This Spaghetti sauce I am sharing with you today is the Filipino way of making our spaghetti sauce. It is set apart from the usual Italian sauce because it is sweet and we, Filipinos add a lot of hot dogs in it. My kids love this sauce so much and I hope you will try it and enjoy this Filipino Style Spaghetti Sauce.
The maingoal of this post today is for you to try a different type of spaghetti sauce and to take you into a newer adventure in terms of making tomato sauce. If you have lived here in the US all your life, you might be inclined to the Italian style sauce which I find simple and sour. For me, Italian sauce is not really my type of spaghetti sauce because it does not make my taste buds soar with excitement…it is just sour and bland from the tomato sauce and the smell stings from the cheese.
But today my friends, I am introducing you to a spaghetti sauce that is full of flavor: sweet from the banana ketchup, salted from the hot dogs yet neutralized by the tomato sauce. And if you fancy it, the cheese does make this spaghetti sauce distinctive…salt,sweet and sour combo. I know some of you do not prefer a sweeter type of sauce but try making this to be more adventurous and audacious. Whether you will like it or not, at least you have journeyed into our Filipino cuisine and you ‘ll have something to talk about your Filipino friends or your friends in general.
But you know what, I am convinced that you will love this sauce. I really do believe that just like how my kids adore this sauce, you will be hooked with it too.When I prepare this meal, they just inhale it and I am guessing you will too…
THAT SPAGHETTI SAUCE SHINE,DON’T YOU JUST WANT TO TRY IT?
First, the shine of that sauce. It is the mixture tomato sauce and banana ketchup. The banana ketchup particularly Juffran or UFC Banana Ketchup which are sold in Asian stores and you can also buy it in Amazon. It has sweet flavors in it. Second, the mixture of the ground pork with the hot dogs. You can use Vienna Sausage in this if you do not have the Filipino Style hot dogs. And there is protein in it too from the ground pork. They are mixed together to make the Spaghetti Sauce’s savory flavor. As my kids describe it, “It is heavenly, similar to Jollibee!”
Filipino Style Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 1/2- 2 lbs ground pork or beef
- 5-7 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion minced/chopped
- 20 pcs hotdog sliced diagonally
- 32 oz spaghetti sauce I use Hunts brand- Four Cheese
- 1 small can 6 oz tomato paste
- 4 small bottles of banana ketchup I use UFC tamis anghang banana ketchup or Juffran
- 2 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 5 tbsp sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- grated cheese
- Heat the cooking oil and in the garlic and saute' for a minute. Add in the onion and saute' until transparent. Add the ground beef and cook through ( you can tell if it is not pink any more.Add the fish sauce and hot dog. Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste,ketchup and sugar. Cook for a few minutes until sauce is thick.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with the spaghetti topped with the cheese