Instant Pot Carne Asada. Are you looking to elevate your cooking game with a mouthwatering Mexican dish? Say hello to Instant Pot Carne Asada! This quick and easy recipe will revolutionize how you make this traditional favorite in just a fraction of the time.
Benefits of Instant Pot Carne Asada
Time-saving advantages: Traditional cooking methods can be time-consuming, requiring hours of marination and slow cooking. With the Instant Pot, you can slash the cooking time dramatically, preparing a delicious meal in a fraction of the time.
Tender and flavorful results: The Instant Pot’s pressure-cooking function helps to infuse the marinade and spices deep into the meat, resulting in incredibly tender and flavorful Carne Asada. Every bite will be a burst of deliciousness!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Carne Asada
List of main ingredients
- Carne Asada Marinade– I posted the marinade a while back, and this is my go-to recipe.
- Meat– I highly recommend the flank steak, but you can use your favorite meat like chuck roast, chicken, and pork.
Optional ingredients for customization
To further customize your Instant Pot carne asada, you can incorporate optional ingredients to enhance the flavors and add variety to the dish. Remember to taste and adjust the flavors as you go along, adding the optional ingredients gradually to achieve your desired taste. These additional ingredients can help you tailor the Instant Pot carne asada to your preferences and create a truly personalized and flavorful dish.
- Chili peppers: Add some heat and depth of flavor by including chopped jalapeños, serranos, or chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Adjust the amount based on your spice preference.
- Spices and herbs: Experiment with additional spices and herbs to amplify the flavor profile. Add smoked paprika, coriander, oregano, cayenne pepper, or cinnamon to the marinade or cooking liquid.
- Citrus zest: For a vibrant citrusy twist, grate the zest of lime or orange and add it to the marinade or sprinkle it over the cooked carne asada before serving.
- Worcestershire sauce: Incorporate a splash of Worcestershire sauce to deepen the umami flavors of the meat and enhance its savory profile.
- Beer or tequila: Substitute a portion of the marinade liquid with beer or tequila for a unique twist. It infuses the meat with additional flavors and complexity.
- Pineapple juice: To infuse a hint of sweetness and tanginess, substitute some of the citrus juice in the marinade with pineapple juice. The acidity can help tenderize the meat while adding a tropical touch.
- Onions and peppers: Include sliced bell peppers, poblano peppers, or onions in the Instant Pot along with the meat to add texture, flavor, and a pop of color.
- Hot sauce: If you’re a fan of extra heat, drizzle your favorite hot sauce over the cooked carne asada or add it to the marinade for an extra kick.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Cooking Instant Pot Carne Asada
Marinate the meat
- Combine marinade ingredients and remove the one-third cup. Set it aside. Put the meat in a glass bowl. Pour the remaining marinade into the meat. Marinate the meat overnight in the fridge.
- When ready, brown the meat on all sides.
- Place the meat in the inner pot. Add the leftover marinade.
- Close the lid securely and push the pressure cooker button setting. Push the HI pressure setting and set the time to eighteen minutes.
Quick Release and Shred the meat
- Quick release: the cooking is done; immediately release and open the lid
- Remove the meat from the pot and shred.
To Broil or Not
- This is optional but you can broil the meat after cooking. This process will yield firm meat.
- Shred the meat and drain the liquid from the pan. Rinse the inner pot and place it again in the base. Put the air fryer basket and put the steaming tray. Cover the base with the air fryer lid and push the broil button. Set the temperature to 350 F and set the timer to five minutes.
Slice and serve
- Shred or Slice the carne asada against the grain into thin strips.
- Serve the Instant Pot carne asada in tacos, burritos, or as a main dish with rice and beans.
- Garnish with salsa, Guacamole, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.
Marinating tips for enhanced flavor
Marinating the meat before cooking can significantly enhance the flavor of Instant Pot carne asada. Here are some tips for marinating to achieve maximum flavor:
- Marinating time: Allow the meat to marinate overnight or for at least 30 minutes. The longer the marinating time, the more the flavors have to penetrate the heart and impart their deliciousness. Overnight marination is ideal for the most intense flavor.
- Acidic ingredients: Include acidic ingredients like lime juice and orange juice in the marinade. They help to tenderize the meat and infuse it with bright and tangy flavors. Be cautious not to marinate the beef in highly acidic marinades for too long, as it can break down the meat fibers excessively and make the texture mushy.
- Aromatics: Add cilantro, dried oregano leaves, and other aromatics like basil to the marinade. These ingredients contribute depth and savory notes to the meat. Consider including herbs like cilantro, oregano, or cumin powder for additional flavor complexity.
- Salt and seasonings: Season the marinade generously with salt and other spices and herbs like chili powder or your preferred spice blend.
- Proper marinating container: If you marinate the meat overnight, Use a glass dish, resealable plastic bag, or a non-reactive container to marinate the meat. Make sure that the marinate submerges the meat for ultimate taste.
- Ensure even coverage: Massage the marinade into the meat, ensuring that it coats all sides evenly. It helps to distribute the flavors and ensure that every bite is delicious. If using a bag, remove as much air as possible to ensure the marinade is in close contact with the meat.
- Refrigeration: Place the marinating meat in the refrigerator while it marinates. We leave the meat in the fridge while marinating, which prevents bacteria from growing.
- Flip and rotate: If marinating for an extended period, flip and rotate the meat occasionally to ensure all sides are marinated evenly.
Adjusting cooking time based on preferences
Test for doneness: If you need clarification on the doneness of the meat, you can use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. For medium-rare, aim for around 135-140°F (57-60°C), medium around 145°F (63°C), and well-done around 160°F (71°C).
- The thickness of the meat: the thicker the meat, the longer you pressure cook it, and vice versa.
- Desired doneness: The cooking time can be adjusted. Here’s a rough guideline for cooking times at high pressure:
For medium-rare: Cook the carne asada for 10-15 minutes per inch of thickness.
For medium: Cook the carne asada for 15-20 minutes per inch of thickness.
For well done: Cook the carne asada for around 20-25 minutes per inch of thickness.
Tips for Perfect Instant Pot Carne Asada
Following these marinating tips, you can infuse your Instant Pot carne asada with incredible flavor, resulting in a tender, juicy, and delicious dish.
- Choose the proper cut of meat: Carne asada traditionally uses flank or skirt steak. These cuts are flavorful and tender when properly cooked.
- Marinate the meat: Marinate the steak before cooking to enhance the flavor. I use a combination of lime juice and orange juice plus the spices. To have tasty meat, marinate the meat minimum of thirty minutes. Ideally, marinate the meat overnight.
- Sear the meat: This is optional. Because I was crunched of time, I did not sear the meat this time. Before pressure cooking, sear the beef on the sauté function of the Instant Pot. Heat a little oil in the pot and brown the meat to all sides.
- Add liquid and aromatics: Add some liquid to the Instant Pot after searing the meat. You can use beef broth, water, or a combination of broth and beer for added flavor. Also, add aromatics like onion, garlic, and bay leaves to infuse more flavor into the meat.
C. Safety precautions and reminders
Safety is paramount when using any kitchen appliance, including the Instant Pot. By following these safety precautions and reminders, you can enjoy a safe and delicious carne asada cooking experience.
When cooking carne asada in the Instant Pot, it’s essential to remember some safety precautions and reminders to ensure a safe cooking experience. Here are a few:
- Read the Instant Pot manual: Familiarize yourself with its user manual to understand its specific safety guidelines and operating instructions. Different models may have slightly different features and requirements.
- Check the sealing ring: Before using the Instant Pot, inspect it to ensure it’s clean, properly seated, and free from damage. A secure and functional sealing ring is crucial for maintaining pressure during cooking.
- Use the correct amount of liquid: Follow the recipe guidelines or refer to the Instant Pot manual for the recommended liquid amount. Insufficient fluid can result in undercooked or burned food and may cause safety issues.
- Don’t overfill: Avoid overfilling the Instant Pot beyond its recommended maximum capacity. Overfilling can lead to excessive pressure buildup and may result in food splattering, or it can block the valve. Leave enough space for the food and liquid to expand during cooking.
- Be cautious when releasing pressure: When the cooking is complete, exercise caution while releasing tension from the Instant Pot. You can use the natural pressure release (letting it release on its own) or the quick release method (using the pressure release valve). Follow the recipe instructions and be careful to avoid any steam burns. Use a long utensil or towel to operate the pressure release valve to keep your hands away from the steam.
- Use oven mitts or heat-resistant gloves: The Instant Pot and its inner pot get extremely hot during cooking. Always use oven mitts or heat-resistant gloves when handling the Instant Pot, removing the lid, or transferring the cooked food.
- Follow food safety guidelines: Ensure the meat is appropriately marinated and stored in the refrigerator at a safe temperature before cooking. Also, follow proper food handling and storage guidelines to prevent the risk of foodborne illnesses.
- Clean the Instant Pot properly: After cooking, make sure to clean the Instant Pot thoroughly.
Serving Suggestions and Accompaniments
When serving Instant Pot carne asada, you can consider various delicious options and accompaniments. Here are some serving suggestions to enhance your meal:
- Tacos: Serve the Instant Pot carne asada as a filling for soft or crispy tacos. Warm up tortillas, corn, or flour and spoon the sliced meat. Add your favorite toppings like diced onions, chopped cilantro, salsa, Guacamole, and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Burritos: Wrap the Instant Pot carne asada in large flour tortillas to make flavorful and filling burritos. Include rice, beans, cheese, lettuce, and other desired ingredients for a complete meal.
- Rice and beans: Serve the Instant Pot carne asada alongside Mexican rice and seasoned beans. Combining tender meat, flavorful rice, and savory beans creates a well-rounded and satisfying meal.
- Salad: Slice the Instant Pot carne asada and serve it with fresh greens, such as romaine lettuce or mixed greens. Add tomatoes, avocado slices, onions, and a tangy dressing for a delicious carne asada salad.
- Carne Asada Fries: this is so good! My local restaurant serves this; I now make it at home. I use my homemade Guacamole.
- Nachos: Transform the Instant Pot carne asada into a flavorful topping for nachos. Layer tortilla chips on a baking sheet, top it with shredded cheese, and broil until melted. Then top with the sliced meat, jalapeños, diced tomatoes, sour cream, and Guacamole.
- Quesadillas: Use the Instant Pot carne asada as a filling for cheesy quesadillas. Spread the sliced meat on a tortilla, sprinkle with shredded cheese, and fold in half. Cook in a skillet or griddle until golden and crispy on both sides. Serve with pineapple salsa, sour cream, and Guacamole.
- Mexican bowls: Create a hearty Mexican-inspired bowl by layering cooked rice, black beans, sliced Instant Pot carne asada, sautéed peppers, and onions; you can also add avocado, pico de Gallo, and sour cream.
- Side dishes: Consider serving Instant Pot carne asada with traditional Mexican side dishes like Mexican street corn, Mexican-style grilled vegetables, refried beans, or a refreshing side of sliced fresh fruits.
- Tortas: Make a delicious Mexican sandwich, a torta, using the Instant Pot carne asada as the main filling. Layer the sliced meat on a crusty roll, and add toppings like sliced avocado, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, and mayonnaise.
- Salsa and dips: Accompany Instant Pot carne asada with various salsas, such as salsa verde, pico de gallo, or homemade Guacamole. Serve alongside tortilla chips or as a topping for the meat.
Remember to adjust the accompaniments based on your personal preferences and dietary restrictions. Enjoy exploring these serving suggestions and let your taste buds guide you through creating a delicious meal with Instant Pot carne asada.
Frequently Asked Questions about Instant Pot Carne Asada
- What meat can I use?
While flank or skirt steak is traditionally used for Carne Asada, try experimenting with cuts such as sirloin or ribeye. Remember that different amounts may require slight adjustments in cooking time and yield slightly different results in terms of tenderness and flavor.
- How can I make Instant Pot Carne Asada spicier or milder?
To make the Carne Asada spicier, add chii powder or chili flakes. In my case, I add Thai chili to make the meat extra spicy.
- Can I cook frozen meat in the Instant Pot for Carne Asada?
Thaw the meat before cooking it in the Instant Pot for more even and consistent results. Cooking frozen meat in the Instant Pot may require longer cooking times and can affect the texture and taste of the final dish. I highly recommend that the meat is in the fridge before marinating and cooking.
- Can I double the quantity of Instant Pot Carne Asada?
Yes, you can double the recipe to accommodate a more extensive gathering or to have leftovers for future meals. Adjust the cooking time depending on the volume of meat you are cooking. If you are not particular about the doneness, use a cooking thermometer.
- Can I use the Instant Pot’s slow cooker function for Carne Asada?
Instant Pot Duo Crips have a slow cooking function, and I have not tried using them. Several comments in my FB group indicate that the Instant Pot Duo Crisp’s slow cooking function could be more reliable.
Instant Pot Carne Asada
- Instant Pot Duo Plus Air Fryer 8 Quart
- 1 bowl
- 2.5 lbs Chuck Pot Roast the thickness of this Chuck roast is 1 1/2 inches.
- 1/4 cup canola oil for frying
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice
- 1/2 cup Lime Juice
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Mix the marinade ingredients and remove one-third cup of the mixture. Set it aside in the fridge.
- Place the chuck roast into the glass or plastic bowl. Pour the leftover marinade and cover. Let the meat marinate overnight.
- When ready, drain the fluid and pat dry the meat using a paper towel.
Cook the Meat in the Instant Pot
- Place the inner pot in the IP base. Push the saute button setting and set the timer to thirty minutes. Wait for three minutes and add the oil.
- Brown the meat on all sides-five minutes on each side.
- Add in the marinade that was set aside. Cancel the sauté function.Cover the inner pot with the pressure cooker lid. Push the pressure cooker function. Set the pressure to HI. Set the timer to eighteen minutes. Push start. Quick release when done.