CRISPY BANANA AND LANGKA TURON RECIPE .Crispy and sweet Turon filled with Langka (jackfruit) and banana. Coated with caramelized brown sugar.
FOR MORE DEEP FRIED FILIPINO SNACKS :Pinterest , Filipino Twisted Doughnut (Shakoy) , Buchi (Filipino Doughnut Balls with Mung Beans Filling.
Hello, guys! It’s Wednesday today, but I am just dropping by to share this super famous Filipino snacks – CRISPY BANANA AND LANGKA TURON RECIPE. I know, it’s deep fried again, but really… this is really delicious. It is crispy and sweet and fried. As what I said In my Buchi (Filipino Doughnut Balls with Mung Beans Filling. post, EVERYTHING DEEP FRIED IS SOOO GOOD. Talk about breaking your diet pact.
OK. Don’t kill me just yet. I am conscious with my health too; and I am trying to diet just like everybody else…but I don’t cook Turon every single day of my weekdays. Because I don’t have the luxury of (banana use for Turon) availability. have to drive 4 hours to get Saba.I only make this-maybe once a year and I think you should do the same. But if you live close to Asian store that sells Saba, I think you will need an extra power and dose of self control. So goodluck.
WHAT ARE TURON INGREDIENTS:
Table of Contents
Ingredients for Turon are really simple. You just need those three ingredients below, but for me here who lives in Central Oregon, I have to drive hours to get the ingredients ::
Saba or plantains
CAN I USE REGULAR BANANA FOR TURON?
Yes you can use regular banana for filling, but eventhough it was delicious, it got very mushy; so I still recommend Plantains and Saba for solid Turon.
HOW TO MAKE TURON CRISPY?
Surprisingly, this Turon stayed crispy for 3 days. Deep frying it made it crisp for days and instead of cutting the wrapper, I used one whole wrapper for each Turon.
WHAT KIND OF LUMPIA WRAPPER TO USE?
Menlo and Filipino Lumpia wrapper which you can find in the frozen section of Asian stores is perfect for this. Wonton wrapper will work BUT it is soggy and not crispy; so I don’t use them.
CAN I COOK TURON IN THE AIR FRYER?
I have not tried it, so I cannot vouch about it 🙁
CRISPY BANANA AND LANGKA TURON RECIPE
- 8 pieces Saba
- 1 can Jack fruit in syrup drained and cut into strips
- Dark Brown Sugar
- 2-3 cups cooking oil
- 8 pieces lumpia wrapper
CARAMEL SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Peel bananas and cut them in half lengthwise.
- Place banana on the middle of the lumpia wrapper and add the jack fruit close to the banana. Just similar on wrapping a burrito.
- Fold both sides of the wrapper (left and right)
- Fold the middle and roll wrapper once then brush the edge with water.
- Continue folding and seal. Do the same to the rest of the bananas and jack fruit.
- Heat 1 cup of oil and put in dark brown sugar. Wait until the sugar is melted and fry until the wrapper turn golden brown and sugar coats the wrapper. Fry the rest of the ingredients.
HOW TO MAKE THE SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE
- In a medium size sauce pan, heat the sugar and mix constantly using a wooden spoon or a heat resistant spatula.
- Stir constantly until the sugar turn into a golden color or brownish color. Be careful not to burn the sugar.
- Once the sugar is completely melted, add in the butter immediately and make sure that mixture will not turn into clumps. If it does, remove the pan from the heat and gently but quickly stir to combine the mixture again.
- This may take a few minutes, but if you continue whisking they will combine again.
- If the mixture has combine, add the heavy cream slowly. After the cream has been added, stop stirring and let the sauce boil for 1 more minute. Since the cream is colder than the caramel, the mixture will rise higher to the pan, so be careful not to get burned.
- Turn off the heat and add the salt. Mix and let cool.
- Store the sauce in an airtight container.
Hi, my name is Shobee. Welcome to The Skinny Pot, where we cook Easy Recipes from the available ingredients from our pantry and fridge! We’re your go-to source for simple and delicious recipes that make the most of what you already have at home. Talk about the pantry challenge. Read more...