Chicken Tocino Easy Recipe with Pineapple Juice. Filipino Fried rice is an amazing meal to share with friends and family but it is not complete without the delicious Chicken Tocino!
Chicken Tocino Easy Recipe with Pineapple Juice
Nothing says “delicious” like Chicken Tocino. It has the right levels of saltiness, sweetness, and fattiness to make it really sing. This tasty meat is great on its own but throws it into my signature Filipino Garlic Fried Rice and you have a perfect dish!
What is Chicken Tocino
This traditional Filipino food is a savory sensation. Chicken Tocino is a traditional form of cured chicken made in the Philippines. It is known for its vibrant red color and known for its garlicky, sweet, and savory flavor. It is used similarly to bacon as a meaty addition to fried rice or eggs. Some recipes don’t add pineapple juice to their tocino, but I have been adding pineapple to my recipe. It adds a subtle taste and a gentle, delicious pineapple taste in it, which I like.
When Chicken Tocino is used in Filipino fried rice the dish is called Sinangag and when it is served aside from fried eggs the dish is known as tosilog.
What You Will Love About This Chicken Tocino Easy Recipe with Pineapple Juice
- Party Pleaser-I love to serve my Filipino Garlic Fried Rice to a crowd and it simply would not be complete without this succulent chicken! Everyone loves warm garlic-infused fried rice but you can really pull out all the stops to serve your friends and family a truly beautiful dish with this tasty Pork Tocino.
- Moist and Magical-My recipe for Chicken Tocino is so juicy and flavorful that it will make your mouth water just to smell it! That rich flavor comes from the complex marinade used for this chicken. The marinade works magic to infuse juicy Filipino flavors and also to add irresistible cured flavor to the chicken, but the Instant Pot takes this over the top.
Using the air fryer attachment for the Instant Pot allows this marinated pork to fry without losing its flavor or moisture. The air fryer doesn’t use excess oil yet it gives the exterior of the pork that wonderful crunch flavor you expect from Pork Tocino.
- Simply Delicious-This Chicken Tocino is as easy as it gets. The hardest part of this recipe is having to smell the delicious marinade while you wait! The steps of this dish are basically marinade and cooking. It is that easy to have the best Chicken Tocino for your fried rice!
Chicken Tocino Ingredients with Pineapple Juice and vinegar
Pineapple Juice and Vinegar add acidity to the pork marinade. Many different varieties of vinegar exist and several will work very well in this pork. A classic for Asian-style marinades is rice-wine vinegar. It has a nice, mild sweetness that works well in many recipes. Some other great options are apple cider vinegar or easy-to-find white vinegar.
- Soy sauce-Soy sauce is the perfect way to infuse delightful fermented flavor and saltiness into so many dishes. If you are concerned with your salt intake, don’t worry, just opt for the low-sodium variety of this classic condiment.
- Brown Sugar-Brown sugar is an excellent ingredient for adding sweetness to marinades because it has the added flavor of molasses to bring some extra warmth. Either light or dark brown sugar will work for this recipe.
- Kosher Salt or Prague Powder-Prague powder is a unique pink ingredient used during meat processing and it can dramatically extend the shelf life of meat. Prague powder is composed of sodium nitrate and sodium chloride giving it awesome curing characteristics. Look for this pink powder online or in some grocery stores near the salts and other spices. If Prague powder is hard to find, a simple Kosher salt will work to season and cure the pork, but it will not impart any pretty pink color to the meat.
- Garlic-Minced cloves of garlic help add zest and tantalizing complexity to this marinade. Fresh garlic is great but so are frozen or refrigerated varieties of this botanical.
- Red Food Coloring-Red food coloring is an optional ingredient, but it gives the pork its signature irresistible hue. A very small amount is all you will need to make this pork pop with color!
- Pineapple Juice-Pineapple juice gives the marinade a bright and tangy sweetness.
- Chicken Thigh-Pork shoulder or picnic roast is the ideal cut for this recipe. To help the marinade penetrate deep into the meat the pork shoulder should be scored.
Chicken Tocino Tools and Utensils
If you are planning to cook this chicken in the Instant Pot you will need the air fryer attachment. If you do not have one do not worry! You can still have delicious Pork Tocino just follow the directions for stovetop prep instead.
How to Prepare Chicken Tocino
Make the Tocino Sauce (Marinade)
- Score the meat and place it in a large bowl. Add in all of the Homemade Tocino marinades and mix to coat the meat. Cover the bowl and marinate the meat for three days.
How to Cook the Chicken Tocino in the Instant Pot Air Fryer:
- Place the air fryer tray in the Instant Pot base. Spray with nonstick oil. Place the marinated pork and spray with nonstick oil. Cover using the Instant Pot lid.
- Set the temperature to 390°F and set the time to six to ten minutes. Turn the meat as required.
How to Cook the Chicken Tocino on the Stovetop:
- When ready, heat a small amount of cooking oil and fry the pork until cooked through. Drain excess oil in the paper towel and set aside.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Plan ahead- this recipe requires three days for marination, so plan to prep this on Tuesday for a Friday meal.
- If you are using this pork with fried rice, use the time it is in the air fryer to prepare the other garnishes, like eggs and tomatoes.
What to Serve with Pork Tocino?
Pork Tocino is perfect when paired with Filipino-style fried rice, Sinangag. That is not the only place this pork is delicious, though! Try this yummy pork for breakfast anytime with fried eggs or as a super interesting taco meat.
Refer to my Fried Rice Recipe to see how to put together a perfect fried rice board!
When to Enjoy Chicken Tocino?
This luscious pork dish is great at any time! My favorite thing about Pork Tocino is that it makes a beautiful addition to breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It is a great make-ahead meal to keep as your protein for the week’s meals or to pair with rice as the perfect party-pleasing rice dish!
Can I Store Leftover Chicken Tocino?
Yes, leftover Chicken Tocino can be stored in the refrigerator for up to five days in an airtight container. Cold Chicken Tocino makes a tasty, bite-sized snack, but it can be reheated easily just follow these steps:
Reheat on The Stovetop:
- Place a medium saucepan over medium-low heat on the stovetop. Add a drizzle of neutral oil or butter to the pan then add the desired amount of pork.
- Heat the pork flipping occasionally until fully reheated.
Reheat in the Microwave:
- Place the desired amount of pork in a microwave-safe container and cover loosely with a microwave-safe lid or paper towel.
- Heat in the microwave at standard settings for 1-2 minutes.
How do you freeze Uncooked Chicken Tocino Easy Recipe with Pineapple Juice
You can freeze Chicken Tocino, so you can cure a huge batch of them and freeze.
- Make the Tocino sauce and mix them together. Place the chicken in a bowl and add the Tocino marinade. Mix until the meat is well-coated.
- Place the meat in a Ziploc and put it in the freezer. Release the air out and freeze. You can freeze chicken Tocino for six months.
- Thaw in the fridge before cooking.
More Recipes You’ll Love
Everyone loves comfort food and I love cooking comforting dishes like fried rice with Pork Tocino for groups of friends. Food can open up so many doors and connect people from all backgrounds over a delicious plate.
If you want to try more tasty and comforting recipes for entertaining give these a shot:
- Instant Pot Pork and Shrimp Dumplings
- Breakfast Charcuterie Board
- Filipino Chicken Adobo (Just like Mother Made)
- Best Ever Sticky Slow-Cooked Asian Ribs
- Crockpot Cheese Broccoli Soup
Chicken Tocino Easy Recipe with Pineapple Juice
- 1 frying pan
- 1 Instant Pot Duo Crisp Plus Air fryer lid
- 1 Air Fryer Tray
- 1 Dehydrating tray
- 2 lbs chicken thigh, skin on
Tocino Sauce Ingredients (Marinade)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 6 fl oz pineapple juice
- 1 tsp red food color optional, but highly recommeded
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Slice the chicken thigh into bite-sized pieces- estimate will be two-inch length and thickness one inch. Place the chicken in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the marinade ingredients into the bowl and mix. Make sure that the is coated. Cover the bowl and marinate the chicken for three days.
How to Cook in the Air Fryer
- Place the inner pot into the Instant Pot base. Put the air fryer tray and put the dehydrating tray in place. Spray the tray with non-stick oil and put them in the chicken. Spray with non-stick oil and cover with the airy fryer lid.Push the bake setting button and set the temperature to 390 F. Set the timer to fifteen minutes.
Cook stove top
- Heat the oil in the frying pan. Drain excess marinade from the chicken and fry the chicken until cooked through. This will take about five minutes on both sides, or longer.