This Purple Sweet Potato (Kamote Pie) is an easy alternative to our ever-elusive Ube Pie. This Kamote Pie tastes just similar to Ube Pie -I promise.
Hi, guys! It’s another week, so we have another recipe in the blog. Today, I will be sharing with you this Kamote Pie which can be a substitute for our ever-elusive Ube pie. If you don’t live in the Philippines, having a fresh Ube is hard to get ahold of. So for us, OFW, we can replace fresh Ube with frozen ones; but frozen Ube just doesn’t cut it in terms of flavors. So in this recipe, I replaced the Ube with Kamote hoping that this will be a delicious alternative to the Ube pie. I tell you though, that it does taste like Ube at least what my family thought too.
This is an easy Kamote Pie to make for a function you are going to. And if you feel up to it, you can make this Sweet Potato Pie recipe I posted last week too.
HOW DOES KAMOTE PIE TASTE LIKE:
Kamote Pie tastes earthy and has a dense texture. I used coconut milk on this pie to emphasize the earthy flavor we usually remember when we eat Ube pie.
When Do I know the Kamote Pie is Ready?
It’s hard to tell when the Kamote Pie is ready, but I use the toothpick test and smell test. You can smell the pie in about 40 to 45 minutes of baking and that’s the time you that I do the toothpick test. Just poke the pie in the middle and when it comes out clean, it is ready.
KAMOTE PIE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 pound purple sweet potato
- Coconut milk- gives the pie an earthy flavor.
- Spices-cloves, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- eggs-this serves as the binding agent.
- Sugar- this serves as the sweetener of the pie.
How do you Make Purple Sweet Potato Pie
Cook the Purple Sweet Potato- you can cook the potatoes stovetop, in the conventional oven, or in the Instant Pot
- Stovetop-wash the sweet potatoes to remove soil. Place the potatoes in a medium-sized pot and add water just to cover the potatoes. Cook the potatoes until fork tender.
- Conventional oven– Poke sweet potato with a fork and wrap it with foil. Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for one hour, or until it is fork-tender. When the fork slides into the potato easily, it is ready.
- Instant Pot-Place the inner pot into the base and add two cups of water. Put the trivet in place and cover it with a pressure cooker lid. Set the pressure on HI and set the timer to ten minutes. You can also air fry the sweet potato.
- Mix all of the ingredients– after cooking the sweet potatoes, mix all of the ingredients and pour them into the ready-made pie crust.
How do you Store Sweet Potato Pie?
You can both freeze and refrigerate this pie.
- Freeze- to freeze, let the pie cool down and cover it with tin foil. Place in the freezer for one month. When you are ready to eat it, simply thaw it on the counter.
- Refrigerate- let the pie cool down and cover with tin foil. Refrigerate for three days.
For More Pie Recipes:
Purple Sweet Potato Pie (Kamote Pie)
- 1 instant pot duo crisp plus air fryer 8 quart
- 1 Hand Electric Mixer
- 1 Large bowl
- Large pot
- 1 lb Purple Sweet Potato mash
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 ready-made frozen pie crust thawed
- 2 tsp Ube flavoring optional, but highly recommended to add color and flavor
How to Cook in Conventional Oven
- Poke sweet potato with a fork and wrap with foil.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for one hour, or until it is fork-tender. When the fork slides into the potato easily, it is ready.Peel the sweet potato and mash it.
How to Cook Sweet Potato in the Instant Pot
- Wash sweet potato to remove soil.
- Place the inner pot into the base and add two cups of water. Put the trivet in place and put the sweet potatoes on top.Cover it with a pressure cooker lid. Set the pressure on HI and set the timer to ten minutes. You can also air fry the sweet potato. Please see the notes.
How to Cook Purple Sweet Potato Pie
- Peel the cooked baked potatoes and put them in a large bowl. Mash them.Add in the melted butter, coconut milk, spices, and sugar.Mash using an electric mixer you can use a masher.
- When the potatoes are mashed, add in the egg and the Ube Flavoring. Mix for another three minutes to incorporate the egg and the flavoring into the potatoes.
- Transfer the mixture to a ready-made thawed pie crust and bake for 50 minutes. Start checking when you can smell the pie, at about 55 minutes.
- If you want to air fry sweet potato, please check this post- Okinawan sweet Potato post.
- The time of cooking depends on how thick your potatoes are. In this case, the sweet potatoes are about one and a half inches thick and five inches long. Add more cooking time if the potatoes you are using are round and thick.