Chicken Legs Oven Bake. I am sharing the perfect recipe for tender chicken legs, oven-baked to perfection. Enjoy the mouthwatering flavors with our easy-to-follow chicken leg recipe. Your family will love this savory dish!
Chicken Legs Oven Baked – A Delicious Delight
Table of Contents
When you visit your local grocery store, particularly in the meat section, you can’t help but notice the significant price difference between chicken legs and chicken breasts. It’s pretty staggering! This price gap is because chicken legs are often considered less healthy than chicken breasts. However, that doesn’t bother me one bit. What matters most is that I absolutely adore the moistness of chicken legs, especially when they are baked in the oven – they always come out incredibly juicy.
I also have a soft spot for chicken thighs; they’re right up there with my favorite, the chicken leg. There are, of course, several ways to cook chicken legs. I’ve even turned them into Filipino Adobo, but my preferred method is baking them in the oven. The simplicity of rubbing a homemade chicken leg seasoning, placing them in a pan, and letting the oven work its magic never fails to ease my cooking endeavors.
Chicken Legs Oven Bake Rub Ingredients
- Two tablespoons thyme
- Two tablespoons of Onion Powder
- Two tablespoons of Garlic Powder
- Two teaspoons of paprika
- juice of 1 lemon
How to Bake Chicken Legs to Perfection
- Prepare the Chicken Leg Rub:
- Combine two tablespoons of thyme, two tablespoons of Onion Powder, two tablespoons of Garlic Powder, and two teaspoons of Paprika.
- Add the juice of 1 lemon to the mixture.
- Marinate the Chicken Legs:
- Place the chicken legs in a large bowl and drizzle the homemade rub.
- Ensure the spice is evenly distributed under the skin and in all crevices of the meat.
- Cover the bowl and marinate the chicken legs, preferably overnight. You can also use a zip-loc bag for marination.
- Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bake the Chicken Legs:
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper or use a nonstick spray.
- Arrange the marinated chicken legs on the pan.
- Bake the chicken legs for 40 minutes on one side.
- Flip the chicken legs over and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- To ensure the chicken legs are cooked to perfection, use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the chicken reaches at least 165°F (74°C).
Choosing the Right Temperature
The temperature at which you bake chicken legs can influence their texture and flavor. Here are some temperature options:
- Baking at 350°F: This is the standard temperature for cooking chicken legs, resulting in even and thorough cooking, usually taking about 35-45 minutes.
- Baking at 400°F: This higher temperature will yield crispier skin and shorten the cooking time to about 25-35 minutes.
- Baking at 425°F: While this temperature will give you even crispier skin, be cautious as chicken legs can cook quickly, usually in 25-35 minutes.
To determine if your chicken legs are done:
- Use a Meat Thermometer:
- Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the leg, ensuring it doesn’t touch the bone. When the internal temperature reads 165°F (74°C), your chicken is safe and ready to eat.
- Visual Inspection:
- Check that the juices run clear, not pink or bloody.
- Ensure the meat is no longer pink near the bone and the flesh appears opaque.
- If you desire crispy skin, it should have a golden-brown appearance.
Storing Baked Chicken Legs
- Allow the baked chicken legs to cool to room temperature before storing.
- Wrap them in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place them in an airtight container.
- You can store them in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- For extended storage, freeze each chicken leg individually or place them in a freezer-safe container or bag.
- Remember to label them with the date.
- Baked chicken legs can be frozen for up to 2-3 months.
When reheating baked chicken legs:
- Microwave: Reheat in the microwave for a quick option, or…
- Oven: Preheat your oven to around 350°F (175°C) and bake the chicken legs for 15-20 minutes or until heated.
- Wet Paper Towel: Wet a paper towel, wrap it around the chicken, and microwave it in 30-second intervals, checking for doneness.
Always ensure that the reheated chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) for safe consumption. Enjoy your delicious crispy chicken legs!
FOR MORE CHICKEN RECIPES:
Chicken Legs Oven Bake Recipe
- Baking Pan
- Tin foil
CHICKEN RUB INGREDIENTS
- 2 tablespoons Thyme
- 2 tablespoons Onion Powder
- 2 Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Lemon, juice of 1 lemon
- 4.5 lbs chicken legs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
MARINATING THE CHICKEN LEGS
- Place chicken in a bowl and add in the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover the bowl and marinate the chicken legs overnight.
- When the chicken is ready, preheat the oven to 350 F. Bake the chicken and check the drumsticks after thirty minutes of baking.
- Check the internal temperature of the meat by poking the thickest part of the meat with the meat thermometer. Make sure that the thermometer is not touching the bones.
- The chicken leg is done when the internal meat temperature is at 165 F. This is about 60 minutes of baking.
Hi, my name is Shobee. Welcome to The Skinny Pot, where we cook Easy Recipes from the available ingredients from our pantry and fridge! We’re your go-to source for simple and delicious recipes that make the most of what you already have at home. Talk about the pantry challenge. Read more...