This Sweet Chili Sauce recipe is easy and it uses simple ingredients. You can make a huge batch and store it in the fridge for two months. It is easily made with these instructions.
What is Sweet Chili Sauce
This is a versatile condiment perfect for dipping and coating your favorite fried food. It uses simple ingredients that can be easily found in the groceries or they could be already in your pantry. This sauce is spicy and sweet at the same time. Let me show you how to make it.
- Prepare the ingredients- prepping your ingredients makes your cooking less stressful, so I highly recommend doing this. Prepare the spices and wash them. Chop the garlic and slice the red bell pepper and transfer into a food processor plus the portion of the water. Pulse once or twice. Make sure not to blend the ingredients. You want to taste the spices.
- Transfer the ingredients into a saucepan and add the remaining water, vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- Let the mixture boil.
- Meanwhile, mix the water and cornstarch to make a slurry. Add into the mixture and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Transfer the mixture to a sterilized container and store it in the fridge for two months.
What to serve it With?
- You want this sauce to coat the food well, so you want it to be thick, so make a slurry by mixing three tablespoons of cornstarch with three tablespoons of water.
Make just enough!
- This Sweet Chili Sauce tends to curdle when stored in the fridge, reheat it in a small saucepan. I highly recommend that you divide the ingredients to get a smaller serving.
Don’t blend the Ingredients!
- You want to taste and feel the spices in your mouth, so just pulse the spices twice.
Make it Spicy!
- Add more chili if you want. I can only handle three chilis.
Sterilize the Container!
- I highly recommend that you sterilize the container before storing the sauce in it. Simply put your glass container into a large pot boiled and add ten cups of water. Let the water boil. Remove the container from the pot and let it cool. Transfer the chili sauce.
How do you Store Sweet Chili Sauce?
Let the Sweet Chili Sauce cool down and transfer it into a container. Store it in the fridge and this will last for two months. This mixture tends to curdle when cold, so go ahead and reheat it in a small saucepan.
For more Sauce Recipes
- Bangbang Sauce
- Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
- Peanut Sauce
- Orange Chicken Sauce
- Tonkatsu Sauce
- Homemade Fishball Sauce Recipe
- General Tso Sauce
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Filipino Style BBQ sauce
What is Sweet Chili Sauce Substitute?
You can sub this sauce with Sriracha or any of your sauces depending on what food.
How long do I store it?
I store mine in the fridge for two months. However, if you find some dark or unwanted-looking mold or if the smell changes, do not hesitate to toss it.
I don’t have a food processor or a chopper
You can simply chop the red onion and the pepper and you can mince the garlic.
Sweet Chili Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper finely chopped
- 2 pieces red chili pepper finely chopped
- 1 small onion minced
- 7 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 tbsps cornstarch diluted with three tablespoons water
- 3 tbsp water
- Remove the seed from the red bell pepper. Set aside.
- Peel the onions and chop them into small pieces.
- Mince the garlic and set aside.
- Place the red bell pepper, red chilis, garlic, and two cups of water into the electric chopper. Pulse one to two times. You don't want to blend spices.
- Transfer the ingredients to a medium size pan and add the half cup remaining water and add the vinegar. Add the sugar and the salt. Turn the heat to medium. Mix until the sugar is dissolved. Let it boil
- Meanwhile, mix the cornstarch and the water until smooth. Once the prepared mixture above boils, add the slurry and turn the heat to low until the mixture has a thick consistency.
- Let the mixture cool down and transfer it to a container. This sauce tends to curdle, so you can reheat it in low heat for a few minutes to regain its smooth consistency.