This Ube Cake Red Ribbon Copycat is moist, sweet and soft. Filled with cream cheese frosting, you don't need to be close to Red Ribbon to quench your Ube cake cravings.
FOR MORE CAKE RECIPES:
This Ube Cake Red Ribbon Copycat is moist, sweet and soft. Filled with cream cheese frosting, you don't need to be close to Red Ribbon to quench your Ube cake yearnings.
FOR THE CAKE:
- 6 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 40 ml coconut/canola oil
- 100 ml coconut milk/regular milk/evaporated
- 10 tablespoons cake flour
- total of 4 teaspoon Ube flavor ( separated)
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoons, cream of tartar
- 11 tablespoons granulated sugar
- powdered sugar to spread generously on the cooked cake
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces (1 pkg) cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE CAKE ROLL:
- Line (4) FOUR 6 inch pan with parchment paper.Don't grease the pan.
- Pre heat oven at 350 F and put the wire rack at the middle of the oven.
- Add 1 teaspoon of ube flavor to the measuring glass (pleas check video) add the milk to total liquid of 100 ml.
- Put egg yolks in a small bowl.
- Add in the sugar and mix. Add the cake flour. Mix
- Add the oil and coconut milk / ube flavor mixture and mix.
- Mix using a wire whisk until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
- Add the extra teaspoon of the Ube Flavoring
- Set aside.
FOR THE MERINGUE:
Put egg whites in a stand mixer bowl and mix until frothy.
Add the cream of tartar and mix. Add the sugar intermittently. 3 times and mix until stiff peaks.
You can tell if it is stiff peaks, when meringue forms a horn when you pull the whisk upward.
PREPARING THE CHIFFON CAKE:
When meringue is ready, scoop about a cup of meringue mixture and add it into the egg yolk mixture.
Use a folding method in mixing. Using a spatula, scoop mixture then pull up until all of the mixture are incorporated. Do this gently, folding too hard will result in a hard chiffon cake.
Add mixture into the rest of the meringue and mix again using the folding method.
Transfer mixture into a NON GREASE 6 inch pan and pour cake batter equally in each pan. You can eyeball or weigh the batter. tap the pan in a flat surface to remove air bubbles.
Bake at pre heated 350 F oven for 10-15 minutes. Start checking at 12 minutes using a toothpick test method - insert the toothpick in the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, it is cook.
Let cool until pan is cold to touch and transfer cake in a cooling rack to cool the cake completely.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- Place cream cheese in a medium size bowl and beat until soft and smooth.
- Add the heavy whipping cream slowly in about 4 intervals - until the cream cheese resembles a liquid mixture. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Add the sugar and vanilla extract and beat in between to smoothen mixture.
- Beat until stiff peaks.
- Use immediately.
ASSEMBLE THE CAKE:
- Remove parchment paper from the cake and process one layer in the processor for rough crumbs to cover the cake.
- Take a cup of the frosting and put into the piping bag.
- Place one layer and fill with the frosting.
- Put the other layer and frost.
- Top the last layer and frost the cake completely.
- Cover the whole cake with the crumbs and decorate using your favorite decorating tip. I use the star tip in this cake.
This cake do not work when making layer cake.
Make sure that cream cheese is smooth before adding the sugar.
The cream cheese frosting is very soft, so it is only not applicable for cake decorating.