Hello, guys! Today I am sharing with you another cake roll design that I have been trying to perfect so that I can share it with you before V day. Remember when I shared the Valentine Strawberry Swiss Rolls? I thought that one was delicious, but this time, I put some distinct flavor in it by adding instant coffee. At first, I tried the Mamon recipe and that one failed miserably. I guess the cake for that one is really soft to hold the flower design I planned for it. I tried it again using this recipe and boy, it was a success! As a blogger, I wish that I will get the recipe the first time, but it is just not the case most of the time. Most of the time, I have to redo recipes so that when I share it to the world, I hope that you, my readers do not have to waste ingredients.
I am actually drafting this post the New Year’s eve, so at the same time, I am thinking what will be my “word” for the year 2020. Last year, my word was STOP. Stop to smell the roses, stop to any craziness, stop to any worries , etc. Although there are times I recall the word in my mind when crazy happens in my life, sometimes though, I find comfort in dwelling in the craziness. But that took a toll on my peace… SO THIS YEAR, PEACE IS MY WORD.
The Bible said, MY PEACE I LIVE YOU, MY PEACE I GIVE, DO NOT LET YOUR HEARTS BE TROUBLE,NOR LET IT BE AFRAID.
I want to claim it for myself this 2020. I feel like as I am getting older, I really need to declutter my mind and live a peaceful life. Looking in the past 3 years, my mind was just in chaos. I think one of the reason was that I was trying to control everything. So this year, I will learn to let go the thing that I can’t control and not spread myself too thin, so that I can be peaceful. I will also learn to LET GO to achieve peace of mind.
OK~ now about this delicious cake.
LEARN HOW TO MAKE THIS MOCHA SWISS ROLLS:
I think printing and tracing the template ahead of time is very important so that it is less stressful for you.
- Place the template on a flat surface, top it with parchment paper TAPE ON ONE SIDE AND ONE TO THE THE OTHER. Trace the letter first. After tracing the letter, let it completely dry and start tracing the heart shape. Eventually, you will be able to figure out your tactics on tracing the pattern. For me, I start with the vertical lines and then the horizontal. For the hearts, I start in the mid curve, fill one side and move to the other side.
ROLLING THE MOCHA ROLL:
- Each time I make swiss rolls, I am so worried in rolling them. BECAUSE MOST OF THE TIME, THE CAKE CRACKS 🙁
- Make sure that you generously sprinkle the cake with powder sugar. Cover it with parchment.
- Make sure the cake is covered with a pan or any flat surface that will hold the cake upon flipping.
- Remove the parchment paper pattern gently, cover with parchment and pan. Flip again and roll the cake gently. LET IS SIT FOR 30 MINUTES TO AND HOUR. We are just building a shape muscle for the cake. Letting it sit for the long time, makes the cake very soggy.
TIPS TO MAKE THESE CAKE ROLL:
- Use the right pan 9.5 x 13 inches sheet pan
- Follow the ingredients. I tried changing the coconut oil to canola and the coconut milk to regular milk and it made the cake really weak and it did not hold the pattern
- Don’t grease you pan.
- For the pattern paste, don’t melt the butter. Use a softened butter.
Valentine Mocha Love Swiss Rolls
Valentine Mocha Love Swiss Rolls - Learn how to make this Love swiss roll. Tested recipe, print the free pattern, tips on how to roll. And amaze your friends and love ones.
FOR THE CAKE:
- 6 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 80 ml coconut oil
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 10 tablespoons cake flour
- 1 tablespoons Nescafe' instant coffee.
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 11 tablespoons granulated sugar
- powdered sugar to spread generously on the cooked cake
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons granulate sugar
- 1/3 cup All purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter softened
- red strong color paste 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoons
- FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix egg white and granulated sugar until frothy. Add the butter and mix. Add in the flour and mix until mixture is smooth.
- Don't add the color paste yet. Put about 3 tablespoons of the paste in a piping bad with Wilton # 3 pipe, and trace the Love patterns.
- When done tracing the LOVE letters, add leftover paste to the leftover paste and add color to it. Mix until there are no white streaks, and transfer mixture into a piping bag with tip. I used Wilton # 3
- Trace heart pattern. Freeze pattern until set, about 15 minutes. and now we can prepare our cake roll batter.
FOR THE CAKE ROLL:
- Pre heat oven at 350 F and put the wire rack at the middle of the oven.
- Add the coffee with the coconut milk and mix until the coffee granules are completely dissolve.
- Put egg yolks in a small bowl.
- Add in the sugar and mix. Add the cake flour. Mix
- Add the oil and coconut milk / coffee mixture and mix.
- Mix using a wire whisk until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
- Set aside.
FOR THE MERINGUE:
- Put egg whites in a stand mixer bowl and mix until frothy.
- Add the cream of tartar and mix. Add the sugar intermittently. 3 times and mix until stiff peaks.
- You can tell if it is stiff peaks, when meringue forms a horn when you pull the whisk upward.
PREPARING THE CHIFFON CAKE:
- When meringue is ready, scoop about a cup of meringue mixture and add it into the egg yolk mixture.
- Use a folding method in mixing. Using a spatula, scoop mixture then pull up until all of the mixture are incorporated. Do this gently, folding too hard will result in a hard chiffon cake.
- Add mixture into the rest of the meringue and mix again using the folding method.
- Transfer mixture into a NON GREASE 9.5 x 13 inches lined with the pattern and pour cake batter on top of the pattern, tap the pan in a flat surface to remove air bubbles.
- Bake at pre heated 350 F oven for 10-15 minutes. Start checking at 12 minutes using a toothpick test method.
- When chiffon cake is done, WORK ON ROLLING the cake. Try to scrape sides of the pan using a knife.
ROLLING THE CAKE:
- While the cake is hot, work on rolling it. I actually roll it 5 minutes after taking out from the oven.
- Put the PAN in a flat surface and GENEROUSLY sprinkle top of the cake with powdered sugar. This part is important, so that the cake will not stick on the cloth or parchment. Cover the cake with tea towel or parchment paper.Leave about 1 inch of the towel/parchment on one side and put a flat pan on top of the cake/towel. Flip the cake .You really need to be careful that the pan fits or the cake will not slide when you flip it. I have cake ruined and break doing this process.
- Remove the patterned parchment paper very gently, and then cover the top of the cake with parchment or towel topped with pan and flip it again. Very gently roll the cake with the tea towel/parchment . Roll it from the shorter (width side ) side of cake. This process will create a rolled formed muscle of the cake. Let the cake rest for about 30 minutes or an hour. Letting the cake rolled for a long time makes it soggy and flimsy.Then you can fill the cake.
- Let the cake cool for an about 40 minutes.
FILL THE CAKE:
- Put the cream cheese in standing mixing bowl and mix for about 1 minute. Add in the powder sugar. Start mixing in slow so that sugar will not fly everywhere .
- Add the heavy whipping cream and mix until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate cream if not using immediately.
WHEN THE CAKE IS READY TO FILL:
- Using a spatula, gently fill the cake and distribute cream on the cake. Leave about 1 inch of the cake not filled. Arrange the strawberry in one line and roll cake gently. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to eat. Enjoy!
- Print the pattern here. and
- Freeze any left over paste for next use.
- The size of the pan is 9.5 x 13 inches sheet pan. Going higher in size causes the pattern to not stick in the cake.
- Make sure the rack is in the middle of the oven.
- Don't force the cake to unroll. Sometimes, I just snuck the filling under the roll, as in the case of this cake.
- Fill only when the cake is cold.