A simple Vietnamese Style Pickles you can make using Daikon Radish and Carrots pickled in salt sugar and vinegar. There’s no cooking needed.
If you’re a fan of Vietnamese food, then you might have come across their Vietnamese Pickles. You can add it with your Bahn Mi sandwiches, or you can add it as appetizer when you make this Filipino Style Tocino and Longanisa.For me, I even eat it for snacks.
Every time I go to a Vietnamese restaurant, I can’t get enough of this pickles,that I always ask for extra serving the waitress’ disdain. I thought since it is serve for free, why not ask for more; but I realize now that was very unethical to do, so I figured out a way to make my own. I am surprised how easy to make this.
Note that this is simple process pickles -not not the cooked ones. There’s cooking needed, no pickling salt needed here. You just need sugar, water, vinegar and a small amount of pepper and salt.
SIMPE PICKLES INGREDIENTS:
- Daikon radish
WHAT VINEGAR TO USE?
You can use apple cider vinegar, rice wine vinegar.
HOW TO MAKE SIMPLE PICKLES?
- Sterilize the bottle with boiling water.
- Using a Mandolin, I shred the Daikon radish and carrots.
- I sprinkle Kosher slat or any type of salt to let veggies sweat for an hour. I then squeeze the veggies and drain excess water from the carrots and radish and put into the sterilized container.
- Mix the water, sugar and vinegar in a medium sized sauce pan and let boil.
- Pour the boiled vinegar, sugar and water into the container and let sit until cold and put inside the fridge.
HOW LONG DOES THIS PICKLES LAST
- It will last for 1 month.
- You can freeze this too. Just put it in a ziploc, make sure the liquid is kept inside the ziploc and freeze.
- 1/2 cup Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb Daikon Radish shredded
- 1 lb Carrots shredded
- 1 cup kosher salt or any type of salt remove fluid
- Put container in a large pan and boil to sterilize.
- Wash, peel and shred carrots and Daikon radish using a mandolin. Place in a container and sprinkle with Kosher salt. Let sit for an hour, until excess fluid from the carrots and radish comes out.
- Rinse carrots and daikon with water 2 times and squeeze to drain excess fluid and put inside the sterilized container.
- Put water, sugar, vinegar in a medium sized sauce pan and boil until sugar are dissolved.
- While boiling, pour mixture in the container and let cool.
- Let cool uncovered
- When ready, cover and put in the fridge.
- The radish can sit in the fridge for 1 month.
- You can freeze it too.