce
- Heat the oil in a wok and brown the saute the ginger until aromatic. Add the garlic and continue cooking until slightly brown. Add in the chopped green chilis. Cook for another two minutes.
- Add the sweet chili sauce and ketchup. Let it simmer on low heat and add the prepared chicken lollipops.
- Gently coat the chicken lollipops with the sauce and serve hot.