This Window Cathedral dessert will remind you of home. The creaminess, the jiggly sweetness and the colorful jelly bring back memories of laughter, Noche Buena and the hardcore partying-Filipino style.
This dessert will make your Holiday feast more colorful and festive. This is famous for Noche Buena as holiday dessert. It is really delicious. It is really simple to make too.
Now is the time of the year to stop from any diet and indulge with delicious desserts. And this Cathedral Window is one of those happy indulgence you can make for the Holidays. This will be a perfect colorful centerpiece for Noche Buena together with this 10 Filipino Dessert for Noche Buena. I remember this Cathedral Window as “star” – garnering the amazement of guests.
Although with the current pandemic situation we have right now, we might not be having guest at home, but I will not allow Corona rain on my parade and not celebrate Christmas traditions. I will still make this Embutido and Leche Flan and bake this Yule Log Cake.
So, let’s make this too.
HOW TO MAKE CATHEDRAL WINDOW?
- Decide how many flavors of gelatin you want.
- For me, I have 4 flavors: strawberry, orange, berry blue and lime
- Prepare 4 small rectangular containers.
- Put jello powder in the prepared pan
- Add boiling hot water and mix until powder is dissolve.
- Cover container and put in the fridge overnight.
- When the jello flavor have set in, cut into chunks and set aside, then prepare the NO FLAVOR GELATIN.
- In a large bowl, sprinkle 3 packets of unflavored gelatin
- Pour in 1 cup of cold water and let sit for 1 minute
- Add in 2 cups of boiling water and stir constantly until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Add 1 can condensed milk and evaporated milk, pineapple juice and sugar.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour mixture into the mold with the sliced colored jello.
TIPS TO MAKE CATHEDRAL WINDOW
- Make the jello chunks bigger.
- Let it sit for 48 hours to make sure that the gelatin have formed and molded
- Using your hand, try to unstick the Cathedral window.
HOW DO I KNOW IF MY THE KNOX GELATIN IS DISSOLVED?
- It is very important that the gelatin is dissolve because undissolved gelatin cause hard chunks in your dessert. To make sure it’s dissolve, make sure you pour in boiling water.
- Mix using a spatula and gently stir mixture. You can use a whisk, but make sure that mixture will not splatter on the side.
- Check if there’s no more granules. You can actually see the granules if they are still present. You can feel the mixture too in between your thumb and index finger.
HOW TO UNMOULD GELATIN?
- Dip mold into warm water for about 5 seconds.
- Carefully loosen the mixture by running your fingers on the sides.
- Place the serving dish on top, flip over and holding firmly, shake the mold gently until the gelatin slips out from the mold onto the dish.
Window CathedralThis Window Cathedral dessert will remind you of home. The creaminess, the jiggly sweetness and the colorful jelly bring back memories of laughter and Noche Buena and the hardcore partying , Filipino style.
- 1 pack 3 oz strawberry jello flavor
- 1 pack 3 oz orange jello flavor
- 1 pack 3 oz lime jello flavor
- 1 pack 3 oz berry blue flavor
- 3 sachet of unflavored Knox gelatin
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- Arrange 4 containers in a flat surface. Use a small size container so that the jello chunks will be thicker
- Pour each jello flavor in each container and add 1 cup boiling water in each. Mix until jello and water are well incorporated.
- Cover container and refrigerate the jello overnight, or about 24 hours.
- When the gelatin is hardened run a knife into it and cut into chunks. Set aside.
- Pour the Knox gelatin in the container. Pour in 1 cup of cold water into it and let sit for 1 minute.
- Add in 2 cups of boiling hot water and mix until no more lumps.
- Add in granulated sugar, condensed milk, evaporated milk, pineapple juice and heavy whipping cream.
- Pour chunks of gelatin in the mould and pour the Knox mixture. Put the jello chunks. Add the small amount of the green, red, blue and orange, then pour the a third of the Knox mixture. Repeat this process.
- Refrigerate cathedral window until set.
- Refrigerate for 3 days to be certain.
- When ready, run our finger on the side and middle of the mold to unstick .
- Serve cold.
NotesVERY IMPORTANT: To easily remove, wrap pan with warm towel and run your finger at the sides of the gelatin to lossen.