Valentine Strawberry Swiss Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting- These recipe has been tested for your success. The cake is rolled and filled with cream cheese frosting and fresh strawberry. Gift this to your love ones this Valentines day.
Hey guys!! It is almost Valentines Day, and I am so excited to share with you this recipe today. When you look at the pictures, you might think that this is difficult to make; take heart, this cuty is very easy to make. And this recipe has been tested over and over so that you will not fail this in your first try. Below are some tips so that you succeed in making this cake. Mind you, I spent my Christmas vacation trying various recipesbut some of them don't make the pattern stick, some is so bland and MOST, it crack and fall apart while you are rolling it; but eventually settled for the Basic Chiffon Cake Recipe in the blog and I thought that this Chiffon Cake is the best recipe for swiss rolls, since they are flimsy enough and it did not crack compared to sponge cake I tested.Mind you, I spent my Christmas vacation trying to perfect this little goodie.
TIPS TO MAKE THESE CAKE ROLL:
- Use the right pan 9.5 x 13 inches sheet pan
- Follow the ingredients. I tried changing the coconut oil to canola and the coconut milk to regular milk and it made the cake really weak and it did not hold the pattern
- Don't grease you pan.
- For the pattern paste, don't melt the butter. Use a softened butter.
Please watch the videos below to guide you.
Valentine Strawberry Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting- These recipe has been tested for your success. Chiffon cake filled with cream cheese frosting and fresh strawberry.Gift this to your love ones this Valentines day.
FOR THE CAKE:
- 6 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 80 ml coconut oil
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 10 tablespoons cake flour
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoons, cream of tartar
- 11 tablespoons granulated sugar
- powdered sugar to spread generously on the cooked cake
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons granulate sugar
- 1/3 cup All purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- red strong color paste ( 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoons)
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 6 pieces strawberry with the stems removed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix egg white and granulated sugar until frothy. Add the butter and mix. Add in the flour and mix until mixture is smooth. Add the color paste and mix until there are no streaks.
- Transfer mixture into a piping bag with tip. I used Wilton #
- Trace pattern right on top of the template lined with parchment paper
- Freeze pattern until set and now we can prepare our cake roll batter.
FOR THE CAKE ROLL:
- Pre heat oven at 350 F and put the wire rack at the middle of the oven.
- Put egg yolks in a small bowl.
- Add in the sugar and mix.
- Add the oil and coconut milk and mix.
- Add the cake flour. Mix using a wire whisk until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
- Set aside.
FOR THE MERINGUE:
Put egg whites in a stand mixer bowl and mix until frothy.
Add the cream of tartar and mix. Add the sugar intermittently. 3 times and mix until stiff peaks.
You can tell if it is stiff peaks, when meringue forms a horn when you pull the whisk upward.
PREPARING THE CHIFFON CAKE:
When meringue is ready, scoop about a cup of meringue mixture and add it into the egg yolk mixture.
Use a folding method in mixing. Using a spatula, scoop mixture then pull up until all of the mixture are incorporated. Do this gently, folding too hard will result in a hard chiffon cake.
Add mixture into the rest of the meringue and mix again using the folding method.
Transfer mixture into a NON GREASE 9.5 x 13 inches lined with the pattern and pour cake batter on top of the pattern, tap the pan in a flat surface to remove air bubbles.
Bake at pre heated 350 F oven for 10-15 minutes. Start checking at 12 minutes using a toothpick test method.
When chiffon cake is done, WORK ON ROLLING the cake. Try to scrape sides of the pan using a knife.
ROLLING THE CAKE:
While the cake is hot, work on rolling it. I actually roll it 5 minutes after taking out from the oven.
Put the PAN in a flat surface and GENEROUSLY sprinkle top of the cake with powdered sugar. This part is important, so that the cake will not stick on the cloth or parchment. Cover the cake with tea towel or parchment paper. Leave about 1 inch of the towel/parchment on one side and put a flat pan on top of the cake/towel. Flip the cake .You really need to be careful that the pan fits or the cake will not slide when you flip it. I have cake ruined and break doing this process. 🙁
Remove the patterned parchment paper very gently, and then cover the top of the cake with parchment or towel topped with pan and flip it again. Very gently roll the cake with the tea towel/parchment . Roll it from the shorter (width side ) side of cake. This process will create a rolled formed muscle of the cake. Let the cake rest for about 30 minutes or an hour. Letting the cake rolled for a long time makes it soggy and flimsy.Then you can fill the cake.
Let the cake cool for an about 40 minutes.
FILL THE CAKE:
Put the cream cheese in standing mixing bowl and mix for about 1 minute. Add in the powder sugar. Start mixing in slow so that sugar will not fly everywhere 🙂 Add the heavy whipping cream and mix until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate cream if not using immediately.
WHEN THE CAKE IS READY TO FILL:
Using a spatula, gently fill the cake and distribute cream on the cake. Leave about 1 inch of the cake not filled. Arrange the strawberry in one line and roll cake gently. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to eat. Enjoy!
- Freeze any left over paste for next use.
- The size of the pan is 9.5 x 13 inches sheet pan. Going higher in size causes the pattern to not stick in the cake.
- Make sure the rack is in the middle of the oven.
- HERE IS THE PATTERN https://cleobuttera.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Medium-Heart-Pattern.pdf
- ANd here's another pattern https://theskinnypot.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Heart-dot.pdf