This is a 1 Layer Moist Chocolate cake recipe. It is easy to make and not too sweet. It was topped with easy to make ganache made of dark and white chocolate bits and heavy whipping cream. This is a very sinful dessert. Enjoy!
Call me old but I do not like the music we have in this era. I do not like that there are so many profanities in the lyrics and I do not like how girls are turned into sex objects and sex are so casual in those lyrics. Although we do not turn on the radio on in our household, I can listen to these music when I drop my daughter to school. In fact, sometimes I do it purposely to start a conversation and I also I think that there are teaching moments in this type of music.
My daughter has grown. Gone are the days when I have to command her what to do and she follows. Now that she is a teenager, I have to have a different approach in teaching her the hard knocks of life and share her my experiences. I'd rather teach her the real world than her learning "stuff" from her friends. For these reasons , in spite of how bad a music is, sometimes I turned the radio on a non Christian station. We listen to the music together and more often than not, she starts talking about her encounters in school and I listen and gently give her some inputs.I have to be careful though, because too much advice, and she shuts down.
She is growing so fast and it worries me. As much as I want to protect her from the world,the truth is that I cannot shield her from her surroundings. There will be kids who will be disrespectful or who speak filthy words or some kids who may live differently from our values, but these are the realities of the world she is in. Rather being averse and judgmental, I might as well be open and to teach her to be smart in her choices and to be respectful. She may roll her eyes but I know she is listening. My goal as a mother is for my daughter is to look back and say, " My parents taught me well."
Moving on. This chocolate cake my friends, is moist and not too sweet. The batter is good enough for one layer of cake which your family can consume right of the bat or some for a sweet desserts for the next day. This was frosted with chocolate ganache. I have been trying to teach myself to make some chocolate ganache for a long time, and finally, I made it. I was surprised how easy it was to make. I hope you will try making ganache too and you will feel good about yourself. I used the leftover ganache to coat the strawberry ( shown as decoration on the cake). The frosting tends to get hard when it is left sitting on the counter, so if you are going to coat your strawberry, just reheat the ganache in low heat and roll the strawberries. ON HOW TO MAKE BUTTERMILK: Check this post: How to Make Buttermilk
Quote for Today :
May your life preach more loudly than your lips. [tweet this]
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup water
- 3 tbsps unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup buttermilk ( see notes below)
- ¾ tsp vanilla
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- ½ pint minus ¼ cup Heavy Cream - use this for the white chocolate ganache
- 8 oz semi sweet dark chocolate ( chopped)
- FOR THE WHITE CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
- ¼ cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Grease a lightly grease 6 " or 8 X 1½ baking pan.In a mixer bowl, stir together flour,sugar,baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Pre heat oven at 350 F. In a saucepan, combine butter,water and cocoa powder. Bring to just boiling and stir constantly. Remove from heat and add cocoa mixture to flour mixture; beat with electric mixer on slow speed until just combined. Add egg, buttermilk and vanilla; beat on low speed for 1 minute. Turn batter into the prepared pans and bake until toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean .I usually start checking at 25 minutes from the start of baking process. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes and on the rack before frosting.
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
- Place chopped dark chocolate in a heat safe bowl and the white chocolate chips in a different bowl. Set aside. In a small sauce pan, heat ½ pint heavy cream until boiling and pour ¼ cup to the white chocolates and the remaining cream to the dark semi sweet chocolates. Mix bowl until chocolates are melted. Let it cool and fudgy before using to frost. NOTE: You can heat the cream separately if you want. This ganache will cover a 1 layer 6" round cake pan and some left over for the strawberry decoration and some for your kids to enjoy.
- TO DECORATE THE CAKE USING STRAWBERRIES: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and dip berries into the melted ganache and place them on the parchment paper. Let it dry and cool before decorating with the white ganache. ( If the ganache is fudgy, just reheat it and it will melt again.)
- FOR THE WHITE STRIPES: Place cooled, fudgy and set white ganache into a cake decorating bag with a tip # 5 and make strips on the strawberries and some for your cake.
Mix ¼ cup milk and 1 tsp vinegar. Please check this link for reference: