Chinese cuisine has rich flavors, vibrant colors, and the perfect harmony of ingredients. Among the countless Chinese dishes that have gained global popularity, the Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry stands out for its taste and simplicity.
You may also like my other egg recipes: Marinated Eggs (Mayak Eggs), Instant Pot Egg Drop Soup, Instant Pot Beets and Egg Pickles, Instant Pot Deviled Egg Potato Salad, and How to Cook Perfect Egg in the Instant Pot.
The Origins of Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry
Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry, or “Fan Qie Chao Dan” in Mandarin, is a traditional Chinese meal that is simple and affordable/ It hails from the Shandong province. it has since become a staple in Chinese households and restaurants worldwide. This dish’s humble beginnings testify to how simple ingredients create extraordinary flavors.
Why you will love it
Egg and tomato stir fry is a popular dish in many cuisines, and here are a few reasons why people love it:
- Flavorful Combination: . Eggs are creamy and savory, while tomatoes are slightly sweet and tangy. When cooked together, they make a harmonious taste.
- Quick and Easy: This dish is relatively easy and quick to prepare, making it a go-to choice for busy weeknight dinners. You can whip it up quickly, requiring only a few essential ingredients.
- Versatility: You can customize the stir fry by adding various ingredients such as onions, garlic, bell peppers, or some spices like paprika or chili flakes to suit your taste preferences.
- Comforting and Familiar: For many people, this dish holds sentimental value as it is often a comfort food from their childhood or a family favorite. Its simplicity and familiar taste can be comforting.
- Budget-Friendly: Eggs and tomatoes are affordable ingredients, making this dish an economical choice for those on a budget.
- Colorful and Appealing: The vibrant colors of the eggs and tomatoes make the stir fry visually appealing, and the presentation can be pretty attractive.
Ingredients Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry Recipe
What’s in my pantry
I got all of the ingredients on hand, so there is no need to have a grocery run.
- Green Onions (optional): Finely chop these for added flavor.
Step-by-Step Cooking Instructions Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry Recipe
To make a tasty Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry, you can follow these simple steps:
Preparing the Ingredients
- Start by washing and cutting fresh tomatoes into wedges. Add the beaten eggs to a medium-sized bowl and season according to your liking.
Sauteeing the Tomatoes
- Melt unsalted butter on low heat and cook the egg. Stir the eggs gently, ensuring they cook but remain slightly runny. Remove the egg from the pan and set it aside.
- Add oil to the same pan and saute’ the tomatoes until wilted, as shown below. Add the egg a
Combining Tomatoes and Eggs
- Combine the sautéed tomatoes with the scrambled eggs.
- If you opted for green onions and garlic, add them now.
- Stir everything together until well mixed.
- Stir everything together until well mixed. Serve with steamed rice for a complete and delicious meal.
Variations of Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry
While the classic recipe is delicious, there are numerous variations of Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry. Some people like to add bell peppers, tofu, or even ground pork to enhance the dish’s flavors. These variations can cater to different tastes and dietary preferences.
Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry is typically served with steamed rice, as the mild sweetness of the tomatoes complements the savory taste of the eggs perfectly. It’s a delightful combination that makes for a satisfying and complete meal.
Cooking Tips and Tricks
- Don’t overcook the eggs; they should remain slightly runny for the right texture.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
- Avoid using overripe tomatoes, as they can make the dish too watery.
- Don’t add too much sugar; a little goes a long way in enhancing the tomato’s natural sweetness.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry vegetarian-friendly?
- Yes, the basic recipe is vegetarian, but some variations may include meat or seafood.
Can I use canned tomatoes for this dish?
- While fresh tomatoes are preferred, canned tomatoes can be used if fresh ones are unavailable.
What other vegetables can I add to this stir fry?
- Bell peppers, mushrooms, and peas are popular choices.
Is this dish suitable for kids?
- Yes, it’s a kid-friendly dish loved for its mild flavors.
To store leftover egg and tomato stir fry, follow these steps:
- Cool Quickly: It’s important to cool it as soon as possible, ideally within 2 hours after cooking, to prevent bacterial growth.
- Portion Control: Divide the leftover stir fry into smaller, meal-sized portions. This makes it easier to store and reheat as needed.
- Airtight Container: Transfer the cooled stir fry into an airtight container.
- Label and Date: It’s a good practice. This helps you keep track of their freshness and ensures you can use them within a safe timeframe.
- Refrigeration: Place the airtight container in the refrigerator at or below 40°F (4°C). Store it away from the refrigerator door to avoid temperature fluctuations.
- Consume Promptly: Leftover egg and tomato stir fry
Remember to inspect the leftovers for any signs of spoilage, such as unusual odors, off-putting textures, or visible mold, before consuming. If you have any doubts about the safety or quality of the leftovers, it’s best to discard them. Proper storage and reheating practices help maintain the flavor and safety of your egg and tomato stir fry.
Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry Recipe
- 1 medium size pan
- 1 spatula
- 5 large eggs
- 1 large tomato
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Ground White or Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 stalk Green onion,optional
- Wash the tomato to remove the soil or gunk. Pst it dry and cut the tomato into wedges. Set it aside.
- Crack the eggs in a large bowl and season with salt, pepper, onion, and garlic powder. Season the egg according to your liking.
- Melt olive oil or butter in a pan and cook the egg. Remove the egg from the pan, and using the same pan, saute the tomato until soft. Add the green onion, if using, and the cooked egg into the pan. Gently mix the egg and tomato. REmov from the pan and serve with rice. Garnish with green onion.