Chocolate Brownies From Scratch. Brownies may just be the perfect treat. From their cakey to fudge-like texture to their luxurious chocolate flavor there is so much to love about this chocolate dessert. Treat yourself to something sweet with this amazing recipe!
Chocolate Brownie From Scratch
Why This Recipe Works
- Pride in the Work- This may sound silly, but there is something so satisfying about being able to make brownies on your own without a box! You can taste the hard work in every bite of these delectable brownies, and they taste so much better than a box!
- Fudgy Flavor– The rich and decadent chocolate flavor in these brownies will make your mouth water! With two tasty types of chocolate, these brownies from scratch have the perfect amount of chocolate to satisfy even the biggest chocoholic!
- Customizable Flavor- These flavorful Chocolate Brownies From Scratch are the perfect basic brownie to put your own twist on. Once you have mastered these brownies you can get a little creative with additional ingredients and go wild!
- Cost Effective- This is a sweet treat that tastes like a million bucks, but only takes a few dollars to make. Most of the ingredients are pantry staples that are already on hand, but this perfect recipe for brownies from scratch uses easy-to-find ingredients and methods so treating yourself is well within your reach!
- People Pleaser- These brownies are a great treat to bring to a party because everyone will love them. Watch these brownies fly off the plate at your next get-together!
Here’s How You Make It
- A.P. Flour- All-purpose flour gives these brownies their structure. Optionally whole wheat flour can be used in place of A.P. at a 1:1 ratio.
If gluten is a concern, try baking these luscious treats with gluten-free flour. The brownies will maintain their fudgy taste and texture even with gluten-free flour. For the brownies, optionally substitute gluten-free flour at a ratio of 1:1.
- Baking Soda- Helps to leaven the brownies and give them a rich texture.
- Salt- Everything sweet needs a little salt! Fine Kosher salt is a great choice for bakers.
- Hershey’s Cocoa Naturally Unsweetened- Unsweetened cocoa powder adds the first tasty touch of chocolate. This powdery ingredient is basically very concentrated cacao and it packs a chocolatey punch.
If Hershey’s is not available, substitute another brand of unsweetened baking cocoa.
- Sugar- Granulated white sugar is the perfect sweetener for this baked delight!
- Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate- Deliciously complex semi-sweet chocolate adds enough bitter and sweet cocoa flavors to push these brownies to the level of unforgettable!
- Eggs- Whole beaten eggs add airiness and lightness to the brownie batter. A quick trick for when you run out of eggs is to swap with applesauce. The texture and flavor are virtually the same and 1 egg equals ¼ cup of applesauce if you’re ever in jam.
- Butter- Butter is one of the main components of these brownies. It adds fat and creamy flavor. Unsalted is a great choice when baking.
- Vanilla Extract- A small hint of vanilla in baked goods can really help to round out the sweet flavors of semi-sweet chocolate and sugar. A good vanilla extract is great to have on hand if you like to bake. While they may be expensive, high-end extracts have a more round and true to the ingredient flavor, and since they are so concentrated a little bit of this premium add-in goes a long way!
- Canola Oil- This oil is simply for greasing the baking pan. If canola is unavailable, vegetable oil is a perfect substitute for non-stick cooking spray.
- Grease an 8×8 pan with canola oil and line with parchment paper.
- Chop Semi-sweet baking chocolate, and set aside.
- Put oven wire in the middle and preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Put the all-purpose flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Mix using a wire whisk. Set aside.
- Melt butter in the microwave for 1 minute. Add in sugar and then egg. Mix using a wire whisk and add vanilla extract. Mix again then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. The batter should be sticky, that’s okay.
- Fold half of the chopped chocolate into the batter and transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Smooth out the batter and sprinkle the remaining half of the chopped chocolate on top. Gently press down.
- Bake brownies for 22 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
How to Serve Scratch-Made Chocolate Brownies
- Dust these delicious brownies with powdered sugar for a classic look, or if you want a sweet that’s a little over the top, try frosting these finished brownies!
- Try pairing these decadent brownies with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an out-of-this-world brownies sundae. Be sure not to skip the hot fudge!
How to Store Scratch-Made Chocolate Brownies
Move the brownies to an airtight container, or plastic bag, or tightly wrap them in plastic. It is perfectly safe to store these brownies at room temperature for up to four days as long as they are in a properly sealed container.
How to Reheat
You can reheat these chocolatey treats. Simply place one brownie on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for 15 seconds.
Can I Mix Other Flavors, like Nuts or Marshmallows?
Yes! These Brownies from Scratch are the perfect basic brownie to customize. If you like the classic flavor of brownies with walnuts then fold some into the batter before baking. Mini marshmallows, peanut butter chips, and white chocolate chips all make great brownie batter mix-ins!
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Be careful to sift together all the dry ingredients, this helps make sure that everything is evenly distributed in the final batter.
- When melting butter in the microwave be sure to use short bursts, so the butter does not burn.
- Allow the butter to cool a bit before adding eggs to it. You do not want to cook the eggs!
- Be sure to fully beat the eggs before adding. The more mixture you do when flour and egg are together the tougher the brownies will become.
- Use care when folding in the chocolate chunks so you do not overmix the batter.
- Use the toothpick test to check for doneness. This is done by inserting a toothpick into the center of the pan. If the toothpick comes out clean they are fully baked. Note that for a more fudgy consistency you may want to slightly underbake the tray.
More Recipes You’ll Love
Learning how to make classic favorites like Brownies from Scratch can be so rewarding, so why not keep the good feeling going with more kitchen experimentation!? Try these excellent recipes for classic comfort dishes with a delicious twist:
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Pork Adobo
- No Knead Bread
- Instant Pot Steam Buns
- Orange Chicken
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Hershey's Cocoa Naturally Unsweetened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 oz Semi Sweet Baking Chocolate large chop
- 2 eggs beaten
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Canola oil to grease 8x8 pan
- Grease 8x8 pan with canala oil and line with parchment paper.
- Chop Semi sweet baking chocolate,set aside.
- Put oven wire in the middle and preheat oven at 350 F.
- Put all purpose flour, cocoa,baking soda, salt in a medium sized bowl. Mix using wire whisk. Set aside.
- Melt butter in the microwave for 1 minute. Add in sugar and then egg. Mix using wire whisk and add vanilla extract. Mix again then add the dry ingredients to this wet ingredients.
- Batter should be sticky but that's ok...
- Fold in half of the chopped chocolate into the batter and transfer to the prepared pan.
- Flatten butter and sprinkle the remaining half of the chopped chocolate on top. Gently press down.
- Bake brownies from 25-30 minutes of until toothpick comes out clean.
So true. It is great with loads of vanilla ice cream…
Now thats my type of brownies, chewy and moist. Thanks for this recipe