This Arroz Caldo Recipe yields aa creamy rice porridge Filipino style. It’s spiced up with lot of ginger and garlic. Known as Fillipino ” catharsis ” for flu or any sickness, or as a comforting “blanket” to warm for the rainy season.
WHAT IS AROZ CALDO?
Arroz Caldo is derive from the word Arroz which is a Spanish for rice and Caldo for broth. This is a traditional Filipino porridge made with chicken meat, ginger,garlic onion and chicken broth. It is simmered until the glutinous rice is soft and creamy.
Arroz Caldo Story ( skip if you want)
Food always brings great memories and this Arroz Caldo is one of those special Filipino food which I remember vividly, specially when I get sick or get a flu. I made this Arroz Caldo using this recipe to make me feel better and alleviate any painful body fatigue just like how my lola (Grandma) used to do to make me feel better. I did not remember grandma made me this, but I remember her pulling that 1 cent under her pillow to buy me Arroz Caldo when I am down on her bench due to my lagnat ( fever). She claimed the ginger spice will take that fever away and that very hot broth will release sweat from my body and take away that high temperature. From her point of you, you don’t take medicine for any sickness. She’d say, ” drink that water and you will feel better. ” She had the same thoughts about this porridge – ARROZ CALDO. To her, this is the medicine of the century. And I just surrender to her “medical advise,” while she shove this in my mouth. I am glad that it’s creamy and delicious. Although that time, I did not like the ginger’s spiciness. Now though, I add loooots of ginger . The crunchy ginger in between spoonful is always a surprise.
Although I have the luxury of buying medication in the pharmacy, this porridge always make its way on the table when my kids are sick. And it has become a tradition too. I even told the kids to drink your water, it heals any disease. I found myself sounding like granny. I am betting I will do the same to my grandkids too. I just hope that they will not find it annoying just as I rolled my eyes at grandma.
Enjoy this comforting meal to warm and comfort you when you are literally cold or even when you are sick. Maybe it will heal you too…
WHAT TYPE OF RICE TO USE?
You can use any type of rice- Jasmine, Calrose or Masbate rice. You can even use brown rice, but I highly recommend glutinous rice / sweet rice. It add depth in the flavor.
WHAT LIQUID CAN I USE?
You can use water or chicken broth as liquid. But for those who are in sodium diet, just use water and skip a lot of the salt.
Arroz Caldo Recipe
- 1/2 lb chicken thigh chopped
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 inches ginger slice into strips
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 1 cup glutinous rice
- 4 or more cups water
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce - you must add it it heightens the tastes of the soup
- 1 chicken bouillon
- In medium heat, saute' cooking oil in a large pan and add in garlic, onion and ginger.
- Cook spices until they are wilted.
- Add in chicken thigh and cover until moisture comes out.
- Add in glutinous rice and mix with the ingredients and let cook for two minutes.
- Add in the water. Cover and let the glutinous rice soften.
- Make sure you stir the rice once in while to prevent it from sticking in the bottom. Continue cooking in medium heat.
- Add in chicken bouillon and salt and fish sauce ( a must). Spice according to your preference. Add more water if needed. In this Arroz Caldo recipe, I added a total of 6 cups of water.
- Simmer for another 3 minutes and serve hot.
Hi, my name is Shobee. Welcome to The Skinny Pot, where we cook Easy Recipes from the available ingredients from our pantry and fridge! We’re your go-to source for simple and delicious recipes that make the most of what you already have at home. Talk about the pantry challenge. Read more...