Ube Roll Cake with cream cheese frosting.
Moist, tasty and earthy cake roll recipe with a step by step instruction video to guide you. Frosted with homemade cream cheese frosting, this cake is worth a try.
Hello, guys! Today, we are making UBE CAKE ROLL. Finally, your search for a moist and delicious ube cake is over. THIS. IS IT. Although I want to claim the this ube roll recipe IS A COPY CAT FOR GOLDILOCKS, I don't really remember how Goldilocks Ube Roll tasted like. I have been gone for 20 years, so among you who remember, please tell me if this recipe comes close to it.
SO HOW DO YOU MAKE UBE CAKE ROLL ?
I wish I can say it is easy and quick, because it is not too quick and easy in some parts of the recipe process.SURE, THE MIXING of the ingredients were the easy part, but the rolling of the cake kind worries me out. Even though I've made this several times.
- First, you have to prepare the ingredients ahead of time.
- I line the pan with parchment paper.
- Make sure that you got the right size of pan.
- You can skip the Ube Powder, but you have to have the Ube flavoring.
- Double the Ube flavor to ge that purple ube color.
HELP, I cannot find Ube Flavor.
- I bought the Ube flavor online- in Amazon. Since our Asian store doesn't carry it as well. In fact they never carry it.
- In this recipe, you don't need Ube Powder, so Skip the Ube powder.
WHAT I LOVE ABOUT UBE CAKE ROLL RECIPE :
- It has achieved the depth of ube flavor I remembered in PI. I am not being bias, this is realllllly good.
- This ube cake did turn out the purple color I wanted. The color in the picture is the color it turned out to. No edits.
- It is moist. This Ube Cake roll is not hard.
TIPS TO MAKE THIS UBE CAKE A SUCCESS:
- I said it before, and I will say it again. Use the right pan size. In my cake I use xxxxxxx
- Start checking using toothpick test your cake 15 minutes from the start of baking. Then test it again at 20 minute.
- Put your oven rack in the middle of the oven.
- Roll the cake while still hot and make sure that you scrape the cake off the pan so that it do not stick when you flip it.
- Don't spray non stick oil on your pan.
UBE CAKE ROLL RECIPE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING.
Moist, tasty and earthy cake roll recipe with a step by step instruction video to guide you. Frosted with homemade cream cheese frosting, this Ube Cake Roll is worth a try.
FOR THE CAKE:
- 6 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 80 ml coconut/canola oil
- 100 ml coconut milk/regular milk/evaporated
- 10 tablespoons cake flour
- total of 2 teaspoons Ube flavor ( separated)
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoons, cream of tartar
- 11 tablespoons granulated sugar
- powdered sugar to spread generously on the cooked cake
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE CAKE ROLL:
- Pre heat oven at 350 F and put the wire rack at the middle of the oven.
- Add 1 teaspoon of ube flavor to the measuring glass (leas check video) add the milk to total liquid of 100 ml.
- Put egg yolks in a small bowl.
- Add in the sugar and mix. Add the cake flour. Mix
- Add the oil and coconut milk / ube flavor mixture and mix.
- Mix using a wire whisk until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
- Add the extra teaspoon of the Ube Flavoring
- Set aside.
FOR THE MERINGUE:
Put egg whites in a stand mixer bowl and mix until frothy.
Add the cream of tartar and mix. Add the sugar intermittently. 3 times and mix until stiff peaks.
You can tell if it is stiff peaks, when meringue forms a horn when you pull the whisk upward.
PREPARING THE CHIFFON CAKE:
When meringue is ready, scoop about a cup of meringue mixture and add it into the egg yolk mixture.
Use a folding method in mixing. Using a spatula, scoop mixture then pull up until all of the mixture are incorporated. Do this gently, folding too hard will result in a hard chiffon cake.
Add mixture into the rest of the meringue and mix again using the folding method.
Transfer mixture into a NON GREASE 9.5 x 13 inches lined with the pattern and pour cake batter on top of the pattern, tap the pan in a flat surface to remove air bubbles.
Bake at pre heated 350 F oven for 10-15 minutes. Start checking at 12 minutes using a toothpick test method.
When chiffon cake is done, WORK ON ROLLING the cake. Try to scrape sides of the pan using a knife.
ROLLING THE CAKE:
While the cake is hot, work on rolling it. I actually roll it 5 minutes after taking out from the oven.
Put the pan in a flat surface and GENEROUSLY sprinkle top of the cake with powdered sugar. This part is important, so that the cake will not stick on the cloth or parchment. Cover the cake with tea towel or parchment paper.Leave about 1 inch of the towel/parchment on one side and put a flat pan on top of the cake/towel. Flip the cake .You really need to be careful that the pan fits or the cake will not slide when you flip it. I have cake ruined and break doing this process.
Remove the parchment paper and very gently roll the cake with the tea towel/parchment . Roll it from the shorter (width side ) side of cake. This process will create a rolled formed muscle of the cake. Let the cake rest for about 30 minutes or an hour. SLICE 2 INCHES ON BOTH SIZE OF THE CAKE FOR UBE CRUMBS AND LET COOL.
Then unroll the cake.
Letting the cake rolled for a long time makes it soggy and flimsy.
Let the cake cool for an about 40 minutes. And then you can fill the cake.
FILL THE CAKE:
Put the cream cheese in standing mixing bowl and mix for about 1 minute. Add in the powder sugar. Start mixing in slow so that sugar will not fly everywhere .
Add the heavy whipping cream and mix until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate cream if not using immediately.
RESERVE 2 CUPS OF THE FILLING AND BAG IT FOR PIPING YOU CAN USE YOUR FAVORITE TIP.
WHEN THE CAKE IS READY TO FILL AND DECORATED:
Line a flat long plate with parchment paper ( Please check video) . And put the Ube cake.
Using a spatula, gently fill the cake Leave about 1 inch of the cake not filled.
Cover the whole cake with the frosting.
Process the extra cut cake and cover the Ube cake with the crumbled ube cake
Arrange the strawberry or cherry on top and refrigerate until ready to eat. Enjoy!
- Category: SWEETS
- Method: BAKING
- Cuisine: FILIPINO
Keywords: UBE CAKE, UBE ROLL CAKE