Bistek Tagalog is a Filipino version of beef steak. It has citrus flavor and a mixture of salty and sweet taste. It’s a cheap version of beef steak.
I was surprise that I have not posted Bistek Tagalog here in the blog since it is always in our menu rotation. It’s quick simple, delicious and cheap.
FOR MORE CHEAP AND EASY FILIPINO RECIPE:
WHAT IS BISTEK TAGALOG?
Bistek Tagalog is a different version of stew. It is marinated with lemon and soy sauce and it is then cooked in its marinade until soft. A large amount of onion is added in this meal to gave it more flavor. It is best eaten with rice with the sauce smothered on top.
HOW TO MAKE BISTEK TAGALOG
Marinate the meat with lemon, soy sauce, garlic and onion.
When ready, heat 4 tablespoon of cooking oil in a skillet and brown all sides of the meat.
Remove meat from the skillet and set aside.
Add more oil if needed, and saute’ garlic and onion.
Add the leftover marinade and boil.
When marinade is simmering, add the meat and cook until soft. NOTE THE THIS MEAT HAS BEEN PRE COOKED, once you’ve simmer the left over marinade and add the meat, just cook 2 minutes more and you are done.
WHAT CUT OF MEAT TO USE ?
I usually the pre cut beef meat in the store- the thinnest one.
SOLUTION FOR HARD AND CHEWY MEAT
As much as you can, try to cook the meat in less time. Use thin slices of meat and cook in high heat and remove immediately.
- 1 1/2 lbs beef sirloin thinly sliced beef eye round thinly slice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- juice of 1-piece lemon
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons mince garlic
- 3 pieces yellow onion sliced into rings
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix soy sauce, sugar, lemon juice.
- Use half of the mixture and marinate the beef. Add 1/2 of the garlic, and half of the onion. Mix until the meat is coated. Let sit for at least 4 hours or overnight for best results.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan and fry the beef until it changes its color. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan, saute' half of the sliced onion and garlic.
- Add the beef back in the pan and add the remaining marinade and water. Cover and let it cook for 20 more minutes, or until soft.
- Add salt and pepper and season according to your liking.