Pancit Bihon is made of rice stick noodles which you can readily purchase in an Asian store near you. Just look for the word BIHON written on the pack and you are good to go. I don’t recommend using other rice stick noodles because they tend to be soggy.
Other ingredients that you need for making are soy sauce, salt, garlic, and onion powder and you can add your favorite veggies in it, and you can opt to add meat or shrimp. Your choice.
Making Bihon is a very easy feat, pretty much you just saute the meat and cook it until tender, and add water or broth to tenderize your meat. But the main thing here is to be vigilant about the noodles. You don’t want it to be soggy. You don’t want to be eating a piece of the blob. So make sure to read the noodle instructions.
Pancit Bihon is something special in Filipino cooking. It is often served on birthdays to wish the celebrant long life and good health. So on your next birthday, serve Pancit Bihon.
For more noodle recipes:
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 medium size onion chopped
- 1 piece carrot sliced in strips
- ½ of bell pepper slice into strips
- 5 pieces cabbage leaves wash and slice into small pieces
- 2 lbs pork meat, slice into bite sized pieces chicken breast,chicken thigh or chicken drumstick
- 2 packs 8 oz Rice Stick Noodles Bihon
- 8 cups water or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce start with less then add more if needed
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- salt, and pepper to taste as desired
- Soak noodles in a warm water. Set aside.
- Heat cooking oil and saute' garlic until lightly brown.
- Add in onion and cook until transparent.
- Add meat and cook until it changes color and soft.
- Add the soy sauce, garlic, and onion powder. and let cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add water or broth. Let simmer for five more minutes. Taste the broth. Add salt and pepper ad season according to your liking.
- Drain the water from the noodles.
- Add the Rice Stick Noodles and let cook until the noodles are soft. Add in the carrot, cabbage, and bell pepper mix with the veggies and gently mix until the water dries out. REMOVE THE PAN FROM HEAT.
- BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVERCOOK THE NOODLES AS IT WILL BECOME SOGGY. USUALLY, WHEN THE NOODLES ARE MIX TOGETHER, AND THE WATER DRIES, REMOVE IT FROM THE HEAT AND TRANSFER TO THE SERVING CONTAINER.