This is the best Ube cake using no Ube Halaya added. It’s a Red Ribbon Copycat. The base is from the Ube cake roll cake. Filled with cream cheese frosting, you don’t need to be close to Red Ribbon to quench your Ube cake cravings.
WHAT IS UBE CAKE ABOUT?
If you are Filipino, I am sure you have tried Red Ribbon bakery and frequent it. Still, for my non-Filipino readers, Red Ribbon is a bakery in the Philippines that offers various cakes, pastries, and even savory Filipino food. Yup! Only in the Philippines where you can find all of those heavy meals on sale too- in a bakery. So it’s a one-stop bakery with a restaurant in it.
So many OFW (Overseas Filipino Workers) like me must have missed Red Ribbon Bakery, especially this cake. Aside from their other sold items like Empanada, Ensaymada, Ube Cake is the one I tried to learn and master because I missed it too much!
So I made this cake today, which you, my fellow OFW, can try whatever race you are. It is moist, soft, and so good.
What is Ube Cake Made off?
This cake’s prominent Ube flavor. Ube is a root and is cooked like a mashed potato. The Ube is then sweetened and cooked until the fluid is completely evaporated. This is the ideal ingredient for this cake, but since our grocery store in the USA doesn’t usually carry them, we will use this Ube Flavor shown above. You can buy it in your Asian store or order on Amazon.
- Egg – you use egg in this recipe as leavening and flavor
- Granulated sugar- sweetens the cake.
- Coconut/canola oil-give moisturizes the cake and flavor
- Coconut milk/regular milk/evaporated- enhances the flavor and gives the
- Cake flour gives structure to the cake.
- Ube flavor-give the cake its Ube flavor
- Heavy whipping cream gives volume to the frosting
- Cream cheese-add flavor and bind the frosting together
- Powdered sugar-this sweetens the frosting
- The vanilla extract gives a gentle vanilla flavor to the frosting
- Line (4) FOUR 6 inch pan with parchment paper. Don’t grease the pan.
- Preheat the oven at 350 F and put the wire rack in the middle of the oven.
- Add one teaspoon of Ube flavor to the measuring glass (please check video) add the milk to a total liquid of 100 ml.
- Put egg yolks in a small bowl. Add in the sugar and cake flour and mix the ingredients until incorporated.
- Add the oil and coconut milk / ube flavor mixture and mix.
- Mix using a wire whisk until all of the ingredients are incorporated. Add the extra teaspoon of the Ube Flavoring. Set aside.
- Make the Meringue – Put egg whites in a stand mixer bowl and mix until frothy.
- Add the cream of tartar and mix. Add the sugar intermittently. Three times and mix until stiff peaks.
- You can tell if it is stiff peaks when meringue forms a horn when you pull the whisk upward.
When meringue is ready, scoop about a cup of the meringue mixture and add it into the egg yolk mixture.
Use a folding method in mixing. Using a spatula, scoop mixture, then pull up until all of the combinations are incorporated. Do this gently; folding too hard will result in a hard chiffon cake.
Add mixture into the rest of the meringue and mix again using the folding method.
Transfer mixture into a NON GREASE 6-inch pan and pour cake batter equally in each pan. You can eyeball or weigh the batter. Tap the pan on a flat surface to remove air bubbles.
- You can replace the Cake flour with All-purpose flour.
- Substitute coconut oil with canola or vegetable oil.
- Substitute coconut milk with evaporated milk or whole milk.
FOR MORE UBE CAKE RECIPES:
Ube Cake Red Ribbon Copycat
FOR THE CAKE:
- 6 egg yolks separated
- 3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 40 ml coconut/canola oil
- 100 ml coconut milk/regular milk/evaporated
- 10 tablespoons cake flour
- 4 teaspoons Ube flavor separated
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 11 tablespoons granulated sugar
- powdered sugar to spread generously on the cooked cake
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE CAKE ROLL:
- Line (4) FOUR 6 inch pan with parchment paper.Don't grease the pan.
- Pre heat oven at 350 F and put the wire rack at the middle of the oven.
- Add 1 teaspoon of ube flavor to the measuring glass (pleas check video) add the milk to total liquid of 100 ml.
- Put egg yolks in a small bowl.
- Add in the sugar and mix. Add the cake flour. Mix
- Add the oil and coconut milk / ube flavor mixture and mix.
- Mix using a wire whisk until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
- Add the extra teaspoon of the Ube Flavoring
- Set aside.
- FOR THE MERINGUE: Put egg whites in a stand mixer bowl and mix until frothy.
- Add the cream of tartar and mix. Add the sugar intermittently. 3 times and mix until stiff peaks.
- You can tell if it is stiff peaks, when meringue forms a horn when you pull the whisk upward.
- PREPARING THE CHIFFON CAKE: When meringue is ready, scoop about a cup of meringue mixture and add it into the egg yolk mixture.
- Use a folding method in mixing. Using a spatula, scoop mixture then pull up until all of the mixture are incorporated. Do this gently, folding too hard will result in a hard chiffon cake.
- Add mixture into the rest of the meringue and mix again using the folding method.
- Transfer mixture into a NON GREASE 6 inch pan and pour cake batter equally in each pan. You can eyeball or weigh the batter. tap the pan in a flat surface to remove air bubbles.
- Bake at pre heated 350 F oven for 10-15 minutes. Start checking at 12 minutes using a toothpick test method - insert the toothpick in the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, it is cook.
- Let cool until pan is cold to touch and transfer cake in a cooling rack to cool the cake completely.
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: Place cream cheese in a medium size bowl and beat until soft and smooth.
- Add the heavy whipping cream slowly in about 4 intervals - until the cream cheese resembles a liquid mixture. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Add the sugar and vanilla extract and beat in between to smoothen mixture.
- Beat until stiff peaks.
- Use immediately.
- ASSEMBLE THE CAKE: Remove parchment paper from the cake and process one layer in the processor for rough crumbs to cover the cake.
- Take a cup of the frosting and put into the piping bag.
- Place one layer and fill with the frosting.
- Put the other layer and frost.
- Top the last layer and frost the cake completely.
- Cover the whole cake with the crumbs and decorate using your favorite decorating tip. I use the star tip in this cake.