Recipe for General Tso Sauce. Uncomplicated, mouthwatering, luscious General Tso Sauce made at home. Made only of simple ingredients, No Hoisin Sauce is Added. Better than take-out and perfect for any chicken cut of your choice.
Recipe for General Tso Sauce
I want to make sauce from scratch because you can customize the ingredients however you like it. For instance, this recipe for General Tso Sauce. I skipped the Hoisin sauce and replaced the sriracha with sweet chili sauce because I tailored the ingredients on whatever is in my pantry – while achieving the taste I was accustomed to from take-out places.
If you love take-out, you can make it now. This Recipe for General Tso Sauce is simple to prepare and make. Smother it on your fried chicken or grilled salmon, or your fried breaded chicken.
General Tso is one of my favorite take-out meals. But sometimes, buying it can be a bit constraining on your taste preference because you can’t adjust the taste of the sauce. Sometimes it can be too sweet or too sour for my liking.
Nowadays, most of the sauce is already bottled and sold in stores. The other day, I bought a sauce for Poke and that one goes by fast and it was not cheap. I also noticed that General Tso Sauce is sold and bottled now too. Sure, you can buy it quickly, but sometimes the taste is not consistent with our preference. The sauce can be super spicy or sour and you can’t do anything about it.
So I am a big advocate of making your sauce at home.
I made this sauce for you. Adjust the spice, the tang, and the sweetness and customize it to your preference. Triple the recipe and store it in the freezer. Make as much as you want, since it freezes well.
General Tso Sauce Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- What does General Tso Taste
It is a melded flavor of sweet from the sugar, with heat from the spicy-sweet chili sauce and tangs from the vinegar.
- Ingredient Substitute:
- Note that if you change the ingredient, it can change the taste of the sauce. Substitute rice vinegar with white distilled vinegar, but start with less vinegar and check the sourness.
- Substitute the Sweet Chili Sauce with Sriracha and it will be spicier.
How is it Made
In a medium-size bowl, add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sweet chili sauce, garlic, ginger, sugar, and the slurry. Mix until well incorporated.
Put the mixture in a small saucepan and let simmer in medium heat until thick and creamy.
When done, let cool and transfer in a container and freeze, or store in the fridge for 1 week.
- When the sauce is done, let cool and store in the container, and freeze. It will store in the fridge for 1 week.
For more Homemade Sauce Recipe:
Recipe for General Tso Sauce
Make the Sauce
ADD FOR LATER
- 2 stems green onion
- 10 pieces dried chili
Mix the Sauce
- In the medium size bowl, add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sweet chili sauce, garlic, ginger, sugar and the slurry. Mix until well incorporated.
- Put mixture in a small saucepan and let simmer in a medium heat until thick and creamy.
- When done, let cool and transfer in a container and freeze, or store in the fridge for 1 week.
Hi, my name is Shobee. Welcome to The Skinny Pot, where we cook Easy Recipes from the available ingredients from our pantry and fridge! We’re your go-to source for simple and delicious recipes that make the most of what you already have at home. Talk about the pantry challenge. Read more...