This Filipino style doughnut has been called different names in the Philippines; but in Cebu, we call it Shakoy. This is my favorite snack after school and it’s sold in sidewalk stalls in my neighborhood. I learned to make it when I came here in the USA twenty years ago, and is now a favorite of my children.
WHAT IS TWISTED DOUGHNUTS?
Hey guys!! Today, I am sharing this Twisted Doughnut recipe . I am very excited to share this recipe with you, because this deep fried doughnut is one of my favorite desserts. Although I said that about my Brazo De Mercedes too.
After reading this post today, you will be able to make this super famous Filipino snack called Twisted doughnut. In Luzon they call it Pilipit which means twist. In the Visayan region, we call this Shakoy.I don’t know why they called this Shakoy ’cause I don’t even know what that means. But let’s live with it and just munch it lol …And for the sake of my love of Korean soaps, they call this Twisted Donut snack Kkwabaegi in Korea,
HOW DO YOU MAKE THIS FILIPINO TWISTED DOUGHNUTS?
- Prepare the ingredients ahead of time, so that you will not be scrambling around looking for the ingredients once you start kneading.
- Read the recipe instructions several times.
- Prepare the equipment needed. For me, I usually forget the cling wrap.
- Watch the video on how to twist the doughnut
WHAT ARE THE EQUIPMENT TO MAKE TWISTED DOUGHNUT?
- Bread Machine. Yes, you use a bread machine when you make your Twisted Doughnuts. Just follow the instructions of the bread machine and have it do the hard work of kneading the dough for you.
- When making Twsited doughnut, you can just use your hand to knead. As you can see in the video, kneading this is very easy to do.
- You can use the electric mixer.
TWISTED DOUGHNUT INGREDIENTS:
- Active dry yeast – remember, there are too type of yeast: Instant and Active. We will use active dry yeast. The difference between the two is that in Active dry yeast, the yeast is dissolve in water, but with instant, you mix it directly with the flour. SO be careful what you get.
- Granulated sugar
- Milk- I used evaporated milk
TIPS ON MAKING THIS FILIPINO TWISTED DOUGHNUTS:
- Make sure the liquid ingredient is not hot. Just warm.
- Ingredients should be in room temperature.
- Practice twisting. Start at the middle of the dough. Roll dough to about 12 inch long. And twist in 4
- Your oil should be hot- 350 F then turn it to medium heat.
- Coat doughnuts with sugar while they are hot.
CAN I FREEZE TWISTED DOUGHNUT
- Yes you can freeze the Shakoy after you form the dough. After shaping the dough, just line them in a flat pan and freeze. When they are frozen and hard, transfer them in a Zip loc.
Making Twisted doughnuts is very easy to make. You just need to follow the instructions below and you will have a yummy and delicious Home Twisted Doughnuts. I also suggest watching the video below for surefire success.
SHAKOY TWISTED DOUGHNUT
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 packet active yeast 2 1/4 teaspoons
- 3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk room temperature ( I prefer evaporated milk)
- 1 large egg room temp
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- canola oil for frying
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar inside a brown paper bag for coating
- Put flour in a large size bowl and mix using a wire whisk and set aside.
- In medium heat, melt the butter in a small sauce pan. When butter is melted, add milk then remove from heat. Add egg , sugar and salt and mix until dissolve. and mix completely then add the yeast. Let yeast sit for 5 minutes. You will see bubbles.
- Pour mixture into the flour and mix with a wooden spoon or a spatula. Mix and then use your hand until smooth and form into a round ball and cover with a plastic wrap. Let dough sit in a warm place for an hour until it double its size.
- After an hour, punch the dough to deflate air and knead until smooth. Cover again and let it sit again in a warm place for another 30 minutes.
ROLLING THE TWISTED DOUGHNUTS:
- Uncover the dough and knead for a few minutes and form into a ball. Divide the ball into 2 then divide equally into 16 pieces.
- Take a piece of dough and starting in the middle, roll the dough into a string form. When rolling dough, roll the other upward and the other hand downward to form a tension. Pick up dough and twist. MAKE SURE TO SEAL THE END, SO THAT DOUGH WILL NOT UNTANGLE WHEN FRYING.
- Let the twisted dough expand for another 20 minutes and roll to the other side and let sit for another 10 minutes.
FRYING THE TWISTED DOUGHNUTS:
- Heat a large amount of oil in a deep skillet setting it 350 F and lower heat to medium, to get that crisp outside and soft inside shakoy. Fry doughnut until golden brown each side.
- Put about 3-4 doughnuts as they expand.
- Strain the cook doughnut and put them in a brown paper with sugar and shake so that doughnuts is coated with sugar. Do this while doughnuts are still hot.
FREEZING TWISTED DOUGHNUT:
- Line the twisted dough in a flat pan and freeze them. When dough are hard, transfer them in a zip loc and freeze until you are ready to cook them. Thaw dough until soft before frying.