Mayak Eggs or Marinated Egg. If you are craving a new way to make eggs that tastes so good it could be illegal, these Mayak Eggs are for you! This deliciously simple recipe will have you eating Korean street food in your home kitchen!
Mayak Eggs are a Korean classic that features salty, sweet, and savory flavors that will drive you wild! These amazing eggs are great with virtually everything, from salads to noodles, to rice dishes, and more anything you can imagine eating these eggs can bring a delicious pop to!
What are Mayak Eggs?
“Mayak” actually means narcotics or drugs in Korean, and this colorful name is a nod to how addictive these eggs are! No need to worry, these eggs have nothing illicit to hide, just tons of delicious flavor!
Mayak eggs are a Korean classic of marinated eggs. This classic dish combines the rich and fatty flavors of eggs with the rich and salty flavors of soy sauce, garlic, and ginger. This delicious snack is great with rice, pork, noodles, salads, and so much more!
What Makes Mayak Eggs so Great!?
This savory bite is one you will not forget! With notes of delicious ginger, garlic, onion, and soy sauce these eggs will leave you wanting more! This awesome ingredient works with so many dishes or on its own which is great because you will want to eat a dozen!
Their punchy flavor appeals to everyone and they can be enjoyed by practically everyone! They are vegetarian-friendly and gluten-free, and the recipe includes both stovetop and Instant Pot variations so everyone can prepare it. This truly is the most irresistibly easy and delicious snack or add-in!
Simple and Versatile!
This recipe is so easy to execute! With options to boil your eggs in the Instant Pot or on the stove, this recipe could not be any easier! It only uses a few common ingredients and hardly takes any time! It’s an easy breezy recipe for an ingredient that can be used virtually anywhere!
My recipe gives you the steps to marinate eggs that can be used in any way you imagine for days after preparing, making this the perfect recipe to try out on a weekend and then enjoy throughout the week!
Street Food-Inspired Snack!
The best foods take you to a whole different place with their sensational flavors. Mayak Eggs do that with their decadent savory flavors. This treat will make you feel like you’ve been transported to the streets of Seoul.
This recipe is inspired by street food, but can be turned into anything you can imagine! Anywhere you would add an egg you can try this delicious favorite instead making this so much more than just street food! Mayak eggs bring a ton of fun flavor to any meal and they will make you feel like you’ve taken a vacation!
Ingredients for Mayak Eggs
- Eggs-Eggs are the centerpiece of this whole recipe. Start with fresh large eggs to make a delicious base for this recipe.
- Garlic-Fresh cloves of garlic bring a wonderful savory bite to the marinade in the recipe. Choose fresh minced cloves or opt for a jarred or frozen version for the best flavor.
- Chili Pepper-Diced chili peppers bring a welcome heat to the marinade. Choose an easy-to-find dried chili like Arbol or Ancho to bring the spice!
- Green Onion-Green onion has the right balance of sweet and spicy onion flavors to make this marinade interesting! Choose a fresh and bright green, unblemished stalk.
- Red Onion-Red onion is full of strong onion flavor which makes it just right for mixing into marinades.
- White Sesame Seeds-Sesame seeds bring a great toasty flavor to the recipe.
- Brown Sugar-All the savory flavors in these delectable eggs need balance, and brown sugar is just the thing to bring that balance. Light brown sugar is a great choice for this recipe.
- Sesame Oil-Sesame oil brings a great toasty and nutty flavor to the marinade. Choose your favorite brand.
- Soy Sauce-Soy sauce is the key to the wonderful savory, salty, and mildly funky flavor of this delicious snack. Choose your favorite and if you are watching your salt intake opt for a low-sodium variety.
- Water-A little water helps thin out the marinade and centers the salty flavor of the soy sauce.
Mix the Marinade:
- In a large bowl, mix all of the marinade ingredients. Set aside.
Cook the Eggs:
- Cook the egg in the Instant Pot. Please see the notes. And here is my post on how to cook in the Instant Pot.
- Cook the eggs on the stovetop: Boil a pot of water on medium heat. Gently add the eggs and cook for eight minutes. When ready, remove the eggs from the pot using a slotted spoon and transfer the eggs immediately to a bowl filled with iced water. Let the egg sit for ten minutes. Peel the eggs.
Marinate the Eggs:
- Place the egg in a food storage container and pour in the marinade to cover the eggs evenly. 2. Cover the food storage container and let it sit in the fridge for twenty-four hours. Enjoy!
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Have an ice bath ready for when the eggs are done to quickly stop the cooking.
- Mix the marinade while the eggs cook.
- If you’re having trouble starting the egg peel, roll it on the counter.
- Store the eggs in the refrigerator to extend their shelf life.
What to Serve with Mayak Eggs?
These scrumptious eggs taste great with virtually everything! They can liven up a salad or bring excitement to rice. Try my delicious take on Pork Chashu using these rich eggs. Any recipe you add Mayak Eggs to will be filled with so much lively flavor!
How to Store Mayak Eggs
This delectable recipe lays out the steps to marinate the eggs for storage. Be sure to keep the lid tight on their container and store them in the fridge. After the first 24 hours of marinating, these amazing eggs can be kept from 4 to 7 days. They’re best when they are freshest, so before the end of 4 days.
Are Mayak Eggs Healthy?
Mayak eggs are a snack or add-in that should be enjoyed in moderation. Eggs are naturally high in cholesterol and soy sauce is very high in sodium, this means these eggs are not very heart-healthy. Enjoying this protein-packed treat once in a while is no big deal, but balance it with healthy fruits, vegetables, grains, and plenty of water!
More Recipes You’ll Love
If you’re looking for some delicious pairings for these eggs try some of my other tasty and easy recipes!
Easy Green Vermicelli Noodle Salad
Udon Noodle Vegetable Stir-Fry
Quick Instant Pot Pho Broth Recipe (Authentic)
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 5 pieces chili pepper diced
- 1 stem green onion chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 150 ml soy sauce
- 250 ml water
- In a large bowl, mix all of the marinade ingredients. Set aside. This is a large batch of marinade. Cut the ratio of the ingredients into half if you are making a small amount.
- Cook the egg in the Instant Pot.Please see notes.Cook the eggs stove top:Boil a pot of water in medium heat. Gently add the eggs and cook for eight minutes. When ready, remove the eggs from the pot using a slotted spoon and transfer the eggs immediately to a bowl filled with iced water. Let the egg sit for ten minutes. Peel the eggs.
- Place the egg in a food storage container and pour in the marinade to cover the eggs evenly. Cover the food storage container and let it sit in the fridge for twenty-four hours. Enjoy!
Shobelyn Dayrit says
Roberto Jordan says
Saw this one during our Church Anniversary, will definitely try it for sure and Thanks for sharing.