I finally made Kare Kare after 3 years. Yes, it has been that long and I am upping it this time by making a video on how to do it.
So, what is Kare Kare?
It is a favorite Filipino food that originated in Pampanga region. To be honest, I have not tried it until I married my husband, who is born and raised in Pampanga. It is a sauce based meal with peanut butter in it. The sauce is creamy and it taste just like a crushed peanuts. I usually use ox tail added with tripe but I have tried making it with beef and the family still like it. Over all, you can use sea foods, pork hocks. It is serve with shrimp paste to accentuate the peanut taste of the sauce. Paired with rice, this meal just made it on top of my favorite Filipino dish.
- 2.17 lbs ox tail
- 1 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1-2 tablespoons of fish sauce I used Rufina Patis
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 lb egg plant
- 2 pieces large bok choy leaves
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 cups of water
- Shrimp Paste
- Put ox tail meat in a ceramic slow cooker.
- Add in water and slow cooked on high for 5 hours and 7 hours on low.
- When meat is ready, separate the soup and ox tail.
- Saute' onion in a deep frying pan and then add the soup. Let it simmer and add the egg plant. Continue cooking until egg plant is tender.
- Add in the peanut butter and mix to blend the soup and the peanut butter.
- Add in fish sauce. Start with 1 tablespoon and add more if you want it to be saltier. The 2 tablespoons was good enough for me.
- Simmer for 1 more minute and add in the ox tail meat and the bok choy leaves. Cook for 4 more minutes and serve hot with shrimp paste.